Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the pet store the other day to get new bedding (because I"ve learned here that pine is BAD) and for some quality food for them (because paying 7.00 for 2lbs of food was NOT going to work) and made the mistake of looking in their feeder tank.

Steve, a lightly marked siamese boy, came home with me. He's a little skittish and every once in a while a noise 'sets him off' and he attempts to scramble to safety. He doesn't bite, though. :) He'll tame down. He's playful as heck, too, wrestles around with my older Newton, and even when first introduced they never did fight. Newton needed someone to live with NOT a female, anyways. I did get some Yesterdays News for litter and am LOVING it and the rat/mouse blocks they use for their rats/mice.

I now have 3 females and 2 males. :)

My preggo rat also just had her 'ratlets' yesterday. I cleaned my room, moved the tanks about, and even vaccuumed. I had afriend over and me and the dogs were wrestling about... And I noticed I hadn't seen her out of her little box in awhile. So, I peek in the box and sure enough there's squeeking noises and blood! So I just shut it all back up and left her alone. Of course she picked the noisy day. :rolleyes: This morning I avoided her vicious attacks (protective!) and stole the babies to get a good look at them. I even had to go as far as draping a towel loosely in front of her box so she can't see out - if I grabbed her feed dish or shuffled the bedding around she would charge out on the attack. She was such a sweet little girl before babies, too. :)

Newton, the father, is a black with a little bit of white on his belly and white feet. She's a dumbo berkshire. She had 11 for her first litter, 3 red eyeds and 8 black eyed. Can't wait till they start getting their color in, I'm interested to see what color those red eyeds are! I attempted to determine gender but yeah, right... LOL not experienced enough for that!

Pics coming soon!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
pics!

Steve:

Babies:

Anti-attack device:

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just cleaned the box, counted, and looked for dead ones. I looked at the hind end of a couple, but had no idea, lol. They were only out for 5 min, worth it ti prevent the blood from starting to smell/harming babies.

Otherwise, I'm not messing with babies but she's making it hard to get her food.

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Awwwwww...Steve is a beautiful rat! I want!

I also think you should leave the babies alone for a few days.
Are you keeping any of them? Make sure mommy gets extra protien in her diet as well! :yes:

·
Will It Ever Change?
7,346 Posts
congrats on steve! just like my timmy but he's a dumbo. and the babies! those are fun :)

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh, I might be keeping one or two. I shouldn't make it habit, though, lol... I already have 5 adults. I guess if I have more I won't have to breed each female lots of times like most feeder breeders do, though. And it's not like I can't find room for them...

Such a bad influence on me, lol. :) hey, as long as I can house, feed, and care for them all properly, more won't hurt. :)

Don't worry, she's convinced me to leave her alone. They're not to exciting to hold yet anyways, because I'm always afraid of hurting the fragile little guys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts