Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at puppies in a pet store a few years ago, and I saw one that wasn't as cute as most of the others, and I felt bad for the little guy, worried that he would be overlooked and no one would buy him. Being a sucker for animal "underdogs", I asked an employee what happened to the puppies that didn't sell. You don't usually see fully grown dogs in the pet stores, so they have to go somewhere.

The employee smugly told me it had never happened-they had sold every puppy they had ever gotten. I found that really hard to believe, so I'm asking anyone here who may know what really happens to unsold animals (or someone who can confirm that it is possible the guy was telling the truth).

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
:question: I kinda wonder the same thing, do they just eventually keep them as pets? or give them to other pet stores for them to try to sell them?!?!

·
I Wish I Were a Snot Ball Shooter
1,165 Posts
I worked for a little family-run pet shop for 5 years, and yes, there were times we thought certain puppies would be full-grown before they got homes. I can tell you - because I've seen it time and again - you put a low enough price on a puppy and/or advertise a sale on puppies and people wanting puppies will come out of the woodwork. Then comes the problem of people just wanting a "cheap puppy". My boss is pretty good at sorting through the riff-raff though, and talking people out of puppies she doesn't feel would be right for them. But, she's been known to practically give puppies away. Just a few weeks back she had some yorkies that started at $900 and she ended up selling them for $450. I remember a litter of goldens that she sold for $99 when they were normally $400.
She also has a couple of small dog rescues and one other pet shop that she'll pass the word to about certain puppies. Or she'll ask us if we know anyone who'd be interested, and if it's a puppy that we all love dearly - she may just give him/her to someone we know.
One good thing about breeding the puppies you sell - you can somewhat control how many you end up with. Like right now, the girls who come into heat would have their puppies first of the year, so they'd be weaned first of March or so, which is a slow time for selling puppies. So, not all of them will be bred this heat cycle. If 4 of the same breed come into heat all at the same time, not all 4 will be bred.
Places like Petland - I've always wondered myself. I don't know if other little family pet shops are like the one where I worked - but I suspect at least some of them are.

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
I always wondered the same thing.

·
Salamander Burgermuffin
2,612 Posts
i always wondered the same thing, but i thought petstores didnt really sell puppies anymore, since i havent seen any for a long time. but i remember my aunt used to work at petland and they had puppies i guess they still do? i could ask her sometime i suppose. i always just figured they would put them on sale after awhile? alot of people find it hard to resist things that are on sale.. and well, puppies are pretty hard to resist on there own.

·
Rodentologist
1,941 Posts
Typically, family run pet stores are the only stores that sell puppies any more (along with Petland, which are all franchises and locally owned). Most other pet stores have stopped because of the extensive overcrowding of dogs and cats.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Most stores i know just keep lowering the price until the animal is sold

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Typically, family run pet stores are the only stores that sell puppies any more (along with Petland, which are all franchises and locally owned). Most other pet stores have stopped because of the extensive overcrowding of dogs and cats.
Not here.
Pets Unlimited sells puppies from mills.The family run pet stores never sell puppies,unless someone brings them in.Same with kittens.

·
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes
2,934 Posts
We were afraid that Belle would find out the answer to that question - that is why Jay finally broke down and bought her. Bescause she spent so much time at the pet store she was really independant and not at all cuddly when she came home. I am not sure what happened over the years but now she is a complete lap dog that adores being cuddled!
Oh and I really think they go back to the breeder to be bred.

·
Fluffy Gerbilshorts
4,378 Posts
Petland sells mill puppies even though the petstores are usually locally owned.

I don't know about puppies, but I do know that a lot of the small pets are left there until someone buys them. I was in petco the other day and they had a hamster that had been in there for MONTHS. Its sad that no one has taken him yet because he is really tame. The girl told me that they handle him all the time when there is nothing left to do. When I got Scofield from Petsmart, he was over a year old.

·
Rodentologist
1,941 Posts
Most puppies sold in stores are from mills (or from "local", "responsible" breeders which is another debate altogether). However, the big corporate stores like Petco and Petsmart don't sell dogs and cats, hence my assertion that usually smaller, family owned stores tend to do so.

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
i don't want to know what they do with the animals at the store that i know sells them. that store is **** for animals. i know they keep their birds for ages and they breed cats in the store to sell the babies off of them.. its sad and gross and everything

·
Registered
19 Posts
I use to work in a family owned pet store as well. They just kept lowing the price until the dog is sold. All the dogs come in the store at 6 weeks old and almost all of them are at least $1000, if not $2000 or higher. The mixes where the only ones that stayed in the hundreds but still closer to a thousand dollar range. However, the popular mixes went for several thousand. I remember a goldendoodle that was $2200 and they sold it for that price.

Every couple weeks the price of the puppies dropped a couple hundred. Than we had a system where if the potential buyers asked if the puppy they were looking at was on sale we would go look up a set price in the book that is lower than the original asking price. Than we'd come back and say "You're in luck! This puppy is on sale for ________." Than they'd be like "Oh! Did you hear that honey? He's on sale!" And if they never ask if the dog is on sale they never find out the lower price.
Than new 6 week old puppies came in every week or every other week. I remember we had a 4 week old chihuahua female come in. I got fired before it was sold so I never found out if it lived or not. They said I wasn't meeting my quota, for selling X amount of puppies each week.

The whole thing is just one big game. Pet stores that sell cats and dogs make me sick!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I hate to be the one to tell you guys, but... I was told that some petstores Euthanize certain puppies when they reach a certain age if not sold (at the lowest price they can sell for). They can't possibly take them to a rescue/spca because they are mostly over crowded as is, and A lot of puppy mills that they get them from don't take them back. Some do, but its not always the case.

·
Guarded by Waffles
2,921 Posts
I know the Petland near me sells puppies and kittens. It is so sad. I hope they don't go back to puppy mills. It's sad if they are euthenized

·
Herp Nerd
1,115 Posts
Actually, you would be amazed at the high animal turnover most pet stores have, especially the big chains. That is the benefit of selling to anyone who has the cash, regardless of knowledge or intent. They also generally know the right numbers of animals to buy at once for the customer traffic in a given area, so as not to have them in the store for long. Smaller stores usually have less turnover, because they don't have as much marketing research behind them. Then, they often will discount, offer package incentives... anything they can to get animals out the door, because every moment they're in store, they're costing the store money in food and care. Of course, dogs and cats in pet stores are almost always ridiculously priced, so they don't lose money even if they have to resort to discounting. :p

·
Princess in Waiting
1,377 Posts
I'm a bit late to this thread, but I know that a lot of the animal rescue organizations have deals with the puppy mills and the animals that are rejected by the stores (and it happens pretty often) are turned over to rescue. This is the best case scenario. I shudder to think about the worst case.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I hate to be the one to tell you guys, but... I was told that some petstores Euthanize certain puppies when they reach a certain age if not sold (at the lowest price they can sell for). They can't possibly take them to a rescue/spca because they are mostly over crowded as is, and A lot of puppy mills that they get them from don't take them back. Some do, but its not always the case.
Almost no stores do that. They would rather sell the dog for $10 and atleast get that money out of them, than killing them and getting no money from them. Euthanize costs money too, and if they are already loosing money they are WAY more likely to just sell for cheap, to get the dog out the dog.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts