Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to say hi, I am due to adopt 2 young female Degus (no names picked yet) at the end of August which I am very excited about.

I have managed to order a 3 tier cage, but I'm now struggling to compile a list of everything else I need. :confused: I've never had Goo's before so I really don't want to miss anything. Can anyone advise me on the basics?

I think I am upto date about food/bedding/toys but I can't seem to find a cheap & decent playpen (I live at home so need a pen to let them play in!). Does anyone know where I could find one?

Any help would be fab! :D

Bex

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
I don't know of any pens that can contain degus :lol:. They're great jumpers and climbers. If you can, find one with solid sides rather than bars. Are there any rooms that you can just degu-proof?

Don't forget hay and bath sand :).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I live with my parents so I'm pretty much restricted to my room, which I will find very difficult to Degu proof :(

I think I might try to make a basic run with some safe wood and see what happens :rolleyes:

Do they have timothy hay mostly, and sometimes alfalfa? Also, what do you put on the bottom of the cage?!

Thanks

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
I live with my parents so I'm pretty much restricted to my room, which I will find very difficult to Degu proof :(

I think I might try to make a basic run with some safe wood and see what happens :rolleyes:

Do they have timothy hay mostly, and sometimes alfalfa? Also, what do you put on the bottom of the cage?!

Thanks
Any grass hay works so timothy is fine :). I wouldn't feed alfalfa because of the calcium content (degus should have limited calcium).

Aspen shavings, paper-based bedding (like Carefresh), and pelleted bedding (wood pellets and Yesterday's News) all work well. I used a mixture of aspen shavings and Yesterday's News until I had a degu with an allergy to the shavings. After that, I only used Yesterday's News (the unscented, original texture variety).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.