Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in total shock and don't even know how to say this...I am in utter shock! I can't believe what I am about to type!!!

Sugar Bear is DEAD.But his face is GONE...bloody and no face!
I just found him.I was going to take the rats out for play time...and that is what I found.This is only recent...like maybe a few hours or so,because this morning Sugar and Kahlua were both perfectly fine! They had two filled dishes of food,so I don't know why Kahlua would do that.They did have their squabbles,but it was never this bad.I can't believe this! WHHHYYY??????????

I am sooo upset and shaking.Now Kahlua is on his own and I definatly don't wanna introduce him to Dox now.I don't know if something set him off or what.I just took him out and he is perfectly fine with me...so I dunno...all I can say is I am so hurt,horrifed and don't know what to say!

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
OMG!!!! Are you ok?!?!?! I know you must be so upset and horrified. I can't even imagine! That's so outrageous!

Do you think Kahlua killed him? Or that he died and then Kahlua messed with him? I'm just totally speechless, I would never ever put another rat with him again if he killed him! *hugs* Just, WOW. PM me if you need anything. I can't begin to think how you must be feeling. :(

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
hugs! i'm so sorry, that is very painful to find. LOVES :heart: i'm here for ya!

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am horrofied,shocked,upset...I dunno.I don't know if Sugar Bear died and Kahlua messed with him or if Kahlua did kill him.Kahlua never showed any actual aggression towards him.They did squabble alot,but there was never blood and it didn't seem too serious.Otherwise I would of seperated them.

Sugar was not even 1 yr old tho,so I don't know why he would die...I mean he was really healthy! There was nothing wrong that I could see and they were both fine this morning.To find him dead with NO face (I could see part of his skull) was shocking and horrifying.

I have Kahlua in his own cage,by himself.I took him out for like 10 minutes and had to put him back.He's friendly with me,but I am sooo upset right now,I couldn't play with him.I feel bad,but tommorrow I will make it up to him.I am just in shock.I don't think I should put him with another rat,but I would to hate him having to live alone...maybe he just didn't like Sugar? I dunno...I can't explain it.

I am also dealing with a few other things at the moment,so this didn't need to happen and I wish it didn't.I might take sometime away from the internet,or at least forums...cause I am extremely stressed.

R.I.P Sugar Bear.

:(

·
Registered
745 Posts
OMG I'm so sorry, R.I.P. Sugar Bear. It must have been a horrible experience to go through. And if you also have other things worrying you then your stress levels must be sky high atm.

I really sorry for your loss.

·
Zippy Chickenshorts
1,762 Posts
OMG, I am sooo sorry Lisa, thats sounds so awful :(
Maybe you could check Kahlua for bite marks to see if they were in a fight, but I don't see how Kahlua would have killed him if they wern't in a fight.
I feel really bad for you, I hope you are okay, things like that will scar your heart :(
RIP; Sugar bear
Loads of love and hugs Lisa xxxxxxx

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'm sorry to hear what you had to find, how distressing that must have been. All I can think is that perhaps Sugar Bear had an unnoticeable heart defect or something like that and passed away of his own accord and Kahlua was being a bit curious as to why his buddy wasn't moving and went a bit far? It's very sad though, RIP Sugar Bear.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear this. :(

I've read that rats show cannibalistic behavior, this is cause the smell of a dead rat can attract predators to the den, and the rats living there do not want that, so they eat the dead rats to prevent this from happening. I haven't experienced it with rats, as I've had just 3 and never had 2 together, but I've seen it in mice. Not all the time, but yeah, I've come home to find half of a dead mouse missing.

You know it wasn't a fight and kill cause you will not see any other marks or bites other than the part that's missing. Again, I haven't experienced a rat fight, I knew there had been a fight cause of bites in the face, rump and genitals.

