Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Official Loofah Tester
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is the second time this has happened. I start considering when I'd like to get new rats, and some drop into my lap.

I was contacting my breeder with an update on my four boys...she's becoming more of a friend as the years go by. I was letting her know with the aging kids, I was going to be ready to adopt around February or so. At that time, our big once in a lifetime Disney trip and other assorted fund sucking things would be over, and with my only intact boy near 3 years old if he were still with us, I thought I'd see about adding some girls to my neuter brigade (the other 3 boys).

So, she informs me that she has had a glut of surrenders all at once of her past litters and would like to place some of them with trusted homes.

I've still got to discuss this with my long suffering husband, but assuming he's okay with it, I'm about to adopt four gorgeous girls. The pictures I'm sharing are their baby pictures. They are all either adult or close to full size now.

Girl One:
Satin Burmese
20 months
This is Zmei's litter mate! :D

Girl Two:
Satin Black Eyed Russian Blue Point Siamese
This is also Zmei's sister! :D She looks like a danty mini-Zmei.

Girl Three:
Russian Blue Dumbo
12 months

Girl Four:
Black Irish
3 Month Old special needs girl with head tilt

My first girls! :) It's like a pretty package of rainbow lollipops.

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
The first sister looks totally like Zmei!! and OMG you are getting a burmese *jealous*

They are all lovely girls but then my eye travels to teh bottom and finds "special needs girl"...yep the black irish is the one I will follow and fall in love with :D Is she just a tilty or do they think she has an active infection?

·
Official Loofah Tester
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm in love with the special needs girl already. Usually these black babies have kind of a smutty almost grey look to them. I'm amazed at how shiny and dark she is in her baby coat.

Lilspaz, have quite a learning curve to figure out how to care properly for a tilty girl, I have no idea what it takes and what to expect. But I'm learnable. What her breeder has told me, is that she was adopted healthy, and was surrendered because she developed the head tilt. She's put little bit on ABs and prednizone (sp) and says it is now stable, but she'll send the medications with me. I have no idea if that means she's okay from now on other than her perpetual tilt, or if I'll need to finish out the meds for her, or she'll have perpetual flare ups like with Myco and the meds are for if she gets sick again.

She's the only one who I don't know her original name, so I have gravitated to her, the wee thing and am already considering names for her. Up until now my rats have all been Alabama Ghost Boys with my creepy, macabre, folklore naming theme. Now I'll have Alabama Ghost Girls!

In keeping with my creepy macabre naming theme for my rats, I'm considering naming her Black Aggie after a famous graveyard figure in Maryland.

The other girls, I'm at the moment looking around for female hauntings. I have literally found three "Lady" hauntings the same colors as my other three girls. The Brown Lady (English hall ghost), The Gray Lady (library ghost), and The White Lady (Numerous. The White Lady is a harbinger of death). While the stories are interesting though, the names aren't so much. Not like Black Aggie.

This cracks me up though. I looked to see which Library I remembered being haunted by the Gray Lady thinking I could use the name of the Library....It's WILLARD library. Doh!

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Oh, Storyseeker, I am so excited for you!!! They are all gorgeous, and yes, that first girl looks just like Zmei. :D Little one at the end will need some special love, which you will be able to give perfectly. Can't wait to hear more about them!!

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
GAHHHH!! Can I just fall out of my chair and break into sobs of cute overload and ratty joy right now? Are those just the sweetest little girls ever?? It would be an absolute impossibility for you not to take ZMEI's kin, wow. I can't believe the stars and planets aligned for this to happen. You get Zmei's sisters?? Holy tamale!! What coolness is this?

Yes, the first one is just the spittin' image of Zmei, what a doll...and as for the other three, OMG they are just absolutely adorable and so kissable! A Russian Blue dumbo??? THUD. The spitting image of my sweet Klausse when he was a baby. Exactly like him....reincarnated in a little girl. :approve:

They are such dolls and of course I fell in love with your black satin little head tilt girl. My what a precious thing!

So she developed a head tilt and thus her adopted humans decided to give her back? Grrrrrrrr....I hope they never have a human baby with special needs. "Excuse me, nurse? My baby I just gave birth to has some special needs...take her back and can you give me a new baby that has no problems? I would like to exchange this." :doh: Where is an Uzi when I need it?

I am in LOVE with your girls, and I am soooo happy and thrilled for you, Story...cannot wait to see them in some updated photos as big uns. They are just drool worthy and you are right, they are just a rainbow of lollipop candy store flavors, eh? Beautiful!! We will of course all have your head tilt girl as our super special adopted sweetie, into the forum family. Hooooray!! Can you tell I am very excited for you??? :rolleyes:

·
Official Loofah Tester
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The husband said yes! :D

Now to arrange pick up date.

