Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just wanted to write here coz I knew you guys would all understand. Was tickling Patty's belly last night and noticed a big lump by her left leg :(

Just got back from the vets and she said it's best to take it out as female rats are prone to mammary tumours, and they occur exactly where's Patty's lump is. So they're doing it today. They said coz she's fairly young it's worth the risk of the anasthetic so we just gotta keep our fingers crossed. Then providing all that goes ok, we have to hope it doesn't come back or hasn't spread. She said it's still fairly squidgy and mobile which is a good thing.

I felt really cruel seperating my 2 girls this morning as it's the first time they've ever been apart :(

Have any of you guys had problems with ratty tumours?

·
Registered
745 Posts
Oh I´m sorry. Good luck to you and Patty. I hope everything goes well. *hugs*

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just rung them and they said I can go pick her up in an hour or so, so hopefully that means everythings gone well.

I've got to keep her in a seperate cage for a while, and my girls have never been seperated before. The vet said to have their cages next to eachother so they can see eachother, but she said Patty will smell different when going home. Do you guys have any advice on putting Patty back in the cage when she's allowed? I don't want them to not be able to live together anymore, so I want to make sure I do it all as best I can!

·
Dinky Gerbilelbow
2,425 Posts
Aww i hope everything has gone fine and that she doesnt get anymore tumors. As for putting her back when the time comes just introuduce them on neutral ground and clean and re-arrange the whole cage so it looks different and i am sure they will go together again just fine xx

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well she's home. I picked her up hours ago. The vet said she hadn't bothered with the wound but if she started licking it or biting it to put the cone on her head, as they passed me a tiny cone! Sure enough, as soon as she was settled back into her cage (I've taken out the floor with the hole and ladder in, and put a full floor in, so one rat is on the top level, the other is on the bottom, they can see eachother but they can't touch eachother!) she started licking it, not even a gentle prod from me would stop her.

I spent 45 minutes trying to get the cone on her head, everytime I got it on, she'd push it back off. She was having none of it. So I rung the vets and they told me to take her back in so one of the nurses could do it. They tried for a while and had exactly the same problem as me, and in all her struggles, Patty had managed to re-open part of her wound. So they glued it back together, and came with the solution of a big purple plaster wrapped tightly around her back end :) She can't walk all that well with it, but she can get around to her food and water, and more importantly she can't lick it or bite it so there should be no infection.

They said the lump came out easily which is a good thing, so fingers crossed after the wound has healed and she grows fur back over her little bald patch, she'll be good as new. Welcome home Patty!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Some pics (this may be a bit naughty, but thought you guys would like to see them. I'm not meant to post links until I get a message count of 20, but if you copy these links and remove the space before 'patty', they'll work)...

Patty with her plaster on...
i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm42/wickedlyspiced/ patty1.jpg

Patty falling over, courtesy of the plaster...
i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm42/wickedlyspiced/ patty2.jpg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.