Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there.

My name is Nagi and I'm from the great white yonder of a land called Canada. I currently am the troll living in the basement, it's a basement suite but it sounds so funny to say that.

In my household we have quite a few pets, they outnumber us humans but it's okay really...Most are caged and they're great company.

There's three cats, one of them being mine. The roommates cats are Syrup and Pancake while my eight year old grey tuxedo cat is named Seph. Seph was born from a stray I had picked up. He was born on my bed and was the only kitten in the litter. We have a very special bond due to all the time we spent together when he was very little. He has a bit of a neurotic personality and is very slow to warm up to people but he knows tricks like sit up, stay, and turning in a circle. He's very obedient and actually listens to me when I tell him no. This has made him a wonderful protector for the pocket pets as he will chase Syrup and Pancake from my room when they get too close to the cages (the basement has no walls) His favorite foods are freeze dried turkey and oddly he steals some of the gerbil treats now and again.

Then there's the pocket pets.

There's Nozomu, my three year old gerbil. I got her when she was four to six months old. She was company for my older gerbil Yuuki, who was a rescue. Yuuki was dropped as a pup and knawed off a broken paw because of it and was then returned to the pet store. She lived to a ripe old age. She was a month shy of being around 6 years old when she passed away this past October. Nozomu really loves to dig and move her wheel and her favorite treats...Well she's surprisingly not food oriented...is a small piece of fresh fruit. Yuuki means Courage and Nozomu is Hope in Japanese. Yuuki is also very close to Yuki, which means snow...and as you can guess Yuuki was white with red eyes. Nozomu is cinnamon hued with a white belly

Xin Xin, or Buddy as he was named by his previous owner is a Russian Grey Dwarf Hamster. I just got him recently. I was actually told it was a gerbil, and I was hoping to introduce Nozomu to a new, older friend instead of getting another pup...But that doesn't work out since Xin Xin is a hamster. Xin Xin means hope in Chinese just cause I thought it would be funny to link the two names together since Xin Xin was supposed to be Nozomu's playmate...Plus I still have to call him Buddy once in awhile when talking to the previous owners. He's two and a half years old and is moving pretty slow but he's oh so cute. He loves to run around in his ball like mad and really enjoys being held and cuddled. My favorite memory thus far, which put me into stitches, was when he decided to roll off my shoulder, into my lap then rolled off again...Luckily into my hand. He wasn't phased at all and just looked up at me with an "oh hey there" look. It was precious.

Finally the newest addition to this circus is my Degu's Nutmeg and Cinnamon. I just aquired them from a lady last week who could no longer care for them between a young child and a dog with a vendetta. As I just got them last week, they are still adjusting. I can handle Nutmeg, but Cinnamon is still far too shy though he licks my fingers and allows me to pet him in cage. I'm pretty sure they're male but it's been hard to sex them since they don't really trust me enough yet to hold still. We have a very large rabbit hutch for them and they enjoy the space. It's fun to watch them climb up the sides of the cage to get a good look at their surroundings and I get the same fuzzy feeling watching them sleep together as I did when Yuuki and Nozomu slept all curled together in a ball. I am still learning their favorite treats and finding ones that fit a diet very low in sugar but they liked the herb and veggie balls I got them, though they get those very sparingly since they do have some added sugar.

If you want to see pictures you can look me up on Deviantart, it won't let me link pics. My user name is Sabriel-chan there and the pics of my pets will be of course under animals.

I hope to get to know all of you and your pets, and thank you for reading this far...I tend to get all gushy about my little guys.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Good morning Nagichan and welcom to the forum. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your post. I see you have quite the wide variety of pets and can tell from your post you think the world of each and every one of them!! :D
I am very familiar with Deviantart. My daughter frequents their site very often. They have some of the most spectacular art I have ever seen. I will have to pop in and check out the pics of your little cuties!!
I think it's extra-cool that you have trained your cat. Our Littleman is trained to do one thing. Potty outside. Other than that he mostly has us trained to do as he says, LOL!!
I look forward to seeing you around the site and hearing more about your little ones. :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would have t say that training Seph was very easy, he just seemed wired to want to do tricks. On his own he plays fetch. Funniest thing is most people train with food but Seph is a little bit bigger so I trained with positive reinforcement and pets. When he does a trick he gets a huge "good boy!" and a cuddle. Though it irks me that he is less likely to do said tricks with an audience, apparently he thinks they'll steal his cuddles.

Deviantart does have some of the best artists and photographers/cosplayers out there and for the most part it's a very welcoming community. I am happy to see this is a warm community as well, thank you for the wonderful welcome :D

·
Registered
187 Posts
We have always taught all of our animals using positive reinforcement. I prefer it because the other method just seems like bribery to me. Besides our pets get plenty of treats "just 'cuz" and I think they love the cuddles and praise more than any treat. That's just me though. Everyone has different methods. I figure whatever works.
Yes there are some very nice people here at Paw Talk. Sadly many of them have drifted away in the past year [and more even before I joined] for whatever reason.
I've noticed some have returned in the past week after long absences. That's pretty cool!! Maybe there is hope for recovery yet :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts