Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pet Connection Blog » Pet-food recall: Again, the numbers

I have almost lost my job at the pet store I work at for not keeping this quiet, but when animal's lives are at stake, I WILL NOT shut up!

I found this website that brings up some very troubling information about the pet food recall. They say that two large chain vets have stepped forward and reported that there have actually been at least an approximate 1,800 deaths linked to renal failure and pets who were eating the recalled foods. The AP has been keeping it all hush hush and have reported that only 16 deaths have occured, 15 cats and one dog.

Also, there are people who say that their dogs have been eating the dry dog foods and have also had the same problems with illness and a few deaths. I have only seen reports of this occuring with nutro dry dog foods.

I have been feeding all six of my dogs Nutro Natural Choice dry dog food for about a year now. Back in late October, they all started vomiting a few times a week, always within 3 hours after eating. Pooters, my Chihuahua, started with explosive, bloody diarrhea and greenish yellow vomit had to be admitted in the hospital for four days. The vet said he had been given some kind of poison, possibly rat poison. I thought my roomate had poisoned him because she went a little crazy right around that time. I still haven't ruled that out as a possibility, but I think it's something that needs to be considered in regards to the pet food recall. His problem has recurred every month since for about 4-7 days a month, except it has just been vomit with no diarrhea. However, you can tell his bowels are upset because you can hear them gurgling clear across the house.

After finding the posts talking about problems in association with the Nutro dry dog foods, my mom contacted Nutro and they were very snippy and rude to her. They told her that there is NO way the dry dog foods could be affected because it comes from a different manufacturing company. They are refusing to take back the $130 worth of dry dog and cat food we bought right before the recall. I just threw every bit of it out because I felt like everytime I feed my animals, I'm killing them. I switched them to the new Blue food at Petsmart and guess what.... after being on it for a week we've had absolutely no vomit from any of them.

I also found this in the post:
“I have a friend who works in Petsmart,” Ayers said in a message he sent via the Internet. “Today the Nutro rep. came in the store and, to make a long story short, started restocking all the cans of bad food that that was waiting on a pallet to be returned to the company. The store manager came and asked him what did he think he was doing? He told the manager that Nutro had ordered him to restock, that there is no proof their food was tainted, and he was going to restock.

“Well…the store manager took him into the office, had a few ‘words of prayer’ with him and told him to get out and don’t come back, the manager would call the company, etc., and out he went.

“I have left out the friend’s name, of course, and the location…to protect the friend. But I wanted everyone to know what this one company tried to do in this one store.”

So needless to say, I once recommended Nutro to everyone and considered it to be one of the best foods on the market, but now I'm boycotting it. I feel that they're covering something up and I don't like being lied to, especially when my babies' lives are at stake. I've provided the information and would recommend that everyone do the same, but obviously it's up to you.

And as an after thought, my mom works with this lady who lost one of her dogs (a Shih Tzu mix) and her other one (a Boston Terrier) got really sick, reportedly to rat poison, in December. Don't quote me on this, because I'm not 100% sure, but I think she said she was feeding Nutro Max dry. I'll have to double check and let you know.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, as I started reading towards the end of the page, I also saw reports of Science diet dry and Iams dry dog food causing problems. Also, Nutro moist treats (which I didn't even know existed) that weren't on the recall list. And there are reports of liver problems as well as kidney.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
if that is true it truly is disturbing...at this point it is only heresay since it is from a blog.
Its very sad any number of animals have died due to this problem with menu foods or any brand of pet food :(
If its true im sure we will soon here about this...or lets hope we do.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If I read it correctly, USA Today has reported the actual number of deaths. I agree, the rest of it is heresay as of now. One of the posts said the FDA is launching an investigation on the dry foods.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
Thats what i meant....the rest is hearsay... and yes i hope they do a thourough investigation especially if any of the rest of it turns out to be true... a lot of more pets might be affected if dry food is contaminated too. :(

·
Title Thief Victim
3,089 Posts
Today someone from my town's dog died...it's scary and horrible that this is happening. what if tehy find more food that's causeing harm and my pet's have it :( ill never forgive myself and my life will be over..

Did they say how this food becuase poisend?

·
Registered
710 Posts
Wow, that's just scary if you ask me....

·
Wacky Chimpnose
6,239 Posts
I don't know...I've been feeding Nutro Natural for years, and I've never had any problems. :confused: I returned some wet cat food (different brand) and bought some Nutro wet for the cat and dogs and some dry for dogs. PetCo said they'd removed all the tainted food. And I haven't had any problems.

About the Nutro representatives, including the one restocking the bad food - That's the individual. Who knows - his boss could be an a$$ and told him to do that. I agree that it was crappy, but my animals have always done well on Nutro. :shrug:

It would take more proof for me to make a complete switch.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've heard it was the wheat and I heard it was the meat... Either way, somehow rat poison got in it.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I feed nutro dry and wet to my cats.When I heard about the recall I thorw everthing nutro away and went and got new dry food.I wasn't going to risk the dry having a problem.
I feel horriable for the peoples how cats and dogs died because of this.

·
Registered
710 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
274 Posts
ANd now theyve recalled my cats food... the only food he can eat (hes diabetic).. the hills m/d ... friggin wonderful

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
canned or dry? Where did you find that at?

·
Registered
274 Posts
dry.. and it was on MSN and Yahoo news.. now i have to return it (just bought it 3 days ago) and see what he can eat

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, they've pulled it off of the shelves at work. I just realized that Blue Buffalo food that I've been feeding my dogs from Petsmart doesn't have wheat gluten in it. Whatever they were puking for, they aren't doing it anymore.

·
Registered
269 Posts
It seems more food is recalled ever hour. :(

·
Wacky Chimpnose
6,239 Posts
I just bought some Nutro wet for cats and some Nutro wet and dry for dogs about...3-5 days ago. And everything seems fine. Should I contact anyone to find out if something is up? Are the symptoms delayed? I just haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary.

I bought the new food cause PetCo said they sent all the bad food back.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts