Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off: Sorry this is really long!

Our male maltese Mayo was bought back in July 2010 from a couple that had several maltese dogs (at least 1 mom and dad and about 8 or so puppies, we were told that Mayo was 8 months old). I know Maltese can't carry that many pups, so I'm assuming they had some other adult maltese dogs too. Mayo was very timid and didn't want anything to do with us at first (as were the rest of the puppies, but the adults were very friendly). We decided to get him anyways.

About a month later we were given a female Pug we named Pixie. She's about the same age as Mayo. She is extremely friendly and well tempered.

Neither of our dogs are fixed and Mayo mates with her quite often. We often visit (about 1 or 2 times a week) with my mom and bring our dogs with us to her home. She has a male maltese named Casper that is also not fixed. He always mates with Pixie every time we bring the dogs over. Mayo and Casper growl at each other quite a bit and don't play together. We assume they are fighting to be the alpha and both want to dominate Pixie. Mayo and Casper have gotten into about 3 different nearly-biting type attacks where we had to intervene to stop them.

Although we have had the alpha dog issues at my mom's house, we have never had those kinds of problems with Mayo and Pixie at home before. Mayo is very submissive over eating whereas Pixie growls for like all of 2 seconds and Mayo always submits and leaves until Pixie is done eating. Pixie is really not aggressive about anything. Mayo is very timid around new people and will run away from most anyone until he learns that they aren't a threat. Other than these problems he hasn't been aggressive.

However for about the past week we have seen a large increase in the amount of aggressive behavior from Mayo. The first time we noticed this was when my 4 year old daughter came into our bedroom in the middle of the night one night when she had woken up. He growled at her and wouldn't stop until I started petting him and had her pet him to calm him down. My daughter wakes a lot at night and he has since been growling at her every time. We thought this was just a way of protecting his territory at night and didn't think too much about it.

But now he is even growling and snapping at Pixie sometimes for no apparent reason. He growls really bad at my daughter nearly every time she comes close to him. He is very jealous over my attention to Pixie. He still submits over food though. I am really afraid he's going to attack my daughter or Pixie. He's just plain in a bad kind of mood all the time and I don't know why.

I have usually just petted him and told him no when he starts growling. And sometimes I have just ignored him and watched carefully so I could intervene if needed. In the case of my daughter, I have tried to teach her to leave him alone when he growls at her but she desperately wants him to be friendly again. I don't know what to do. I love Mayo, but am willing to give him to a rescue facility so they can rehabilitate him so another family can adopt him.

Any advice?

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
No no no, you NEVER comfort a distressed dog. By petting him when he's growling, you're essentially telling him, "It's okay to be angry/upset/worried!" You shouldn't be ignoring it, either, because that's telling him that you're submitting to HIM. Whatever he's saying when he's growling(I really wish I could understand "dog"), walking away is like saying, "Yeah, sure, okay. You're the boss." And he can't be the boss. Because one of these days, and perhaps soon, he could very well attack your daughter.

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
so are you prepared for little pug maltese mix pups floating around?

Fix both of them and you could find yourself having less problems. Why aren't they fixed? At this rate you have no idea which dog will be the father of the babies, when exactly they will be due, and the back ground of each dog.

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
You really need to get them fixed. I'm sure the raging hormones aren't the only cause here but it's definitely a contributing factor.

I'm also not really sure why you're letting them "mate"...you do realize that small dogs are extremely prone to problems giving birth, right? You could lose your female.

·
Guarded by Waffles
2,921 Posts
It doesn't seem like he needs any rehabilitation. It sounds like normal behavior. You shouldn't have them both fighting over her. I would suggest getting them ALL fixed. It would help fix a lot of problem.s

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We are fine with having Matipugs regardless of which dog is the father. She went into heat about 2 weeks after we got her and has not been in heat since then. And from what I understand they can only get pregnant in a short time frame around that time. We can't afford to get them fixed anyways. But I understand the point all of you are trying to make.

christine: I don't see how it could be considered "normal". I've never had a dog act this way on a daily basis for this long. The occasional growl is normal, but all the time? Doesn't seem normal to me in the least.

Does anyone have advice for how better to stop this behavior since petting him and ignoring him aren't the right things to do?

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
We are fine with having Matipugs regardless of which dog is the father. She went into heat about 2 weeks after we got her and has not been in heat since then. And from what I understand they can only get pregnant in a short time frame around that time. We can't afford to get them fixed anyways. But I understand the point all of you are trying to make.

christine: I don't see how it could be considered "normal". I've never had a dog act this way on a daily basis for this long. The occasional growl is normal, but all the time? Doesn't seem normal to me in the least.

Does anyone have advice for how better to stop this behavior since petting him and ignoring him aren't the right things to do?
It's normal when you have an intact male around an intact female.

If you can't afford to get them fixed, how will you afford taking care of the puppies and getting mom veterinary care? Like I said, toy breeds are very prone to pregnancy and birth complications.

There are low-cost spay/neuter clinics, call your local shelter and I'm sure they'd be willing to help you out.

I'm also sorry to say that the best advice was already given. You really need to fix the dogs to deal with the behavioral problems.

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
I cannot believe how infuriatingly ignorant you are.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HM8UmHM8Uo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUAn8sBdyZI&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONhTot2K7kk&feature=related

Yes, I know you "aren't a mill" but by not being able to afford the dogs in your care - let alone pups on the way and then selling them for a small profit to someone who you do not know or have properly screened then- you become a Backyard Breeder, BYB. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuiGeV6BZTQ

You need to have the dogs fixed. You are not a responsible pet owner if you "dont mind having maltipug" mutts running around tricking people into thinking they are getting a healthy dog. If you do not know the background of your dogs and letting it slut around you are part of the problem. Ever heard of over population?

·
Guarded by Waffles
2,921 Posts
Did you even research before buying/getting these dogs? These must be your first dogs! If you don't realize that two intact males are fighting over an intact female is normal then im sorry but I can't help!

Maybe this well help. Two men fighting over a woman. Get it? Maybe that got through. Yea we're being rude, but we're passionate and you want these two hormonal MALE dogs to just ignore nature and behave your way. Sorry that isn't going to happen. They are males and want the female. You should really think about starting to find homes NOW since you can't afford the puppies. If you can't afford to fix the males now, you won't be able to care for the puppies properly. Sorry, truth hurts

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
as someone that works at a shelter, i will share some info.

We get nearly 10,000 animals a year in our shelter, most strays and abandoned and dropped off dogs and cats are intact. They wonder looking for others and such. They have behavior problems that many go away simply by fixing them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts