Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok this might sound like an odd one but does degu pee dry white? Is this normal?

The reason I ask is because I've cleaned my cage out a couple times now and I find normally in the corners of the cage and on top of the nest box a white residue that I think is dried pee.

I'm just double-checking as I'm new to degus having always had rats before, and their pee never left any sort of residue that I ever noticed. I'm not feeding them anything other than the pet store degu nuggets they were fed on in the pet shop and the occasional bit of lettuce and carrot.

I think I might be worrying over nothing but after having one of them deglove its tail in the first week of owning them I'm a little paranoid!

Aside from my paranoia the degus are doing wonderfully!

Thanks!

~Robyn

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To me that sounds like calcium deposit.
:S Is this bad? Sorry for sounding like a bit of an idiot! I've not really changed anything since they came from the pet store other than the occasional treat as mentioned so if it is calcium deposit do you think they were probably the same in the store?

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
What is the brand of food? Calcium content could be too high - and they may be trying to dispose of it. You don't sound like an idiot, :) Same thing was happening to my rabbit - after her pee dried(she's been peeing outside her litter box - hello, sexual maturity!), I kept seeing white deposits, since I've begun switching her back to what I had her on originally, I haven't seen the white deposits. So yeah, the brand of food you're feeding your degus might have a calcium content that's a little too high.

Oops - sorry. Tired. Missed the first question. It can be, yeah. Especially if the calcium deposits are consistent. I've read various websites on exactly what Degus should be being fed. One site I've found says a 50/50 mixture of guinea pig pellets, and chinchilla pellets, and another website I've found says a mixture of some guinea pig pellets along with a seed mix for supplement.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What is the brand of food? Calcium content could be too high - and they may be trying to dispose of it. You don't sound like an idiot, :) Same thing was happening to my rabbit - after her pee dried(she's been peeing outside her litter box - hello, sexual maturity!), I kept seeing white deposits, since I've begun switching her back to what I had her on originally, I haven't seen the white deposits. So yeah, the brand of food you're feeding your degus might have a calcium content that's a little too high.

Oops - sorry. Tired. Missed the first question. It can be, yeah. Especially if the calcium deposits are consistent. I've read various websites on exactly what Degus should be being fed. One site I've found says a 50/50 mixture of guinea pig pellets, and chinchilla pellets, and another website I've found says a mixture of some guinea pig pellets along with a seed mix for supplement.
I'm feeding my girls Degu Nuggets from Pets at Home which is what they were being fed on in the shop when I bought them (I'd give you a link to the site as it lists what's in the food but my account is too young it wont let me post links >_< - the website is www . petsathome . com and there's a drop down menu at the top which lists degus).

I feel like hiding now for admitting I bought my Degus from Pets at Home considering I've seen a few boards on here saying just how crappy that store is X_X!

One thing that I should mention is that I went in the store a couple weeks before I bought my girls, at that time I couldn't see degu nuggets on the shelf at all, and next to the guinea pig nuggets was a sign saying something along the lines of 'Degu Friendly' which makes me wonder if the store had only just started stocking the actual degu pellets and had recently switched the diet of my degus before I bought them.

The store was kinda poop though - they told me I had two boys when they're actually girls... Lets hope the woman who sold me them wasn't in charge of sexing them so that they were segregated in the store otherwise it wouldn't surprise me if I had babies on the way!

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Don't. You know, pet owners make mistakes. Buy the wrong socially-accepted food - do the wrong socially-accepted thing.... What makes that pet owner a good pet owner, is the ones that see their mistake. The ones that admit they can always do better because their pets deserve it. The ones who WORRY they're not doing the best. Those are the good pet owners. As long as you keep striving to give your degus the best, there's no need to feel like hiding yourself away.

Now then... I've been to that website. I'm a little confused with how the ingredients are set up in the U.K, because over here in the U.S we use different words sometimes. Like... through my research of U.K pet foods, and U.S pet foods, one thing I've noticed is that most pet food companies in the U.K will actually record the exact percentage of ingredients that they use right there in the ingredient label. Pet food companies don't do that over here in the U.S.

That's normal for pet stores, unfortunately... most people here also like pet supply-only stores, not pet stores that sell live animals because more often than not, those live animals are given only the minimal amount of care and attention.

That's happened to me before. When I lived in OH, one of the friends I was living with got a hamster, and so did I. The employee marked both Female. Well, since we only have one cage available at that time, we stuck them both in there until we could go out and get another cage the next day. My hamster kept stealing my friend's hamsters food, xD And then he pinned him to the ground until he squeaked. Mine was totally boss. But... when they were tamed, I picked them up individually and sexed them - they weren't both female...they were both male.

So it happens. :/

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you so much you've made me feel a lot better about my care skills for these girls!

I'm going to keep an eye on them - I actually saw Stumpy (my tail-less degu!) go to the toilet earlier and the pee looks normal so fingers crossed it was just a one-off.

I might try getting some of the expensive food from another pet store where I live - I always used to buy my rats the food from there as it was better quality than the stuff from the store I bought my pets from. This other store does a premium degu mix so I'll look into getting some if it looks suitable.

As a side note, do you find your degus go absolutely mental the moment they come out of their cage? I have to put one of my girls in a ball on the floor while I play with the other one as I just can't handle both of them! They jump around and zoom up and down the back of my sofa like excited kids!

They really like the ball too - Tails will actually chase our dog in it he's not too impressed lol. I alternate them - they normally get half hour in the ball each and then spend half hour running from the cage onto the sofa and back.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I also use Pets at home nuggets with the same effects but as researched on degutopia i found that they are supposed to be a good feed for them.. if anyone has any answers for this then please let me know!

Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts