Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
canis lupus familiaris
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about investing in a fountain for my dogs. Spyro is a big drinker but Loki tends to be picky and sometimes doesn't drink as much as he should.

I was trying to find more info on them...such as if they filter anything more than large particles (like a faucet or pitcher filter for people.) How well do they work? Can anyone recommend one?

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
I've been wanting to get one of these for my dog...

http://www.glacierpointforcats.com/index.php

They look kind of weird but they are (lead free) ceramic and suppose to be easy to clean. They have a carbon filter and remove things like chlorine etc, much the same as the filters made for human drinking water.

You can get different models based on what you want, they even have one that comes with a cooler to keep the water cold. And you can buy replacement parts like filters or any other part on the site.

I've never tried one so I don't have personal experience but they seem to get good reviews. They are more commonly sold for cats I guess but I originally heard about them from a fellow dog owner who said she loves them for her dogs.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Drinkwell Platinum Pet Fountain--Best thing ever!!!

Have you looked into the Drinkwell Platinum Pet Fountain? (I got it on sale at PETCO.com and also got free shipping due to a promotion on their site) My co-worker has one of these, which he uses for his cats. He recommended it to me because he's noticed that it actually helped his cats stay hydrated by encouraging them to drink more water. My dog, Dre, sounds like your dog, Loki-- picky. So, I decided to give this a shot. Initially, Dre was intrigued by it but didn't drink.. After nearly 15 minutes of investigating it, he started to drink. I've had this for two weeks now and I can honestly say that it really did encourage him to drink more and hydrate himself on a regular basis. Anyway, I like it because it gives him clean water each time he drinks opposed to the regular bowl of stagnant water. Also, it filters out hair (Dre & I both shed tons of hair) and other debris.

·
canis lupus familiaris
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did look at the Drinkwells as well as a few other ones. However that is all it claimed to filter which isn't a problem but If I could skip filling up a bowl with my filtered water and just gave them their own (and it filtered the same) then it would just be easier lol.

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
My sister brought to my attention yesterday that the filters are capable of producing some gelatinous stuff. She showed me a picture and it looked like jello. she claims it sprouted almost overnight on the filter. She has Catit brand carbon filters/fountain.. It was disturbing.

·
Resident Zoologist
262 Posts

·
Guarded by Waffles
2,921 Posts
I have thought about them since Jezebel loves drinking from sinks. I've always read cats especially love running water so have thought about it but right now the budget is tight so am just cleaning the water dish daily

·
Registered
802 Posts
It is almost hot year all year round and we use this pet waterer,perfect for pets. One of our dog doesn't like to drink from it first but as soon as saw others drinking with fun, he starts to use it too.

·
Resident Zoologist
262 Posts
I love the Drinkwell Platinum Pet Fountain that wookiepupps mentioned.
I may try that...I want something with a larger, and preferably separate, reservoir...and that one looks like I could fill the reservoir with ice and water, just to keep things cooler for my cats.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently found something totally different. It's called Forever Fresh Water Bowl. At first I was a little worried because it has to be hooked up to water and a drain, but once I got it in, it was fantastic. I've never seen anything like it before. I have a 105 lb. german shephard and He can drink a lot of water when He's been running around. With this thing He gets all He wants. My cat is a little nervous with it so far, but I think He'll come around too.
I came across the site accidently when I was looking for pet fountains. Google it, it's worth it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.