Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Poooooppp!
Joined
·
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mom has some really strange beliefs, and according to her keeping my rabbits in my room is going to make me sick because Simon sheds tons of hair, it's everywhere! I've kinda gotten use to the idea that he's gonna shed and there's not much I can do (besides brush him). I googled and found nothing stating that it could be bad for me, I don't have asthma or allergies, what do you guys think?
 

· is a little "special"
Joined
·
4,182 Posts
Everything in my room has a layer of rabbit hair covering it LOL, and I haven't died yet!
 

· Betta Bomb
Joined
·
5,417 Posts
I agree, bs. Pet hair does nothing but add protein to food :p and decoration to clothes. I also firmly believe that if you expose a child to dirt and grime and pet dander you help them become immune to it. Myself and two sisters were brought up in a less than ideal environment (very dirty) and around animals we are all very healthy and have wicked immunity. My neice's friend and my cousins were strictly prohibited from the exposure of certain things and are prone to health problems and severe allergies.
BTW, if she is complaining and you are having a problem with the fur, get a dust buster. Hand held. I bought one tonight for 20$ from WalMart and I cannot wait to try it out!!! :D
 

· Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
Everybody is different--some have allergies and some don't. I, unfortunately, am allergic to pet hair...dog-cat-you name it...I start to itch/develop hives where the hair touches, and if I inhale the hair, my throat starts to itch/swell up (just like my skin)..so-i'm having to be very careful about all of the hair my bunns have suddenly started to shed! I swear these two rabbits shed more hair than my 2 Labs!!! I vacuum a lot, and have started taking them outside and using the zoom-groom on them (it works wonderfully)~ the hubby still gets irritated about the floating bunny hair, but I think I will eventually keep the hair levels down (I didn't know they were going to shed like they have so I didn't really take any preventative measures.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
I call bull. In fact, it'll probably prevent you from developing allergies. It's like one of favorite doctors, Dr. Christiane Northrup says, "If you don't want your child developing dog allergies, get a dog!"
Er, no. That's not how allergies work.

My family has had a cat since my sister was born. She's allergic to cats.

Kids introduced to peanuts and shellfish too early will develop allergies.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
240 Posts
Er, no. That's not how allergies work.

My family has had a cat since my sister was born. She's allergic to cats.

Kids introduced to peanuts and shellfish too early will develop allergies.
Stole the words right out of my fingers. I've been around cats and dogs since I was in the womb/little and I have allergies to both. New studies have suggested that prolonged exposure may contribute to developing allergies (e.g houses where rice is a staple are more likely to have children with rice allergies)

But, no, I don't think hair is bad for you unless you have allergies. Inhaling it wouldn't be good but it won't kill you.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Stole the words right out of my fingers. I've been around cats and dogs since I was in the womb/little and I have allergies to both. New studies have suggested that prolonged exposure may contribute to developing allergies (e.g houses where rice is a staple are more likely to have children with rice allergies)

But, no, I don't think hair is bad for you unless you have allergies. Inhaling it wouldn't be good but it won't kill you.
Yup!

I think the doctor may have oversimplified it. If a child lives in a very clean house and is exposed to not a lot of germs, their immune system may start to think that food and other things are actually viruses or bacteria and start thinking they are, causing the child to develop a allergy.

The doctor may have been trying to say, If you don't want kids to have a compromised immune system, then let the child's immune system work, but the way they said it made it sound literal.

I've heard of people who became lost near a single foodsource, (mango's, in one instance) and survived by eating them for weeks on end, but by the time they were found, they had developed a allergy for them (and gotten sick of the taste!)

What happens is if you're over exposed to certain things, your body will stop thinking it's food/hair/etc and think something is attacking your body.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
I agree with a few others... you should be fine as long as you aren't allergic to your pet's hair and/or dander. Regardless, do your best to maintain a clean and sanitary living environment for both you and for Simon. Use lint rollers and vacuum regularly to pick up any excess hair. While you probably won't be able to pick up ALL of it, you can help to prevent it from piling up, which will decrease the chances of you and Simon from accidentally ingesting any pet hair. This will not only ensure his overall health, but yours as well. Good luck!!!
 

· Poooooppp!
Joined
·
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So, soon after I got my buns my aunt decides she's gonna let me cousin have one, but recently they gave it away. I found out it was because my aunt claimed it made her sick and my cousin looked up info on the net that said that rabbits aren't suppose to be kept indoors and can make humans sick and apparently my aunt had gotten a throat infection she claimed was from the rabbit...... and now my mom is all paranoid that keeping my rabbits is gonna make me sick.
 

· Betta Bomb
Joined
·
5,417 Posts
Well, outdated info can be the cause of that one! And ignorance. Looking at 1 source should never give anyone a full opinion!!! Always always check out like 5+ sources for info. And given that internet is so accessible, there should be no problem! Tell them to re-check. www.rabbit.org is a good place to start! Not to mention everyone here has already disclaimed it ^^

My bf is allergic to pet dander and has hay fever but can hold my molting bunny while she gets her nails clipped and he's fine with a bit of saline for his eyes :)
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top