Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just got 2 baby female dumbo rats from PetsMart on Sunday, Angel & Juliet.

Juliet has been making noises every once in a while. I dunno how to explain the noises tho. I dunno if chirps is the word for it. I was thinking it was a respriatory thing so I brought her back to PetsMart. 1 of the vet techs there listened to her and said she didn't hear anything that would make them think it was a respriatory problem. It's not continuous, just once in a while. I started hearing it a little bit from Angel now too. I've started thinking that they might be hiccups?

I didn't think rats were suppose to make noises.

Any help would be appreciated!

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Sounds like it could be RI's. I would find a reputable rat vet and get a second opinion.

No offense,but I would only take what Petsmart "vets" say with a grain of salt. I rather seek out a vet that is certified in treating small animals. Rats generally don't make noise like that,not that we can hear anyways (except the occasional squeak).

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
They aren't used to me taking them out of the cage yet. I just got them on Sunday. Angel will come up to the door and play with me while she's still in the cage and will crawl into my hand and she'll let me take her out but I don't think she likes coming out much. I think cuz she's still young. I think they're around 2 or 3 months old. Juliet won't come up to me. She won't even smell my hand. She still hides when I walk up to the cage. It took me a while to get her to bring her to PetsMart. I held her for a little bit when we got back and she sniffed me then.

Should I wait until they're totally comfortable with me taking them out?

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
It does take patience and a bit of time for your new rats to get used to their new surroundings. Right now they are understandably a bit nervous and shy, but with soothing words and letting them get used to their new house, they will soon start to relax more when they learn they are safe with you. Rats are very loving and affectionate once they get over their initial shyness and being scared of a new home and a new person. Just take it one day at a time and don't rush it too much. They will learn your smell, the sound of your voice, etc. :yes:

Sometimes rats have an adjustment period in a new home where they have some respiratory issues..going from one housing set up to another..the stress can lower their immune systems and so forth. But if they are still making clicking, hiccuping noises after a few days of settling in, it would be good to ease your mind and get an appointment set up with a good local small animal vet who specializes in small animals, not the usual cat and dog type vet. I am sure your new girls will learn to love you very soon. Just give them time and be gentle and loving. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
One more thing to keep in mind...make sure there are no irritants in their environment that can cause respiratory problems. For example, no bedding that is scented or pine type bedding..very bad for sensitive ratty noses. Also make sure whatever bedding you are using is not too dusty. Many people use things like fleece toweling, Carefresh Ultra, Cell Sorbent (spelling?) or aspen. Just stay away from things like pine bedding, wood shavings, sawdust, etc. Also make sure there are no irritants in the house such as strong perfumes, incense, scented cleaners or air freshening type products. These can all cause problems for rats.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've had rats before. These 2 are my third pair. This is just the first time I've had a pair that I think might have respriatory problems and I don't really know what to do. I think I'll probably make a vet appt.. It's just that I don't have a lot of money, so I'm hoping it won't cost a lot. I use CareFresh bedding.

·
canis lupus familiaris
552 Posts
Yeah store vets might be a little stupid. However are you sure it was vocal sounds or was it more of a grinding sound? Rats will grind their teeth when content.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I brought them to the vet today. She said Angel's lungs sounded good, but Juliet sounded a little congested. She did hear Angel sneezing too. She gave me antibiotics to give them twice a day for 10 days. They struggled a lot when my mom & I gave them the medicines today, so I'm trying to think of an easier way to do it, starting tomorrow morning. Is it ok to mix it in with applesauce?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah store vets might be a little stupid. However are you sure it was vocal sounds or was it more of a grinding sound? Rats will grind their teeth when content.
I've had two other pairs of rats before. I know what bruxing is. It wasn't that. My other rats used to do that & eye boggled too.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Yes, I always mixed in my rats' meds into things like baby food or one of their treats. Much easier to give them their meds when it is mixed in with something they like. I double checked with my small animal vet on that before I tried it and she said it was perfectly fine to give them their meds mixed into a treat/baby food, whatever you think your babies like a lot.

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
When I have to give my rats an antibiotic and they are a little fussy,I put the dose into a bit of fruit flavored baby food and they lap it up no problem. Try that.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I tried mixing it with applesause last night and tried with greek yogurt (thats all we have) this morning. They wouldn't take either.

**We're going out later so I'm gonna buy a jar of baby food and vanilla yogurt and hope they like one of them!!

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Try something like bananas or blueberry or something like that. Mine really love the banana, strawberry and blueberry baby foods.

They also love vanilla yogurt.

Good luck.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I got apple & blueberry baby food (they didn't take it). I got vanilla yogurt (they didn't take it).

Ugh! I'm just gonna have to keep forcing it. I read that even if it gets on the fur around their mouth then they clean it off, it still goes into their system. So, I really hope they get it.

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
I am sorry your rats are being so picky...it is possible they are being super cautious because they are not fully used to you yet?

You will just have to force it then. I never had any rats refuse baby food or yogurt,even with the meds in it. And I even had a couple of rats who would gladly lick the syringe.

Maybe with time they will get better or start to like the baby food? Hopefully anyways.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, I'm guessing it's cuz they aren't fully used to me. But Angel does play with me while she's still in the cage. She'll play tug-a-war with me with one of the toys. It's so cute! And Juliet is starting to smell and lick my finger... she chews on my fingernails too. I dunno if she's grooming me already, but she chews on my fingernails. Angel bruxed & eye boggled for the first time today too, while I was scratching her head... she was still in the cage.

My girl Daisy had cancer when she got older & I had to give her medicine, but she was totally used to me and everything so she just took the medicine easily and she liked it so she'd gobble it out of the syringe. lol

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Yeah, you just haven't found a baby food they love yet..and I agree with what Vanilla said. I have never heard of a rat that didn't love at least one type of baby food. Just have to figure out what that flavor is! My boys for instance, loved banana, the fruit, but they did not like banana baby food. ??
But when I tried squash and peas baby food, they LOVED it so much! I found this out after trying about 6 different flavors. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I don't know. I don't have that kind of money to just keep buying bottles of baby food. I know they're not that much, but everything adds up.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Usually baby food cost me under a dollar a jar, but if you want, you can always improvise at home too. Maybe you have some types of fruits or veggies (not citrus) that you could mash up or puree in your blender? Instant baby food.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts