Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been grooming Horatio, and noticed that he's pretty warm. I know how warm all of that fur is, but his coat is fairly thin right now. I took a thermometer and held it between his ears, because they were really hot, and I got 102.9, which from a quick google search, is the high end of normal. Its summer, but he lives indoors, and the air conditioner is almost always on, in fact, I'm freezing in here! He's a little overweight, maybe thats contributing to it? I have had a hard time managing his weight, he was chubby when I got him, then I switched his food, and he slimmed down, but its been fluctuating ever since. Should I be worried that he's warm? I could try to get him to the vet tomorrow, but thats going to cost me a fortune... I don't want to take him if its normal, but if I have to, I will. Barbie is just fine, she is in the cage right next to him, so if he were sick, she would be, too. I think its just the fur and the weight, but I want more opinions.

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
I think he's ok - as long as he's not showing any symptoms of being sick I wouldn't worry too much. Plus I think I remember reading that rabbits lose heat from the inside of their ears because of the blood vessels there and because theres not as much fur there - maybe that's why you got a slightly high reading taking it from his ears.

If I were you I would just moniter him and take him to the vet if he stops eating or appears to be sick. Remember, not all humans have a normal temperature of exactly 98.6*F - it could just be that his normal temp is on the high end.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know they lose heat from their ears, but I still panic sometimes. losing my hamster unexpectedly is making me very paranoid, I can't deal with losing another pet right now, so I'm just being overly cautious. He eats plenty, and drinks plenty. I'll just keep an eye on him, I guess. He's usually a bit warm, but I don't remember him being quite as hot as he is now.

·
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes
2,934 Posts
Can you take his temp the way the doctors do? That would give you the best reading. I have always chickened out when I tried to do it to the dogs and cats so I could not imagine doing it to a bunny. Maybe you could call the vet tomorrow and ask the normal ear temperature of a bunny. I was very surprised at how hot Penelope's skin was on her tush. She molted all the fur off her tushie and it was rather bald. I make sure my hands are not too cold when I pick her up now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts