Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Obsessed With Turtles
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As most of you know... when the MIL left I "inherited" her cats.
She was feeding "Kitten Kaboodle" which for some people may be okay. But I was noticing that Charlie's coat was starting to get really dry & brittle and I decided a lot of it very well could be his diet. Therefore I started looking at the ingredients and EWW!! so I switched foods... I am now feeding "Sensible Choice" which is 100% natural! no bi-products or corn ingredients!

I was wondering if you guys would check it out & tell me what you think: http://www.sensiblechoice.com/SCHCCRA.HTM.

This food to my knowledge is available world wide as well not just in the US... the companies web address is: www.royalcanin.com. (add .us instead of .com for the US address.)

I personally have found this food is making a HUGE differemce & he LOVES it! :D (now I am wondering if I can feed this to my ferrets as well!)

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Kay! :rofl: When I got the email notification of the New Post/Thread in my email it said:
fstybrat has just posted in the Cats forum of Paw-Talk Pet Forum under the title of ok Cat foot experts....
:scratch: I giggled - because we all know I am warped ... :lol:

Royal Canin has a really good reputation as far as I know.
The difference that a good high quality diet makes is amazing though, isn't it? Wow, I'm so glad to hear that Charlie is doing so well on it.
It's a good satisfying feeling when we see our pets overall health change for the better!
:thumbsup:

P.S. I'm glad his cat foot is ok :hide:

·
Registered
19 Posts
*laughs with Deja*

While we're on the subject of cat food, 2 of my 3 cats have vomited on their current diet. We were feeding Friskies Chef's Blend dry food with occasional wet food, but we suspect the Chef's Blend because what comes up is partially digested dry food bits. (And it's a pain to clean it off our shag carpeting. Eww.) I'm definitely gonna give something else a try, perhaps that "Sensible Choice" stuff which sounds so good. Which brand does everyone else use?

·
Registered
303 Posts
I am just switching Max from Innova to Felidae.

If your cats are having problems with digestion, I would suggest a food without corn, ambiguous ingredients (ie. meat and bone meal), or by-products. Another thing to look out for is preservatives. BHA, BHT or ethoxyquin can be dangerous. :(

If you are looking for a mid-range food, Nutro is a good choice. My cats were on the Complete Care line. It has poultry fat (instead of specifying the poultry, ie. chicken fat) and corn but is free of by-products and "unnatural" preservatives. Among the other foods in its price range, I feel it is the best. Science Diet still uses by-products and/or animal fat. Iams also uses by-products and a ton of corn. Not to mention, they are a Proctor and Gamble company...a company that continues to do animal testing. :( If price is not a concern, I would go with Innova, Wellness, Wysong, etc. My personal favorite is Felidae. There are a lot of high quality cat foods out there...this is just the tip of the iceberg (and the most readily available). :)

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
There is a new food line out called Evolve, I just saw it in a store the other day. They have both Dog and Cat but I don't know much about it yet. Also, this is going to sound funny but Paul Newman has a new pet food in his organics line, Newman's Own Organics Pet Food http://www.newmansownorganics.com/pet/home/index.php There seems to be an increasing amount of super premium foods out there which is nice because I was only ever able to get Wellness or Innova and I do not like Innova at all (I should say my cat didn't like it at all!)

·
Miss New Booty
5,875 Posts
Ohhh awesome Kay! Glad he is loving that food! Cats can be kindof picky, right guys?! :lol: That sounds like a great food. I haven't heard of that food before, thanks Kay!

I started with Solid Gold and Cal. Natural at first, they wouldn't touch it!! Tried Innova, but I think Ginger was allergic to something in that food, it didn't agree with her well.
They liked Natural Balance alot, too.
http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/products/catfood.html

They are now eating the Wellness chicken flavor.They love it!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Sunny and Loverboy will not eat anything but Meow Mix. I tried to get them to eat Scieince diet, and all of the different brands. They just walk off and leave it in their bowls.:rolleyes:

:cat:

·
Registered
615 Posts
The golden child :wink2: (Wellington) gets regular adult Eukanuba and Royal Canin. Both are dry food and I mix them together.

The other 2 tubba-rubbas (L'il & Lozie) get Eukanuba & Royal Canin the weight control versions. I also mix both together. They were on Science Diet light hairball control for a while but Lozie started getting dry skin & dandruff so I switched them to Eukanuba which I heard is really good.

(Ahhhh.. it's good to be back online.)

·
Registered
303 Posts
Dena, Evolve looks like a great food. :) It has human-grade ingredients and is comparable to other "premium" foods (in quotations because the AAFCO has not defined premium). Here are the ingredients to the Maintenance Dry Cat food. :)

Chicken, Chicken Meal, Brown Rice, Brewers Rice, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols, citric acid, and rosemary extract), Tomato, Rice Bran, Menhaden Herring Meal, Egg Product, Dried Milk Powder, Flaxseed Meal, Peas, Yogurt, Brewers Yeast, Dried Kelp, Garlic, Farmers Cheese, Avocado Oil, Spinach, Beets, Parsley, Yucca Schidegera Extract, Cranberries, Blueberries, Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Bifidobacterium Thermophilium Fermentation Product, Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Saccharomyces Cerevisiae Fermentation Solubles, Taurine, Choline Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Zinc Proteinate, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Oxide, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Iron Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Calcium Pantothenate, Magnesium Oxide, Niacin, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin A Acetate, Folic Acid, Cobalt Proteinate, Copper Sulfate, Cobalt Carbonate, Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B2), Copper Proteinate, Thiamin Mononitrate, D-activated Animal Sterol (a source of Vitamin D3), Calcium Iodate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Menedione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (a source of Vitamin K activity)
http://www.evolvepet.com

1 - 14 of 14 Posts