Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a wonderful rat named Daisy. She's just about as sweet as can be. I take her out for hours of the day and she seems content, as she bruxes and boggles very often. I do feel guilty, though, as when I am away, she is left alone in her cage. I'm thinking of getting her a friend. The thing is, I've had Daisy for 8-9 months and she's gotten very used to being alone. I'm afraid that if I did end up buying another rat, she would be defensive/aggressive towards the other rat. What should I do?

·
Rodentologist
1,941 Posts
First of all, try adopting or visiting a reputable breeder! A reputable rescue or breeder will help you find the perfect friend for Daisy and will help you with introductions. It's a very rare rat that is unsocial, especially after such a short time alone. All of my personal rats came from Craigslist, and had lived alone their entire lives, and they very quickly learned the joys of a big snuggly rat pile and having boxing matches with their siblings.

·
Rodentologist
1,941 Posts
I would try a rescue or a reputable breeder first -- rats from Craigslist are very much like rats from pet stores -- they can be carrying any number of diseases, and you'll need to do a full 4 week quarantine before introductions. You can't quarantine in the same room, and it's even better not to quarantine in the same house!

·
Rodentologist
1,941 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts