Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:binkie: Bought 2 gerbils. One grey 12 weeks and a black and white one 10 weeks. There're related, I am a first time gerbil owner but I have minded gerbils before. Anyone have any idea what type of gerbil they are? I didn't buy them from a pet shop. I have a plastic base wire cage can they chew through it? What should I feed them apart from pet store bought gerbil food?:confused::confused::confused::confused:
Thanks A Mill,
Caoimhe
Loved By:
Grey and Black+White :gerbil: Brogan Winter Russian Dwarf :hammy: Domino Syrian (R.I.P 24th of April 2011):bhammy: Rawrus and Bumblebean :fish2: Sam Nutbrown Thumper Maguire Lion Head :bun1: Jessie Jack Chi :chih: Pringles:gpig: Charlie (R.I.P 5th of September 2011) :gpig: Milkyway :gp1: Spike :gp2:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I know, this is way after your post. But what the hey...

I had gerbils.

For treats I gave them (every day or so, 1 or 2 of these) : Wheat Thins, saltines & Ritz Crackers - Thin carrot sticks - fresh apple slices - whole seedless grapes (it was great fun to watch them figure them out) - a little sliced fresh peaches - the occasional whole peanut, hazelnut, or walnut (it kept them busy for awhile) - Gerbil/hamster waffle-pattern wafers (they're green & beige) - Cheerios (plain) - raisins.

Always clean the uneaten fresh food out at the end of the day.

·
Registered
15 Posts
It's very possible that they will chew the cage if you don't always provide something positive for them to chew on.

As for human-food treats, I like to give raisins, grapes, cucumbers, baby carrots and pomegranate. Do this in moderation otherwise they can get diarrhea.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts