Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys !

Just heard my chin "bark" for the first time last night.

At first, I thought he was hurt because I have never heard him make that noise, but when I when to his cage he was just sitting on his favorite level that he prefers to be pet on.

This happened like four more times throughout the night, the barks loud and serious enough to wake me up.

Was he barking so much because he just learned to do it, or was he just wanting attention ?

He stopped barking after I stopped getting up to check on him each time. Just a theory.

Advice ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmm, then maybe it wasn't barking ? Could he have been making some sort of other noise ?

What exactly does barking sound like ?

It was so weird, but I really think it was for attention. Maybe he was mad that I was sleeping and not paying attention to him ?

Like I said, once I got up and pet him he would stop making the noise until I fell back asleep, then he would do it again....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Theirs many reasons a chin will bark like that. The main reason is its a warning call. If they sence some kind of danger theyll sound off. Of course this means they could hear a noise outside, or just something their not frimalar with. And they will often do it a few times in a row. Sometimes they seem to do it for the heck of it to. Iv also seen mine personaly do it as a way to say 'quite down! im trying to sleep!'

·
Registered
78 Posts
My house is pretty quiet, and my chillas have their own room, but sometimes a weird noise will startle one of them and I will hear their alarm call sound. I just ignore it unless it continues and there really is something wrong.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Depending on the Bark it could of also been a way of wanting attention. i know my little guy will make silly noises when he wants me to stop what im doing and come over and say hi! and since chinchillas are more twilight/evening animals that might be why yours is doing it in the pm hours!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts