Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This question is more for breeders, or if anyone just wants to add their 2 cents worth.

I've been breeding for a short time compared to other Rattery's, I've just finished my 2 year Mentorship with a more established rattery. But I was curious to find out, how many people have lost rat pups shortly after birth, and that were still born? In the 3 years that I've been breeding I haven't yet lost a rat pup. So I was just curious to see how often this happens?

I've had a total of 10 litters in 3 years!

·
Registered
641 Posts
I don't breed rats but I am close friends with a woman who does and she rarely ever looses pups I think maybe 5 in the 15 years shes been breeding.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TY, I didn't think it was that common. Was just curious!

·
Official Loofah Tester
1,365 Posts
I'm not a breeder, but based on what I've read all over, I'd have to say reputable breeders tend not to lose that many. It's mostly irresponsible breeding that has the problems. I guess if you (generic you) breed your females young and often, and breed without considering genetic issues....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bred too often.

Sometime mother rats are bred too often. I used to breed them and found a good rotation is all important. Also adding a good diet is very important.

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
I would say the health of your animals is the beginning, knowing they are pregnant and feeding the pregnancy with proper foods, mom getting exercise, being relaxed and happy really really help :)

If its a big litter, sometimes a wee runt will die within 48 hours (usually 24 hours), but that happens to everyone. If your litters are smaller, less resources to share IN mom and outside of her LOL

I don't usually lose pups even in my rescue litters as well. One from my 3rd rescue litter (very small and not "right"), and recently 4 to a young rescue mom who abandoned her pups. The other 4 were accepted by a foster mom and are now growing fine after their horrible start. These were different circumstances though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts