Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Options for a ten gallon

256 views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  Sasami 
#1 ·
I am just curious ... I have an empty ten gallon tank and was wondering what would be suitable to keep in it ( Please no fish anything else though) I currently have mice and do not believe in even keeping them in something that small.

#4 ·
#5 · (Edited)
Actually a ten gallon is the minimum for an african clawed frog. I already did all the research on it and it'd be upgraded to my forty gallon if my kissing gourami ever decides to die I love him so much but he's 12 years old

Also I have two cycled tanks and one has an extra piece of filter media in it i used to cycle it so my tank will be cycled in about a week i think I have a test kit I'll check it before i put anything in it

#7 ·
A full grown African clawed frog would feel pretty cramped in a 10-gallon. You could start one off in the tank but he'd need to be upgraded eventually (and it sounds like you could do that).

#6 ·
I love my ACF! I started off with him in a 10gal, but he is in a 15 gal now. He is still pretty small though.
You can keep a leopard gecko in a 10 gallon too. :)

#8 ·
Yeah that was the plan :) A few years in a ten wouldnt hurt the little one at all :) Actually spots in non aggressive so I may throw the frog in there with him what i'm worried about is just the frog eating ... Spots loves food lol

#9 ·
Yeah, frogs don't usually mix well with fish, sadly. You'd probably have to hand-feed the frog which sounds OK but it's seriously a pain. The frog is also likely to go after the fish at some point--he might not eat the gourami but he could bite the fins. Gouramis aren't the fastest fish. You could consider a tank divider, though :).

#10 ·
Eh spots is too old to have some jerk frog picking on him. I'll just give the frog the ten for now and keep it in a warm room. frogs like cool water though so no heater and my 40 stays at 80 degreesa lol

#13 ·
Yeah, there are plenty of fish that can live in a 10-gallon. It's too small to do a "community" type set-up, usually, but one species (or two small species) can work :).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.