·
Dinky Gerbilelbow
2,425 Posts
OMG how terrible.......Huge hugs for you hunny......I cant think why kahlua would have eaten Sugar bear but i would imagine he has done it after Sugar had died because surely there would have been a LOT of commotion if it was a fight so serious one died???? He could have been ill and hiding it just like my Tessie did? She was totally healthy on Thursday morning or so i thought and by Thursday night she was practically dead only breathing! They can go downhill so quickly without us even noticing. I am so sorry to hear about Sugar Bear and your other problems hunny.........huge hugs for you.
RIP Sugar Bear xxxxx

·
Fashion Animal Freak :)
1,307 Posts
OH lisa hun i am so sorry babe!
I just wish i could come over and give you a big hug :(

And im not changing the subject but babes thats why i dont want to put novo in with the babies because his behaviour is weird now, hes very protective over his food aswell!

But lisa i feel so sorry for you, :(
Sometimes we just dont notice what happens and maybe sugabear had an illness and died overnight and your other boy was just disposing of him!! :(

Im sending you all the hugs i can babes :( !
You need me for anything pm me ok?
xxxx

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone.
In my 8+ yrs of owning rats and raising rats,I never had this happen.Thats why it shocks me.I heard of it happening...but never experianced it.

I took Kahlua out earlier and checked him over and there are NO marks on him and he is as happy and content and friendly with me as ever.Even was licking my fingers.

I honestly don't know what happened,because Sugar was perfectly fine and was a young rat...but it is possible he could of died from something.Like maybe he had an underlying problem but had no symptoms.He was a pet store rat,so I wouldn't be suprised.

I been super upset all day...and can't seem to focus on much for long.I will be fine,but it was just so scary to find and devestating.

·
Rodentologist
1,941 Posts
Yes, rats are cannibalistic with corpses, it is normal for them to eat dead cagemates, and is not a sign of aggression. If he had killed his cagemate in that fashion, blood from the arteries would be sprayed all over the cage.

It's shocking to find, but one of those "circle of life" type activities that humans sometimes forget about.

·
Will It Ever Change?
7,346 Posts
wow hun, that must have been awful to see. i'm sorry you went through this *hugs*

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah,now that I can think more clearly...I know Kahlua didn't kill Sugar.There were no other marks on Sugar Bear (aside from his face gone...which was not pretty and I cannot shake the image) and there were no marks on Kahlua.Also I was home the whole day,only out to take the dog out and I didn't hear ANY fighting.

So all I can think is Sugar had an illness,with NO symptoms...cause he appeared healthy and happy to me,with nothing wrong and then Kahlua did what was natural.

Either way...it is still shocking.Kahlua is well tho,friendly and hasn't been grieving.

R.I.P Sugar.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
:( It's so sad. I'm glad that Kahlua didn't kill Sugar Bear, but I know that it's still very upsetting. I'm so sorry you had to go through that. *hugs*

·
can't think of one, help
1,115 Posts
I'm so sorry you experienced that, and I know how those images can stay with you. Hugs, give it time and be good to yourself

·
Registered
284 Posts
Aww..Lisa :( I know how it feels to have something this traumatic happen. I bought Teddy these little dwarf hamsters from the same litter. There was a friendly one and the other was a little skittish. One morning Ted went out to play with his little sweet hamstie and his little head was missing, there was bloody prints on the cage and the other hamster has blood on his face. Ted chased him away and the little bugger came back picking at the the little dead guy :( We had Rocky and Balboa and when Balboa was gone we couldn't keep Rocky knowing what he had done. :( I'm still not sure how it happened, they were fine in the evening and the next day..well..yucky mess :( It's terrible heartbreak:(

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
It's actually a very very instinctual thing that unfortunately freaks out and disgusts humans. We call it the Honorable Burial. The rat is used to living in colonies in the wild, and they are now trapped in this small space with a suddenly dead body whose smell could attract predators to the healthy members of the colony. Just like a new mom whose babies are stillborn they will "clean up". :(

Your boy probably had a heart issue. Stroke and heart attack are the usual suspects in young, seemingly healthy rats. It's sad but its all due to bad genetics. :(

Sorry about your loss, but I wouldn't worry about your boy with other rats, just do proper intro's when the time comes and watch his body language carefully. He may not be ready to accept anyone for a little while yet, as he will probably need to grieve too.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts