Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
So im kind of in a dilemma whether I should be going to the vet or if my hamster is just getting old.
Haylee is at least 1 ½ years old (that’s about how long i’ve had her). She is probably older being she was full grown when I bought her.
About 2 weeks ago I noticed she started becoming slightly less active and was breathing faster than normal. I decided to wait and monitor her.
10 days ago I noticed she was cleaning herself a lot in her genitals. I picked her up and looked at the area and noticed it was slightly wet from her anus to her tail. (Picture from today attached) Since then it has stayed wet (only a little bit) and she sleeps a LOT more (usually wakes up at 12 and takes numerous naps during the night and is asleep by 4ish-sometimes 6)
She has also had her eye gunky when she first wakes up (this can be a sign of an old hamster ive read?) and she shakes sometimes.
Haylee has ALWAYS loved her ball and will beg every time she sees me to get out. But this entire week she hasn’t wanted in her ball except tonight. Once she was in her ball she didn’t run so I let her run on the floor, which she did for about 5min until she went into the corner and tried to sleep.
Im just wondering if these are signs of an old hamster or if I should take her to the vet?
Being the vet that normally sees Haylee works on weekend nights it’s hard to see him. But if needed I will!

Attachments

·
Registered
771 Posts
I had a hamster start breathing quickly on and off in her old age. I would probably take her to the vet anyhow because the wetness around her genitals isn't normal from my experience.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Combination of the two. If she is a Syrian, it could be wet tail, which has to be trated with antibiotics, as it is relatively serious. If a dwarf, who do not get wet tail, I would check with a vet...

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
do they get it when they are older? i heard it was in young hamsters that get wet tail?
my vet isnt in till monday, but her breathing is worrying me. there arent any vets open after i get off work except pet er, who is HORRIBLE with rodents. :(
hopefully she will be okay till monday night.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also she doesnt have diarrhea... she is still drinking her normal amount of water(a lot!) Ill watch her tonight more closely and check to make sure shes eating all her food.

·
Will It Ever Change?
7,346 Posts
maybe clean the cage then watch the poos, wet tail gives diahrrea and its not pretty. then a vet trip is in order

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update on Haylee.
I just got back from the vet and I had to put her to sleep. When I got there she had started discharging bloody puss from her bottom. The vet said she had a infection in her uterus. The vet recommended that she be put to sleep, although there were other options, they either would have caused more pain/healing or they might not have worked. I could have given her antibiotics (50% chance of getting better, and with the fact that antibiotics are bad for digestive system I decided not.),
or had her spayed which would have fixed the problem forever. But being she was old and i didnt want her to suffer and go through surgery, the vet and I decided the best thing was to put her out of pain sooner than later. :(
So my little haylers is gone.

·
Will It Ever Change?
7,346 Posts
awww im so sorry. trust that you did what's best for her. she's in ham heaven now *hugs*

1 - 8 of 8 Posts