Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This funny looking little pink thing is Miyuki, our newest addition...

She's newly hatched in that photo. She is a Diablo Blanco leopard gecko, and hatched on June 14th. My adult leopard geckos, Haku and Aurora, are her parents. I was very privileged to actually be able to watch her hatch! Here are a few random shots out of all the ones I took while she was hatching...

She is 4 days old now and doing well. Very feisty and active. She's already starting to change her colors and isn't that bright pink color anymore. She should be all white with red eyes when she's an adult.

Everyone kept telling me about how nasty leopard gecko babies can be, that they like to scream and bite because they are not used to humans yet. I was all prepared to get my first leopard gecko bite from her...but other than running around her tank like a nut when I check on her, she's been very civil towards me ;) I'm starting to think I'll never get bit by a leopard gecko, lol.

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
OMG congrats!! I heard how hard it is to be breeding reps. It's not cute perse but I think its neat!! :) How long will it take for her to be adult?

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Oh congrats! He's cute in his own weird way.

When I had leos,they would breed and my female laid eggs,but she laid duds (that is why the breeder gave her to me). I didn't know they could scream though...interesting.

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
Aww, she's adorable! She looks like a mutant pinky. :D
That's awesome that you get to watch her hatch and everything. Did you incubate more of the eggs, or just this one?

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
She's so cute! :heart: You should take a picture of her near a coin or something, I bet she's tiny!

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll work on getting some more pictures. She's tiny...just 4 grams when she hatched but I haven't weighed her again since. I wanted to measure how long she is, but she moves around so much that it's hard for me to even get decent pictures of her now.

Yup leo's can scream, it's pretty normal for the babies. You can find videos of them doing it on youtube. Haku, my adult male, is actually pretty vocal for a leo and will make noises when I handle him, but so far I haven't heard a peep out of the baby.

Her egg is the only one I've incubated full term so far. Aurora laid another egg at the same time as Miyuki's egg but it ended up being infertile.

She should reach her full adult size somewhere between 12 - 18 months, some take a little bit longer or grow a little bit faster so it's just an estimate. I'm looking forward to watching her grow. If you can't tell by the fact that we already named her, we will be keeping her :)

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
My male would make faint growly-hissy sounds if he was grumpy,but that is the only noise I heard out of my geckos. My female never ever made a sound. I shall look on YouTube! :)

Yay for more pics. I look forward to seeing her grow.

Are you planning on breeding geckos or just keeping this little one?
Just curious. I knew a couple of leo breeders here,but they either moved or stopped breeding...but it was neat going to their houses and seeing all the different morphs and such. I love geckos.

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nope she'll be getting her own tank. Right now she's so small that the other two might try to eat/hurt her. But when she's older I wouldn't want to put her with the other two just because her father would most likely try to breed with her, and I don't want that.

She's in a tiny cage right now since she's so small but I'll be setting up at least a 20 long tank for her once she gets a bit older/bigger.

Yeah I'm planning on breeding more, but keeping it very very small scale. Right now I just have Haku and Aurora breeding, and I'll probably keep it that way for awhile. Maybe get another pair or two eventually, but not any time too soon.

Here she is today - 4 days old. You can see she's already starting to change colors a bit. She's next to a nickle so you can kind of judge her size. It's so hard to get good photos of her, she never wants to stay still.

·
Registered
110 Posts
wow shes beautiful i didnt know they could be that color when they hatch o.o are you sure shes a girl? i was told i wouldnt be able to tell for sure with mine till they were much bigger =/ and i was bitten once by ickis cuz my cat scared her but it didnt hurt it was more of a shock bite then a intentional chomp. Ickis used to scream when i got her =D she stopped after 2 weeks and now she looks up and will wait for me to pick her up when i walk up to the cage. albi still runs =/

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They aren't normally that color as hatchlings but she is because of her morph. Normally they are yellow with bands unless they are a special morph.

Nope I'm not 100% sure she's really a girl but her egg was incubated at female temps. A lot of the time you can determine leopard gecko sex by the temperature you use to incubate the eggs at. At lower temps, most of the babies will be female. At higher temps, you get mostly males.

Until she proves me otherwise, I'm going to keep calling her a girl haha.

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
wow, so you can play god by regulating the temp to make a boy or girl?!?!! COOL!!!
... And if you switch the temps during the incubation, you end up with females that act male, or vice versa LOL.
So you can basically make shmann geckos.

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Lol...I wouldn't call them "shmann geckos" per say. It's not like they have any body parts they aren't suppose to or anything like that.

There is some controversy about all that "hot female" "cold male" stuff. Old studies done in like the 80's I think said that hot females where more aggressive than normal females and sterile. But further studies done more recently (1993 I believe) pretty much contradicted the earlier studies and showed that hot females (females incubated at high temperatures throughout the whole incubation period) mature at a slower rate than normal, but they do eventually become fertile and can breed normally. Later studies also didn't find that the so called hot females where significantly more aggressive as a whole than your average leo.

Oveously something is going on there that it makes the "hot females" reach sexually maturity later than what's normal, but after they do hit sexual maturity a lot of them will calm down and act more like your typical female leo.

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
Shmann is close enough, LOL! :p
I read that the "hot" females were infertile and always layed dud eggs, but I guess you would know more about it than I would.

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm sure there are some of them that lay dud eggs. But then again, there are also perfectly normal/healthy females who also lay dud eggs. The latest research suggests that not all hot females are infertile though. Many of them do eventually become sexually mature and are able to produce normal eggs.

I think the problem was that the original study on hot females didn't last very long. So the researchers assumed that the females where infertile when they didn't become sexually mature at the normal age and that became the common belief. However, future studies monitored the females for a longer time period and discovered that they did eventually mature and where able to lay normal fertile eggs, it just took them longer than normal to mature. Basically, because they seem to mature later than normal, the original researchers didn't monitor them long enough for them to become mature and able to prove that they weren't sterile.

The aggression thing some people think is a myth as well. Not everyone...but a lot of people think it just has to do with the individual temperaments of each reptile. Some of them are more aggressive than others, irregardless to whether their eggs where incubated too hot or not. It's very easy for someone to get an aggressive gecko and based on that just assume that she's a hot female, even though she may have been incubated at normal temperatures. Some of them just seem to have more of an attitude than others.

Some people say that certain morphs or colors are more aggressive than others too. I had someone tell me that my Miyuki would be nasty based on her morph...but I haven't so far found that to be the case at all. She's actually been very easy going as far as baby leopard geckos go.

I think this stuff is really interesting. If anyone is interested in looking at the studies I mentioned, I'm sure I can find them. I believe they are PDF files though which are a pain to open, for me at least, but I can try to post them.

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
Hmm, I didn't know that morph could possibly determine their personality? That's weird, because as far as beardies go, all morph have the same friendly-ness.

Any new pictures of your little one?? :D

·
Registered
110 Posts
They aren't normally that color as hatchlings but she is because of her morph. Normally they are yellow with bands unless they are a special morph.

Nope I'm not 100% sure she's really a girl but her egg was incubated at female temps. A lot of the time you can determine leopard gecko sex by the temperature you use to incubate the eggs at. At lower temps, most of the babies will be female. At higher temps, you get mostly males.

Until she proves me otherwise, I'm going to keep calling her a girl haha.
thats pretty cool i knew you could do that with larger reptiles didnt know it worked the same with smaller ones like geckos =o

1 - 20 of 31 Posts