Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 25 gallon set up with plants and hideaways it stays at 82 degree's ( a little warm I know but the heater is for the 40 gallon) I am running 50 gallons of filtration with a HOB filter. So there is a current but it keeps the tank amazingly clear :) I do 25% water changes weekly.

I have 4 emerald corydoras and have been considering ghost shrimp but I would like to know my options

I would like an inexpensive upkeep so that rules out my wanting ACF :( ( they eat a ton) and i cant have weak swimmers.

I currently have sundried shrimp, blood worms , Omega one pellets, algae wafers, so something that would eat these would be nice :) I also like active fish something interesting with funny antics.

I also considered a school of betta girls but they dont swim well and I dont have enough plants and I would like to not have to buy much more if anything since I do have a ton of supplies.

·
Resident Zoologist
262 Posts
Firstly, it should not be your heater that is causing the warmer temps...even a 500W heater should be able to just maintain any temp you set it to....I suspect a combination of ambient room temp + lights.

That being said, see if your LFS has any wood/flower shrimp or 'vampire' shrimp...easy to keep, and pretty unique/cool. combine those with perhaps a pair of pearl gourami (Trichogaster leeri), a small school of rasbora hets (Trigonostigma heteromorpha), or even a pair of dwarf rams (Microgeophagus ramirezii).

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine is not a preset heater its just turned up too high it can be used for any size tank. Its in the basement the room being too warm is not an issue.

I would like if at all possible to just have one large-ish fish in the tank.

None of our LFS sell any shrmp but ghosts and I think the ghosts are fun to watch :)

What would be one lone fish that would like the tank?

I could also consider a school Maybe if we cant find something.

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
Who told you ACF are expensive? Squishy is probably the cheapest pet I have, when it comes to maintenance. A $10 pack of blood worms lasts me a couple months, and he gets crickets and waxworms as treats. You can feed them turtle pellets too if they will eat them.

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just all the variety they need and I coudl not keep my corydoras with them.

And for a fish they are expensive I mean.

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
I wouldn't recommend ADFs for a tank with fish. They have trouble getting enough food as they're slow eaters and intimidated easily. You'd probably end up having to hand-feed (while fending off the fish swarming around your hand).

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know I have feeding tongs for that very reason :) I will feed the adf and the fish at the same time ... Distracting 4 fish is not very hard ...

But we will see It would make the tank very bottom stocked ... If I didnt get the ADF it would be a lower maintenance tank thats for sure ... i will see I am worried about them with the full height of my tank anyway.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Sounds like a good plan after all. Let us know if everything works well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts