Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I brought home a new mousie , today. She was turned into my vet by a pet store closing down. She's in good health but overweight. She's about 6 months old. My vet could only suggest that I get her to move around. Can anyone be more specific with advice. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
you could offer her a wheel put her on a good diet, and if shes a female i suggest getting her a friend females, do better in groups

·
Mouse Obsessor
287 Posts
You can also put her food/treats on a platform higher up (if your cage has bars or you could get ropes) so she has to climb to get at them to make sure she works out a little. And if overeating is her problem you could get her some boxes and toilet paper rolls and such so she has something to keep her mouth busy.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You can also put her food/treats on a platform higher up (if your cage has bars or you could get ropes) so she has to climb to get at them to make sure she works out a little. And if overeating is her problem you could get her some boxes and toilet paper rolls and such so she has something to keep her mouth busy.
Thanks for a great suggestion. The cage came with 2 platforms and I've only put one in. Will add the 2nd level to give her exercise:)

·
Mouse Obsessor
287 Posts
Good. :)
Put some green leaf lettuce up there, I am sure that will make her want to climb. Mice love green leaf lettuce. lol

·
Mouse Obsessor
287 Posts
No problem. :)
It will be difficult getting her weight down though. Alot of mice are prone to obesity and have a hard time shedding the oz. lol
She also might have a thyroid issue.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No problem. :)
It will be difficult getting her weight down though. Alot of mice are prone to obesity and have a hard time shedding the oz. lol
She also might have a thyroid issue.
I got her from my vet. Would a thyroid test have been automatically done or should I call and find out after he returns from vacation?

·
Mouse Obsessor
287 Posts
I am not sure if they test for thyroid automatically.
I would ask your vet when you can if they did a test or not.
It would be helpful to know if anything is causing her weight gain. Not just for overall health, but to make sure she does not get things like diabetes.

What are you feeding her as her normal meals?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am not sure if they test for thyroid automatically.
I would ask your vet when you can if they did a test or not.
It would be helpful to know if anything is causing her weight gain. Not just for overall health, but to make sure she does not get things like diabetes.

What are you feeding her as her normal meals?
Hi. My vet advised Kaytee Rat & Mouse Food as her steady diet. He told me to give her small pieces of carrots and sunflower seeds on alternating days. Would you advise a change. I appreciate your help. She also has a flat wheel (no spaces) for exercise. Thanks.

·
Mouse Obsessor
287 Posts
Solid wheels are the best. They prevent the mouse from slipping and breaking limbs. Also make sure the wheel is large enough so she does not have to bend or curve her tail on her back to run. Overtime, small wheels cause the mouse to be hunch-backed or their tail to curve permanently.
As for food, nuts and seeds like sunflower seeds are very high in fat. If you want her to lose weight I would suggest not giving her these things.
Mine always liked green leaf lettuce, bits of cucumber, rolled oats, and celery (do not know about mice, but with humans celery helps us process food better). Also, I have heard mice should not have corn.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Solid wheels are the best. They prevent the mouse from slipping and breaking limbs. Also make sure the wheel is large enough so she does not have to bend or curve her tail on her back to run. Overtime, small wheels cause the mouse to be hunch-backed or their tail to curve permanently.
As for food, nuts and seeds like sunflower seeds are very high in fat. If you want her to lose weight I would suggest not giving her these things.
Mine always liked green leaf lettuce, bits of cucumber, rolled oats, and celery (do not know about mice, but with humans celery helps us process food better). Also, I have heard mice should not have corn.
Hi. Yes her solid wheel is large enough, as you describe. I will switch to diet you advise. Should she have a piece of lettace or other foods every day? Do you think a female companion would be helpful? Thanks

·
Mouse Obsessor
287 Posts
I gave mine a smallish piece everyday. How you will know if you are giving her too much is if she gets diarrhea. And then you would just not give her some for a few days until her stool goes back to normal.
It is reccommended to get female compainions, as females live longer happier lives when is groups of at least two. I have heard however that large groups sometimes become aggressive with eachother. I had a group of 4 once that suddenly ganged up on one of them and chewed her ears off.
Also, some females are just plain mean. You would obviously have to make sure their personalities match. :)
She is most likely to get along with a young mouse. And of course you would have to put the new one in QT for about 30 days to make sure it is not ill.
I would say to do some research on intros with mice, as there are a few ways to go about it. You could put their cages next to eachother, then maybe give each one bits of the others used bedding to get used to smell, and then let them vist eachother in a place neither of them has ever been. Then if all goes well put them together and keep close eye on them (after cleaning out the cage and putting all new or cleaned stuff in of course). And to lessen the risk of fighting, when they are in the same cage put two food dishes and two water bottles and maybe two beds so they do not suddenly feel cramped together.

·
Amateur Zookeeper
3,572 Posts
You could also get a wheel! But don't leave her in it for too long each time :)
Good luck with her! Pics? ;)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I gave mine a smallish piece everyday. How you will know if you are giving her too much is if she gets diarrhea. And then you would just not give her some for a few days until her stool goes back to normal.
It is reccommended to get female compainions, as females live longer happier lives when is groups of at least two. I have heard however that large groups sometimes become aggressive with eachother. I had a group of 4 once that suddenly ganged up on one of them and chewed her ears off.
Also, some females are just plain mean. You would obviously have to make sure their personalities match. :)
She is most likely to get along with a young mouse. And of course you would have to put the new one in QT for about 30 days to make sure it is not ill.
I would say to do some research on intros with mice, as there are a few ways to go about it. You could put their cages next to eachother, then maybe give each one bits of the others used bedding to get used to smell, and then let them vist eachother in a place neither of them has ever been. Then if all goes well put them together and keep close eye on them (after cleaning out the cage and putting all new or cleaned stuff in of course). And to lessen the risk of fighting, when they are in the same cage put two food dishes and two water bottles and maybe two beds so they do not suddenly feel cramped together.
Hi. I admire your knowledge:D
I'm definitely changing the diet and I think it's good to get another female companion for her (her name is Chi). I know that QT is necessary. I've used the method you describe of putting cages together and then switching bedding, etc. to get 2 guinea pigs I have in the same cage. That took quite a while. I feel sorry for Chi by herself and I think that, down the road, if all goes well, it might increase her activity to have a companion. I'll start by asking for any more rescues from my vet. If none, I'll get a young gal from a reputable pet shop. So many keep them in deplorable condition. My thought is that the worst that can happen is that I'll have 2 females in separate cages, if they don't get along.
I adore mice. I have 2 hairless mice, who came to me from a friend who could no longer keep them but they came together as a pair and so getting Chi with a new gal will be a learning experience. Mice are so intelligent, as are all rodents but people give them a bad reputation.
Chi had her first tiny piece of lettace, a while ago and ate it:D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts