Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I picked up degus from my local pet store. They are just finished weaning and already hand tame due to my friend who works there spending time with them. They are two girls (better be) as I don't want little ones.
The wheel I made from a cake pan and a roller blade wheel is working great. No sound except for the little claws on it. It's so fast they almost go upside down in a sudden stop.
I am feeding them sunseedsdegu specific pellets, timothy hay and assorted herbs etc from my garden.
I also have wild roses, kiwi and grape vines for them to chew on fresh from my backyard.
They sure are nosey, after only half an hour they were out exploring and into the dust bath. ( glass cookie jar)
I'll post some pics soon of Cinnamon and Spice.
Cheers
Kuhli

·
Registered
467 Posts
That is fantastic! I am so glad things are going so well, I am sure they are enjoying their SPACIOUS new cage.

Your home made wheel reminded me of an exercise wheel I've seen for sale in some places - the one I've seen is QUITE expensive, so I think it's great that you were able to make one, and that it's working so well.

I am really looking forward to seeing their pictures! :)

Congratulations!

·
Registered
477 Posts
Oh what lucky lucky goo girls!

·
Registered
389 Posts
congrats!! Those are cute names! I agree with manasmom, I have saw those wheels online for like $70, your creative and lucky!!!!! I can't wait to get mine. I just need to find some first-- and get a cage! Have fun with your goos!

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Your home made wheel reminded me of an exercise wheel I've seen for sale in some places - the one I've seen is QUITE expensive, so I think it's great that you were able to make one, and that it's working so well.
I have a link to a website on how to make your own wheel somewhere (simular to the one Kuhli has made), i will see if i can find it out, not sure if i've posted it on here before a few years back :confused: Actually have had a go at the one in the link a few years ago and they work really well just don't fit in the type of cages i use at the moment :(

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
Congrats!!! :D I can't wait to see some pictures!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
tada meet cinnamon and spice

Hi all
This is cinnamon, her sister is spice and a lot more shy. They are barely 5 weeks old. They are weaned already and eating nicely.
Cinnamon is already very hand tame and wants out on my hand any time I open the door.
Spice well she is shy but will come out if coaxed.
I added a full length and width of the cage hammock (minus space needed for the ramp at the back)as a 2nd floor to keep the vertical drop to a minimum.
I also bought a fresh coconut today (only$1.28) drilled it to get the milk out and sliced the top off with a saw. I removed the meat and cut a doorway and two windows. (yes I have a workshop with lot's O tools)
The nest material is 100% white keeshond wool. Keeshond are dutch barge dogs. Ours happens to be a white one, they have a wool undercoat.
Anyhow here is the picture.

Finally
PS do they alway poo this much:?

·
Registered
477 Posts
I can't get over how amazing this is.. I mean, Keeshond wool from an under coat, how creative! I can't let my goos hear about this or they'll start rebelling..

·
Registered
467 Posts
Oh look at that little angel. You know, I really never get tired of seeing Baby Degus. Cinnamon is absolutely precious!!!

They pretty well poo quite a bit, I think. It does seem to vary day to day, but they are kind of pooing machines. LOL

Congrats on the little ones, I'm so glad they are getting on so well!

·
Registered
389 Posts
AWWWWWWWWWWWW! How adorable! They are so tiny and cute!! The wool idea is a great one, as with the coconut! Oh I can't wait till I get some!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.