Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
4,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to vent about this because it angers me to no end. Why is it that people who complain about being broke all the time continue to bring more pets into their home? WHY? :confused: To me, I think that is highly irresponsible to have barely enough money to cover basic bills such as rent (or mortgage), utilities, food, etc. and turn around and buy more animals! How in the world do these people expect to pay for medical care? As far as I am concerned these people are considered "animal collectors" and have no business bringing animals into their home.

· Obsessed With Turtles
3,463 Posts
I wholeheartedly agree! It is unfortunately all about priorities and I think that being able to afford what you currently have is most important. I honestly think a lot of people think of animals as a one time investment rather than the reality that there is going to be an ongoing exspense for the life of the animal!

· Registered
1,157 Posts
I think people who continue to take in animals are convinced that they are doing something good ... I don't believe they, generally, realize that what they are doing is actually destructive to the well-being of their animal. For instance, they may think they are making a difference by adopting or whatever ... and that appeals to them. But really they are harming their animals -- which they probably do love -- by putting them in jeopardy of not being able to get the care that they need.

If you know someone like this you should try to find a polite way to point this fact out to them. I'm sure many do not have any intention of putting their animals in such a precarious situation. You never know, you may make a difference and save an animal's life ... or at least improve their wellbeing.

· Tarzan Mama of Two
7,329 Posts
I totally agree with everyone. It makes me soo mad....on the other hand one of my friends did take in animals that when she was flat broke and couldn't afford her bills but if her animal got sick she would let the phone get cut off and go without food to get the animals help so why she wasn't being the smartest girl in the world she was compassionate. Just so you know there are good hearted crazy people out there!!lol

· Registered
725 Posts
I agree their hearts are trying to be in the right place but they are causing themselves and their animals greif.

· Registered
134 Posts
I can see the point of all the anger . . . but quite frankly I am poor! I know that! I take good care of my animals . . . when my dog broke her wrist I used all the money I had (Christmas money) and went and got her leg casted. She always has a full dish of food . . . and she gets a glucosimine tablet everyday to prevent the joint from being too terribily athritic. I only have two animals now the dog and an iguana.
If I thought I couldn't take care of them I would give them up . . . For instance my husband and I were doing well and got some animals (reptiles) and then some stuff happened and we ran into money problems and we gave them to good homes . . but it broke my heart. I've always had animals. I would never treat one poorly. So my dog has a $1.50 pillow to sleep on at night and not a $50.00 pet bed. She is treated as one of the family and is feed properly and loved.
I do understand what you are saying . . . about people taking on too many and not caring for them . . . but whats to say that we can't have one or two if we take good care of them?

· Registered
1,157 Posts
I think that is a different situation, KaiyasMom. :) A lot of people wouldn't be responsible enough ... that is what I have a problem with. I think it was very admireable of you to do what is best for your pets :) but not everyone out there has a good enough heart to do so. Some people will be flat broke and take on more and more pets week after week ... that situation isn't healthy ... but I don't think you fit that bill.

· Registered
5,282 Posts
There is a big difference, Ray and I aren't poor, but we aren't way far ahead either. Emergency pet bills hurt us, but we switch up some stuff, live on oodles and noodles until the next paycheck, and we are fine.

However, my Mom fits this role perfectly. Her bills are always late. She is on social security disability, my step-dad, I personally think, is milking worker's compensation. So no one works. They have 2 dogs, 3 cats, and a betta. However both dogs always get groomed, and everyone has food, but their priorities are askewed. I think they should have stopped at 1 pet, maybe 2, and focused more on their finacial troubles. But the subject of my parents' working condtitions, life style, and just basic morality can get me fired up pretty fast. :tearhair:

· Registered
22 Posts
while my money situation isnt exactly brilliant i own 2 rats and a dog. if medical bills come up i have money that i can use in emergencies (overdrafts come in handy sometimes) and pay back later without a problem. mines the same as kaiyas mom, i dont spend a fortune on my pets but they have my love and everything i can give them. ok they dont have luxury beds or anything but theyre happy and well cared for and id do everything to keep them healthy and happy. id rather get a mutt and have the extra money to spend on things for the animal than buy a pure bred and have less money (something a lot of people dont like to hear but to me it makes sense, i can get a good dog for £50, either a mutt or from the shelter, and have plenty of money for food and toys and training etc or i can pay £500 and have less for dog stuff) i dont agree with animal collectors though, while i may get more rats as i have plenty of room and it doesnt cost a fortune to feed them and look after them i wont get another dog while i have Rupert, i dont have the time, space or money. while i would like to adopt almost every dog that comes into the shelter i would never even try to do it lol. money isnt everything, its just necessary :0(

· Registered
725 Posts
I volunteer with a lady who has enough money but is still and animal horder. She has 22 cats and some are feral because she doesn't, can't, spend enough time with the animals. I think she is a bit odd. She is very kind and loving but slightly impaired in the judgement catagory.
I don't think that have 3 or 4 animals qualifies willibob, you don't sound like your in a frightful state yet!:)

· Registered
22 Posts
lol, no im not at that terrible state yet (and i never will be i hope) but i dont have a lot of money but still own pets. most of the money i do have actually goes on my pets very little is spent on me other than essentials. i dont see its wrong to have pets without having a lot of money. its wrong to have more pets than you can care for and spend time with though however much money you have

· Registered
3,382 Posts
Denise I agree with you and can fully understand your anger and wanting to vent and start this topic. It makes me almost shake my head, only because of what we do on a poor enlisted military salary :lol: We get looks all the time about how many pets we have here, but ya know it's like this, we have no children just us, our bills are paid, our rent is paid, we splurge once in awhile, so why not have the animals we want to be a part of our family, they are cared for, vet checks regularly, shots up to date, and like Capn' emergency vet bills can hurt,but we always manage somehow (ramen noodles, yum) :lol:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.