Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

My furpals are numerous! One Great Dane, Max who is almost two; a sixteen year old part siamese cat, 3 Red Eared Sliders, 23 fish, 5 rats, 4 gerbils, and many, many hamsters! All except Max are rescues. The Hamsters are a new thing, and they have multiplied rapidly!

My first hamster, "Big Mama" was the innocent start: I work at a pet store, and we had a blind hamster who could not be sold, so I said, what the heck, I'll take her home and she can live her life out with my furry family! Well, she soon presented me with 11 babies. It was great fun raising them, and at weaning time, I dutifully separated the pups by sex and took them back to the store to sell. Some time later, we had a population explosion of Black Bears in the store and no where to house the mamas and their litters; I ended up with three mamas and 22 babies! I sold the first litter of 11 to a smaller pet store, and of the remaining 11 (two litters, born 5 days apart) I have sold two males. I still have 6 females and 3 males. One of the litters consisted of 3 black and three sandy colored babies. I am intrigued as both parents are black (Black Bears)! The sandy colored ones--all girls look and act just like Balck Bears with identical white chest markings. I have dubbed them "Cinnamon Bears." I would like to hear from anyone else who might have "Cinnamon Bears." I assume there is a recessive gene that causes this color, or perhaps a double dilute recessive gene.

I also have a motley array of older unwanted hamsters enjoying life at the "rodent retirement home," and a family (all female!) of tiny dwarf hamsters who entertain the dog endlessly with their busy activities!

Furpal

· Registered
1,875 Posts
:wave: Welcome! :wave: Wow, you must be busy with all those hammies! It must be fun watching them though! It's nice to meet you! I hope you post often, I am looking forward to getting to know you and your crew!
:fun:

· Registered
1,202 Posts
Welcome! :wave:

My kids have two dwarf hammies and a black bear. I've seen the "cinammon" colored ones at the pet store in the black bear tank.

Our hammies provide hours of entertainment for our dog, Cookie, too!

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
computer pics

Thank-you all for your warm welcomes! I am pretty close to being a true computer illiterate, but as soon as I can get someone to show me how to post pics, I will do so!

I placed one Female black bear into a new home today--Betsey is six months old and very gentle. Two of the gerbils were adopted earlier this week to a nice home together. That leaves me with only 52 hamsters, 2 gerbils, 5 rats, 3 turtles, 1 cat, 1 dog and 25 fish (and a partridge in a pear tree!).

Two cinnamon girls and their three black sisters (born Feb. 5) are going to the store tomorrow to look for new homes. Big Mama (Teddy Bear) has 13 new babies (sired by Bubba, also a Teddy Bear) born on the 10th and Susie has 4 cinnamon and 6 blacks in her new litter born on the 3rd. Bart is the sire of Susie's litter--both he and Susie are Black Bears.

The three Re-Eared Sliders came from a customer who was tranferred to Okinawa and needed a home for them. They are all girls. One is 3 inches, one is 4 inches and the biggest one measures 7 inches. They had been kept in a 10 gallon tank until they came to live at my zoo--I have them in a 20 long temporarily while I get my 125 set up for them. I am setting it up as a paludarium with live plants.

Furpal

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.