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
Continue her medications until she's done and that should hopefully take care of that. Normally once you get an inner ear infection under control its done, no flareups like myco. her tilt may improve with the treatment but it may not...she may just be a tilty for the rest of her life which means she can be a very happy and healthy rat for a long life. :D

Btw I love the name Black Aggie for her :D:D

·
Official Loofah Tester
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Lilspaz. I swear, haha! More and more, when questions are had about proper care in the ratty universe, it's not WWJD, it's WWLSD. No pressure or anything. :D

I'm doing additional reading on Head Tilt too, but your advice helps fill in the blanks. I'm glad it's not looking to be chronic issue, even if she's gonna have to possibly learn how to walk in a straight line. Haha.

I'm thinking Black Aggie may end up sticking. It goes well with Black Pete. Let me meet her to see for sure.

I can't warm up to the rainbow ghost lady names. They're just bleh. They give male boogums cooler names by far. Eternal Silence? That's just shiver inducing. What, are we chicks just gender tagged skittles? Red Lady, Blue Lady, White Lady....pffft. Then there's Bloody Mary, Resurrection Mary, Typhoid Mary....et al. Black Aggie at least gets a little more interesting with the name.

I did find Chloe, the ghost of the Myrtle's Plantation.

Here's some more boogum/ghost/monster/dragon/horror/folklore/literature names I've culled from research:

"Dragon" names (Zmei is a dragon name):
Faffy-Dave Barbarian's pet dragon (I'm having Big Bang Theory Flashbacks of "Zazzy" the Cat)
ShenLung - Good Luck Dragon. Chinese New Year Dragon ( love the sentiment, especially for Tilty girl, but the name doesn't seem to fit her in the picture. I'll have to meet her and see.)
Smrgol (this one makes me giggle. It suits my sense of humor)-From Flight of Dragons
Custard- From the The Tale of Custard the Dragon (Wufs this poem)
Nessie- Scottish. Duh.

Assorted:
Bathory (Elizebeth Bathory the Blood Countess )
Deargdue (Irish Vampire--My black irish tilty girl)
Mrs. Lovett (Sweeny Todd.)
Rusalki (Russian water/tree dragon monsters)
MamiWata (Scary Caribbean fertility goddess. I can see this becoming Mommywaddle very quickly.)
Kelpie (water fae)
Banshee
Karni (Karni Mata-rat diety)

[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Yay, you are getting the girls! Super duper!

WWLSD! Ha ha, yes! :crylaugh:

See? Ratty Buddha was a good and proper term for our gal Lilspaz, ehhh?

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
BTW, I love your name list Story...good ones! I think Aggie sounds wonderful, but yes, I guess you need to meet this girl in person and see what fits her. Man, the names Nessie and Custard had such a nice ring to them. You will know what fits your girls from your list after you get a sense of their individual personalities of course. This will be most fun. :)

(My own interest in films as a rabid movie buff of course made me think of Addie, when you mentioned Aggie. If one of your girls ends up being a little clever con artist/rapscallion, you can name her Addie, after Tatum O'Neal's character in Paper Moon. Ha! So, if you have no idea what I am talking about, never mind this post and scratch everything I said. Hee.

·
Official Loofah Tester
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Aprilleigh, I was absolutely going through the Harry Potter lexicon for names. I'm such a nerd though, I felt like everyone would have named their rats after Harry Potter. :D

Vlad: Aw I remember that movie! It's been YEARS. I remember Imajean and Madeline Khan (love).

I can see me picking characters from old quirky movies! One of my favorite movies to this day is Auntie Mame with Rosalind Russell. "PAAAAAAA-trick, my li-ttle looooove." :D

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Ha ha, awesome!! You remember Paper Moon! "Imajean, get my bags." "Yes, Miss Trixie..."

Okay so there is a film called Auntie Mame that you love and I have not ever seen it. I am so bad! I will put this on my Netflix queue. I need to see more movies from the olden golden days, I am just the worst. Looking this up right now. Must see.

·
Official Loofah Tester
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's the movie that has the quote something like: "Life's a banquet and some poor suckers are starving to death."

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Yeah, I just read that quote on Netflix! Rosalind Russell, Auntie Mame, nice! I put it on my queue to watch. :thumbsup:

·
Official Loofah Tester
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Getting excited again. That state of impatient restlessness. Plans mostly firmed up to pick up the girls tomorrow, but waiting the final confirmation from the breeder that she was able to change her work schedule for sure.

I've spent the afternoon pulling out all of my extra cages, hosing them down, and setting them up.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Yay!!!! So excited for you!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Me too!! I just got butterflies thinking about your girls coming. Wowee....keep us updated!! :wave:

1 - 20 of 52 Posts