Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

I just bought a Hedgehog today. Hes 8 months to a year old.

When i had him at the store i had him on a blanket, and i noticed he pooped 2 times while i was holding him, and i'm wondering why hes doing this? Also if it will stop.

Hes Very Shy, i placed a shirt in his hide, my undershirts i wear daily, i'm wondering how long it would take for him to get used to being handled?

And anything else anybody wants to add would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks.

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
He is probably just really nervous from being in a new home.
I would leave him alone for this week, so he has a chance to settle in before you handle him. Once he is more comfortable in his enviornment, he should be start to come out of his shell.

·
Amateur Zookeeper
3,572 Posts
Congrats!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
K, so he woke up just now and came out, i went near him, put my finger in the cage and let him smell me, and then he puffed and went in a ball and went into his hide...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bump please, i'd really like to get some knowledge, and get some help on getting my hedgehog to get used to me, and be able to handle him daily.

Thanks.

·
I'm not weird, I'm gifted
1,530 Posts
If you do some reserch, there's loads of info on how to get them to like you, on the internet.
Personally I like hedgehogcentral.com

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
You cant really get them to stop... He is probably doing it cause he is nervous. When he get used to you, he might stop.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
UPDATE!

I woke him up today, aroudn 7 pm, he was pissed off. I put him on my lap fo a bit, and he was huffing alot, i kept on petting him and holding him, and eventually he stopped!

He still huffs at sudden movements, but im glad hes not as afraid of me anymore !

I think he will turn around great. Hes running on his wheel now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts