Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two new baby rabbit that I adopted from a local shelter. They were born on New Years, so are currently two and a half months old. The breeder whom we adopted from said that the one I call Luna is a girl, and that Pluto, is a boy. We got Luna one weekend, and decided that she needed a pal, so we adopted another one of her siblings, Pluto the next weekend. When we brought Pluto home we re-introduced them and immediately, Luna began to hump Pluto. So the first this that I did was separate them. Now that they are a couple weeks older, I am beginning to feel two nipples on both of them. Could this mean that they are the same sex or do both male and female rabbits have nipples?
:dance:
Please Help Me!

·
I'm not weird, I'm gifted
1,530 Posts
With all mammals, both male and female have nipples.
They can be hard to se at the male, with some species though. If this is the case whith rabbits, I'm not quite sure.
It's actually quite late the fetus develops the male or female genitals. That's also why some individuals get born with both male and femal genitals...

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
Nipples on male rabbits are, in my experience, really hard to notice.

Humping shouldn't be used to determine sex - both males and females will hump to show dominance.

The only sure way to tell what sex they are is to look at their genetils.

But either way - you shouldn't be putting them together or trying to bond them until they are fixed. If they are both the same sex, they could fight. If they are a male and a female, they will breed - it only takes seconds for the females to become pregnant. It wouldn't be a good idea to breed them when they're are already thousands of homeless rabbits in shelters. Also they are related, so that is considered imbreeding and can result in some very unhealthy babies.

http://www.debmark.com/rabbits/sexing.htm

·
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes
2,934 Posts
I just checked Teddy and I cannot detect any nipples but I swear I could feel them on Ollie when I had checked him.
It is best to keep them in cages next to each other until they are fixed. Once they have healed from the spay/neuter it should be easier to bond them because they will still be used to each other. That is what I did with Ophelia and Oliver. They bonded pretty much immediately.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts