Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Oliver's first appt.

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Purple-Hops 
#1 ·
We have an appointment for Saturday morning with a good vet who knows her stuff. Unfortunately she also has a way of pushing useless tests and treatments on unsuspecting clients. This is where I need your help,

Vaccinations are not safe for cats, I know that.. But WHY?? I don't want her pushing a vaccine on me that I don't want and Ollie doesn't need. But I don't know much about vaccines and which ones to avoid. He's an indoor kit now so there's no point in vaccines now.

Also, I want him looked at and tested for fIv (bc of his third eyelids and weight) but what is involved in that test? I know leukemia is non-curable but what will she do to test for it?

And finally, I'm having her look at him for worms. How does she test for that? I know the vet doesn't have holistic de-wormers (I asked) but I don't want to give Oliver harmful chemical pesticides. I would rather choose a healthier alternative but I'm afraid she'll freak out about me ordering diamotaceous earth online bc that's less sale for them. I want to be respectful but I'm SO new to having my own cat and I have never brought a cat to the vet before.

What do you guys think?

See less See more
#2 ·
We have an appointment for Saturday morning with a good vet who knows her stuff. Unfortunately she also has a way of pushing useless tests and treatments on unsuspecting clients. This is where I need your help,

Vaccinations are not safe for cats, I know that.. But WHY?? I don't want her pushing a vaccine on me that I don't want and Ollie doesn't need. But I don't know much about vaccines and which ones to avoid. He's an indoor kit now so there's no point in vaccines now.

Also, I want him looked at and tested for fIv (bc of his third eyelids and weight) but what is involved in that test? I know leukemia is non-curable but what will she do to test for it?

And finally, I'm having her look at him for worms. How does she test for that? I know the vet doesn't have holistic de-wormers (I asked) but I don't want to give Oliver harmful chemical pesticides. I would rather choose a healthier alternative but I'm afraid she'll freak out about me ordering diamotaceous earth online bc that's less sale for them. I want to be respectful but I'm SO new to having my own cat and I have never brought a cat to the vet before.

What do you guys think?
when we got moe tested ect, for the fiv they did a urine and blood test for him, he doesnt have vaccines either as he is an indoor cat as well, so im not sure, about vaccines, but for the testing they will probably do blood and urine test for the fiv.

#3 ·
blood test.. So like up to 100$ extra for that?? I'm just really worried about money atm. I wasn't going to take him until after I got my student loan in January but I felt he should go asap. Fortunately I have like 200$ on my credit but that won't last me long :/

#4 ·
bumpity bump :D

Can someone tell me how to obtain a stool sample? I'm calling the vet tomorrow to tell them i'm bringing poop so I can get everything done in one trip.. But I cannot find anything on the internet about litter being attached?? He uses Yesterday's News paper litter so it's kind of easy to get in at.. o_O If you know what I mean.

#5 ·
Litter attached should be fine, they will just break it and take it from the middle where there isn't litter. The blood test should be a snap test and expect around $18 for FIV and Feluk

Just get a fresh stool sample, when you see him go pick it up with a baggy and put it in the fridge if you get it the night before. Don't freeze.

I am not anti-vaccines so i would get the distemper at the very least. Even inside cats can get viruses. If he does come back FIV positive it isn't a HUGE deal. Just make sure he is always inside, so he can't transfer it, some cats will have shorter lives with FIV but some don't show any signs and live a full lifespan.

#6 ·
Thanks for your help :) The vet called today to confirm the appt (at 8am -_- ) so I asked her about the stool sample since I hadn't heard back on the forums yet. She said I don't need one because they'll give me some stuff after his full exam.
I'm a little nervous. Every time I make a vet appt for anyone (even if they're not really sick, just check-up) all I can think about is it!! Grrr, I hate it!

#9 · (Edited)
An hour and a half at the vet -_- But Oliver was very patient :) Wasn't bothered by all the dogs or anything. He did pee on them when they expressed his anal glands though!! :D
He is feline leukemia and FIV NEGATIVE!!! :D Everything else is fine so we are de-worming him with some pills we give once every 3 weeks for 3 times.. I don't know the name of them off hand, begins with an M.
Anyway- that's our update ^.^
The blood on the back of the toilet is prob his anal glands (I had no idea he was doing that to mark his turf- so they eliminated the glands for him.. Apparantly they were full)

**Milbemax. I just got up and checked.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.