Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I have an interesting issue/non issue. My fiancée and I are looking into going in on a mobile home with her mother and grandfather. If I'm getting into a mobile home, I would like to get myself a dog (thinking something in the general idea of a boston terrier, pug, french bulldog) but there is a little problem. This is a three bedroom mobile home, and my counterpart's mother has...hold on I have to count from memory...four cats. This leads me to two different lines of thought.
1. Should I even bother to get a dog? I mean, that's a lot of animals for a three bedroom place and that's a lot of cats for a dog to try and avoid.
2. If I do get a dog, it's clearly going to have to be separated from the rest of the animals while people aren't home (and my fiancée's grandfather counts as no-one home) so should I take the extra step and get two dogs so they at least have some company?

I'm gone anywhere from two to four hours a day currently but I'm working on finding a part time job on top of my full time schooling so I really am concerned about the second bit of the list.

---Oh! And yes, when it becomes pertinent I will speak with all people involved to get their feelings on the matter.--

·
Fluffy Gerbilshorts
4,378 Posts
As far as you not being home, I don't think that's an issue. IMO dogs and cats can handle themselves as long as they're not alone ALL the time.

As far as the cats, I would definitely look into a dog that is a puppy. It seems like if you raise at least one of the animals from when they're babies, they'll get more used to the other species. Don't get another dog and expect it to get a long with the cats and don't expect the cats to get along with it. Cats can be finicky and introducing a dog could be really stressful for them.

·
canis lupus familiaris
552 Posts
I'd worry more about how the cats will do with a dog than anything else. Some cats are just...well dog haters lol.

But I agree dogs and cats can handle themselves as long as they are given toys and not alone 100% of the time.

·
Registered
16 Posts
As far as you not being home, I don't think that's an issue. IMO dogs and cats can handle themselves as long as they're not alone ALL the time.

As far as the cats, I would definitely look into a dog that is a puppy. It seems like if you raise at least one of the animals from when they're babies, they'll get more used to the other species. Don't get another dog and expect it to get a long with the cats and don't expect the cats to get along with it. Cats can be finicky and introducing a dog could be really stressful for them.
I agree with you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have one Maltese and One German Shepherd.German Shepherd is basically for security purpose and Maltese for inside the house.Maltese is best breed dog because very gentle in behavior.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I don't want to be a wet blanket, but getting a dog is a huge commitment since they can live for 15 years....that means 15 years of care and many vet visits and expenses. Also, maybe 4 cats in the mobile with 4 people is going to be enough to handle and clean up after ;-)
Take your time with this decision, you can always wait and see how it goes over the next few months.

·
Registered
13 Posts
For space I suggest getting a small dog and agree with everyone else that the dog doesn't need a partner as long as they aren't alone all the time. I'm involved with rescue and we get dogs who are cat friendly or at least won't bother the cat but usually the cats are not as receptive =)

Getting a puppy like pinke1205 said might be a good option, the cats won't feel as threatened and the puppy will be able to get used to the cats! Good luck .. looking forward to your decision!

·
Registered
10 Posts
More than 126,176 dogs were picked up by local authorities over the last 12 months. This represents an increase of 4% on the previous year which equates to 345 stray dogs being found every day. These figures do not include the many dogs that are taken direct to animal sanctuaries.

·
Registered
10 Posts
More than 126,176 dogs were picked up by local authorities over the last 12 months. This represents an increase of 4% on the previous year which equates to 345 stray dogs being found every day. These figures do not include the many dogs that are taken direct to animal sanctuaries.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have 2 cats and just added a golden retriever to the mix a year and a half ago. We live in a 2 bedroom condo. At first he was chasing them all over and they avoided him by searching out higher places and hiding spots he couldn't get to, but now they are all great friends and the cats even rub up against him and he gives them little kisses on the head. It's the cutest thing!

It just takes a bit of time, patience and lots of love!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts