Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have two Poms. The Dad is about 5 years old. Dad weighs about 12-13 pounds. His Daughter is about 4. Both are shelter dogs adopted from two different shelters a year apart.
The Dad is having a health issue. Soon after he goes to sleep he starts to gag and then throws up. Most of the time it is just mucus or bial. Sometimes it is un-digested food from dinner. Sometimes he throws up more than once during the night. He is being fed Science I/D about 5 pm. He is fed several small amounts over about 30 minutes. Once in a while in the evening while he is sleeping on the couch he will throw up too. He may go a day with no problems once in a while. Other than this he is normal in every way.
Our vet feels it is IBD. I am not so sure. I thought IBD was more about pooping trouble than throwing up?
Our vet has tried:
Pepcid
Pepto
Mmetronidazole 250mg
Sucralfate
Metaclopramide 10mg
Famotodine 20mg
predisone 5mg
Tylan Powder
We also tested for a vitamin deficiency and worms. Both are ok.
None of the above has made a difference. Anyone have any thoughts?
Thanks! Alan

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
It sounds like the food doesn't agree with him. Throwing up a little bile can be a sign of an empty stomach but that's not what's going on if he's fed in the evening and sometimes pukes undigested food.

I would switch him a meat-based diet with a limited ingredient list. A canned food would be ideal but if you stick with dry kibble make sure the food is at least grain-free (I'm only saying this because so many dogs have problems with grains and are then diagnosed with IBD). Innova EVO, Wellness Core, and Orijen are a few to look into.

Another option would be a raw diet, either pre-made or homemade. My dog Sophie had the same issues as your dog (plus frequent loose stools and occasional diarrhea) and I was told she probably had IBD and a sensitive stomach. I switched her to Innova, which helped, but she continued throwing up at night...it was just less frequent. Her stools were almost always soft (which didn't help her anal gland problems...) and she still had allergies, just more minor symptoms. I ended up switching her to a pre-made raw food called Stella and Chewy's. She immediately stopped throwing up and her stools became small and hard. Pre-made raw is expensive and her eyes were still tearing a lot (an allergy symptom of hers) so I ended up doing a homemade diet (Google "prey model raw"). I've never looked back ;). I can't believe that her "IBD" went away so easily and wish I switched sooner. Now all of our dogs are on a raw diet.

A raw diet is really the best thing for dogs with IBD or similar diagnoses. But if raw (even pre-made...there are a ton on the market now such as Bravo! and Primal) isn't an option, try a high-quality grain-free food, preferably canned. I believe that the EVO 95% meat canned food has the highest meat content but there are probably others that are similar.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks...

Great reply. thanks. I am not sure I understand what raw food is. Is this or evolution something PETCO or Petsmart sells?

UOTE=Sasami;633481]It sounds like the food doesn't agree with him. Throwing up a little bile can be a sign of an empty stomach but that's not what's going on if he's fed in the evening and sometimes pukes undigested food.

I would switch him a meat-based diet with a limited ingredient list. A canned food would be ideal but if you stick with dry kibble make sure the food is at least grain-free (I'm only saying this because so many dogs have problems with grains and are then diagnosed with IBD). Innova EVO, Wellness Core, and Orijen are a few to look into.

Another option would be a raw diet, either pre-made or homemade. My dog Sophie had the same issues as your dog (plus frequent loose stools and occasional diarrhea) and I was told she probably had IBD and a sensitive stomach. I switched her to Innova, which helped, but she continued throwing up at night...it was just less frequent. Her stools were almost always soft (which didn't help her anal gland problems...) and she still had allergies, just more minor symptoms. I ended up switching her to a pre-made raw food called Stella and Chewy's. She immediately stopped throwing up and her stools became small and hard. Pre-made raw is expensive and her eyes were still tearing a lot (an allergy symptom of hers) so I ended up doing a homemade diet (Google "prey model raw"). I've never looked back ;). I can't believe that her "IBD" went away so easily and wish I switched sooner. Now all of our dogs are on a raw diet.

A raw diet is really the best thing for dogs with IBD or similar diagnoses. But if raw (even pre-made...there are a ton on the market now such as Bravo! and Primal) isn't an option, try a high-quality grain-free food, preferably canned. I believe that the EVO 95% meat canned food has the highest meat content but there are probably others that are similar.[/QUOTE]

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
The diet I feed is homemade so I buy the meat at the grocery store or butcher.

This site gives a quick outline of the diet and also has a guide to getting started: http://preymodelraw.com/why-pmr/

If anything is unclear after reading through the website, feel free to ask :).

If you wanted to do pre-made raw then yes, the foods can be found at pet stores. PetCo sells a freeze-dried raw food (they're patties that are re-hydrated with water) but I'm not sure what it's called (I'll look it up if you want). Your best bet for finding more of a variety is a smaller, independent pet store. Ask for brands like Bravo! or Primal. They come in patties or chubs and are frozen (so check to see if the store has a freezer). Stella and Chewy's is another good brand but contains more ingredients.

As for non-raw foods, EVO is sold by PetCo. I think they have Wellness Core, too. Call the store in advance since I know the stores can vary a bit in food selection.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Great tips Sasami. Alklb, definitely try raw diet for your dog, start with those commercial raw food. We're lucky here we have two slaughter house just two roads away..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts