Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
laugh often
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well as some of you know I have a retired service dog and now training my second one. I have decided to start a training program that offers the basic obedience but focuses more on assistance and behavior modification. My husband and I have completed my website. And I was wondering what you think about it.

I am going to put our location and long I have worked with dogs on the page. but I am not sure how long it will take until it shows on the actual site.:rolleyes:

anyways heres the site
www.wix.com/service4abetterlife/betterlife

please tell me your opinion on paw-talk as the websites contact page is for business only. thanks

·
Registered
374 Posts
I glanced at your page. I trying not to look back before I write my questions so you can get a feel of what people might take away from just a quick hit on your website.

I think it's pretty nice that your are offering an 8-12 week course for older dogs. If I was to call you to see if you would be a good trainer for me I would have to ask about pricing and if the puppy/obedience courses were group or individual. It seems like individual or even maybe just the dog and not the owner? What would be the week by week breakdown - I'm just curious, since the behaviors you mentioned don't seem to be enough to fill a 12 week course.

In addition to how long you have been training, I would ask if you had any of the certifications that the APDT recognizes. Basically, what qualifies you. Testimonials from clients maybe? It's also very common for trainers today to have some video tidbits of them working with dogs as well.

I guess I would also be concerned if your training for service dogs are a part of something like the Delta Society or other nationally recognized programs. I have no idea what legal issues could arise for a service dog gone wrong.

I like the website. Looks clean, modern and professional.

·
laugh often
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your input.

I was going to put how long I have been training, which has been 6 years.
I was also going to put up some videos on you tube or the like once I got the proper camera.
The training courses are one on one with the handler and dog (sometimes I bring my own for socializing and distraction).I'm glad you mentioned that this info was needed.It never crossed my mind.

Most of the service dogs I have worked with were already pre adopted and at least 1-2 years with some basic obedience and house manners. Then it takes a few weeks to a few months to train them depending on the situation. But I can work with dogs from the very start as well.
The puppy packages are one basic price, but the rest of the packages vary. That is why there is no prices listed. If I do a stunt dogs that does tricks, that would go about faster than lets say a dog with severe separation anxiety and occasional nipping. Not only that could take longer to work with but it can be more dangerous for myself or my co-trainer. the pricing happens upon meeting the dogs and figuring out how they think and react to different stimuli and the job that lies ahead. Each dog is different and will learn at different paces and whatnot. Hmm.. that might be a hard one to add into the site but I'll give it a go.:thumbsup:

I will be editing my site soon:tonguerol I'll let you guys know when the changes are made.

Thanks again for the tips!

·
laugh often
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
its going to take a bit more time to edit the web sit. I have e alot of family emergencies going on and I have been looking at other training sites to get better ideas. But I will fix it soon. didn't want ya'll thinking I gave up. :lol:

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
Mousey!! How about updates? The site looks clean and modern, as Zylca said :D Great work! I know sometimes personal things get in the way but since this thread was brought up I was wondering how things are going?

·
Registered
802 Posts
Nice and neat site, just write all your qualifications and experiences. Better if you can post most of the dogs you've trained and maybe little testimonials from them..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts