Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Fashion Animal Freak :)
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok well yesterday me and my bf was going up to Pets at home for some toys and food for the hammie and rats.
So we go up to the adoption part and there is this male siamese rat he was lovley and we asked if we could see him out and when she lifted him out he made this really weird noise all the time it was like a noise coming from his lungs and i asked what that was and the girl replyed o hes just a weird rat .. and i was like ok so we looked at him and i go wut happed to half of his tail ? and she went his old owners other rat bit half of it off so that was enough for me i said to her are you sure you have made sure he doesnt have a chest or any other infection and she went im sure i brought him home and he started getting worse and worse and the next thing i put my hand near him and he was reacting to it i touched his eyes and guess what HE WAS BLINDDD !!! he couldnt even find his way around i couldnt keep him as i have other rats and i didnt want him passing anything on do i went back up to the petstore and said to the guy i cannot keep him and i said but i am not leaving him with you knowing you aint gunna do nothing and he said ok i am very sorry we didn't realise how bad he was and he said he is going to take him to the vets on monday.
i asked him did you know he was blind ?
and he replyies .. Oh maybe thats why he couldnt see us feeding him like OOH MY GOD i was crying and everything letting him go his breathing is so bad and he has been in the petstore for about 2 weeks now and they never even thought that the breathing was bad ??
i feel so cruel giving him back i spent £35 on TAXIES!! taking him back and also did you's think i made the right desicion i have no experiance with rats and i paniced :( i didnt want my rats catching anything i really can't stop thinking about him :(

·
Zippy Chickenshorts
1,762 Posts
eeek... arey you ok? at the end of the day there was nothing you could have done so cheer up hun :)

·
Will It Ever Change?
7,346 Posts
aww hun. im sorry you went thru that. if it was me i'd keep him and take him to the vet myself. i dont trust pet stores. you can always quarantine him in another room away from your other pets? either way, its a shame the poor little guy was so unhealthy

·
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i am very sorry guys for using the word G*D i just got warned :(
i never new i am very sorry it is because i am from northern ireland and we talk very different from you's i am still very sorry :(

·
Zippy Chickenshorts
1,762 Posts
oh, you got warned? I didn't know you couldent say that! Does it tell us anywhere what we can and cant say, I'd like to see so I know eeek!
I do hope you are okay though, it's never nice to see animals suffering- I think the best thing to would and kindest would be to get him put to sleep the poor lil'soul! xx

·
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No it doesnt say anywhere a mod told me people are complaining about my language i appoligised but i feel so bad now.

yeah well the guy at the petstore wen i took him back says he doesnt look good i feel bad for taking him back :( all i have done is cry he was a baby aswell :( so scared squeeked when you touched or lifted him all i done was cuddle and talked to him :( poor baby

·
Registered
125 Posts
awww..sorry you had to go through that...poor little guy..pet stores can be so irresponsible.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Hey, try not to feel bad. You know that we here would love to save them all if we could, but we just can't. :( Hopefully you made a difference by taking a stand and calling them out on the situation.

·
Will It Ever Change?
7,346 Posts
i agree with mt, i too would totally feel bad but you can't save them all. just file a complaint cause it's the best you can do

·
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah i said to the girl how could you say hes just a weird rat and making that noise you could clearly see he was suffering the worse thing was that the petshop is like 15miles from me and the taxies cost me ALOT and i got really attached to him within that hr he was so cute and so skinny ! and i knew he was blind :(how can petshops not realise stuff like this ?

·
Will It Ever Change?
7,346 Posts
unfortunatley many pet shops dont hire experienced people

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
he isn't skinny because he's blind, normally rats that are blind get around ok as long as their place isn't moved around much, they find food by smell instead of sight anyway, it probably has an RI that could possibly be fixed with antibiotics but buying a rat from a store that sells them sick and having to take it to the vet and fix it just helps the store stay the way it is...

Sorry you had to go through that

·
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks kendalle ,
Yeah i know he wasnt skinny cus he was blind i had a blind guinea pig.
He was wheezing like for air but he was moving around but he was panting aswell and when you lifted him he SQUEEEEKED it was awfull my boyfriend didn't want to give him back but i couldnt put my rats at risk and i never new how to handle it .
I just feel like i let him down :(
Thanks guys for your support

·
Registered
5 Posts
Aw seems like a stressful situation and im sorry you had to deal with that.

Pet stores honestly done care about their animals as much as they let on.
They always say to the people getting small critters that if anything happens to bring them back and they will take it to their 'back room' to get vet care.
Truth is, they bring them back there and let them die with no vet care at all.

·
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OMG i really do hope they took him to a vet because he was at the adoption bit like with his own cage and own toys thats why i wanted him i still think about what if .. but i know i maybe freaked out and didnt deal with it in the best way but i really didnt want my rats to get an infection if he did have one :(.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Even though I know you did what you thought was best and I would probably panic too in that situation, what you could have done was place him in an area away from your other rats and let him live out his life in peace and away from noisy pet store life. By the way you described the poor guy he probably would not have made it very long due to his conditions. If he isn't that pet store next time you go, odds are he has passed but at least he will be out of what seems like a lot of discomfort.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Awww poor little thing! Dont worry though hopefully the petstore took him. Good job doing that though!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts