Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone!
This weekend my stepsister brought home a dog from the vet clinic she works at, promising to find him a home soon. He got abandoned at the clinic, and all he needed was ointment applied a couple times a day to a spot on his back. However the vet didn't want to deal with it and they were going to put him down, so she brought him home.

Good news is, my dad, who we have tried for years to convince him to get a dog, wants to keep him. I'm at college so I have only seen pictures, but I am going to meet him today. So excited! He is an Australian Shepherd. Looks purebred to me. And he is 7 years old. me dad says he has been following him around the house all morning.

Here's a picture!

We still don't have a name but we're working on it. I like the name Owen, and my sister agrees.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
aww hes so cute, congrads on the new family member

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! He really is a sweet dog. We still haven't totally decided on a name. My little niece wants to name him Tex. We don't really know where she came up with that but its kinda cute! So we will see.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes. I feel the same. He belonged to a woman and her teenage son. All he needs is ointment applied twice per day. And he is housebroken, sweet, he was wonderful around my 3yr old neice and 6month old nephew. He is very attached to my dad, which we will have to work on, since he whines every time he leaves, but otherwise he is a wonderful dog.

Smart too. It only took a minute for him to distinguish between his toys and the toys of the kids that were all over the floor.

·
laugh often
1,690 Posts
thats awesome. I'm glad this dog got a second chance. He's really pretty

·
Registered
72 Posts
He is a lovely looking dog, so glad he has found a new home with you and your family. Congatulations on the new addition :)

·
Registered
217 Posts
Dogs must not be killed I think. Every dog is a different world..Your dog seems pretty..

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone! I am finding it is really difficult to get everyone to agree on a name. haha.

The previous family's decision to put him down was really unnecessary. The sore is more on his bum really than his back, and maybe they thought that was gross to apply ointment, but its really not that big of a deal. Medical care is something all dog owners have to accept. If the ointment doesn't help he will have to be put on a different diet, but even that is not such an issue.

He will have a good life with us I am sure. We are very active and plan on taking him jogging and biking with us to drain some of his energy, although for an Australian Shepherd, he is relatively calm.

·
Registered
26 Posts
It never ceases to amaze me, the small, simple things people need to do to take care of their pets...that they consider to be "too much to handle." :p

Congrats to your family on the new addition! He's beautiful...I hope you all have many wonderful years together! :)

·
laugh often
1,690 Posts
you can set up a poll on paw talk for the names. :;);

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks again Everyone!

Mousey- I would've had to do that pretty soon if we didn't come up with one, but as of yesterday, he was officially named Duke. :) Not my first choice, but still a cute name.

·
Registered
9 Posts
He looks more like a Tex than a Duke. But if he was named after "the" Duke, well thats still old western.
Was it ring worm on his back?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Infidel-I like that name better too. And no he has an sore by his bum. Definitely not ring worm. I don't know exactly what it's from, but my stepsister, who is a vet tec knows, and is taking care of it.

·
laugh often
1,690 Posts
congrats on the name :yay:

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks! I haven't spent a ton of time around him on account of me being away at school, but my dad says he is great! We're happy to have a new family member.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts