Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got a couple of female rats a couple of weeks ago and apparently they're both pregnant. Lacey is showing a lot more than Bella, but they're both definitely pregnant, there's little doubt about that. They should have them by the 27th if they are. I'm worried because a horrible virus hit my colony right after I got Lacey and Bella (guessing maybe they brought it in) and they've been on antibiotics while pregnant because I didn't know until about 3 days ago. They've been on Doxy and when that didn't work TMS and when that didn't work Baytril. Bella is still recovering from pneumonia, so I can't stop her antibiotics, but I stopped Lacey's. I'm so worried :(:(

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
So I got a couple of female rats a couple of weeks ago and apparently they're both pregnant. Lacey is showing a lot more than Bella, but they're both definitely pregnant, there's little doubt about that. They should have them by the 27th if they are. I'm worried because a horrible virus hit my colony right after I got Lacey and Bella (guessing maybe they brought it in) and they've been on antibiotics while pregnant because I didn't know until about 3 days ago. They've been on Doxy and when that didn't work TMS and when that didn't work Baytril. Bella is still recovering from pneumonia, so I can't stop her antibiotics, but I stopped Lacey's. I'm so worried :(:(
So you got 2 girls, TWO weeks ago right? So these 2 girls were probably the ones who brought it in? And they were very sick? Can you weigh them daily? This will give you an idea of how far along they are, whether the pregnancies are progressing normally, or there are issues.

I took in a sick girl, and medicated her. Discovered she was pregnant, but she ended up only giving birth to 2 babies, 1 stilborn, the other didn't even live 24 hours. Sick rats often will reabsorb but unless you weigh them and record the weights once a day, you won't know what's going on.

I assume you brought in Sendai right? Have you be taking ALL the precautions to prevent it spreading to other rats besides your own? Its incredibly contagious and you can touch something at a petstore, another owner picks it up, and lets it be near his rats in the 3 hours that the virus can live off-host and those rats are now infected, etc.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts