1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Petco has agreed to stop selling parrots at all their stores! :woohoo:

Here's the story:

April 13, 2005
San Diego-based Petco has agreed to stop selling large birds to end a two-year boycott against the pet supply store by animal-rights group People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals.

Petco, the nation's second-largest pet supply company, said it will no longer sell birds such as African gray parrots, cockatoos and macaws once those currently in stock are sold.

PETA, in turn, will end its high-profile campaign against the company, which included a boycott, protests at Petco stores and a shareholder resolution condemning the sale of animals, among other measures.
Source

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
That's great!!

·
Curmudgeon
1,843 Posts
I honestly think the real reason is that they weren't making much money selling them. It's not all that profitable even for breeders to sell a lot of large parrots. Most pet stores make their money on merchandise and food, not livestock.

It was an economical decision that also won them some points with animal lovers.

What I DON'T like about this whole thing, is that PETA is taking credit for it.

PETA usually only does things that make PETA look good. If it actually helps animals ...so much the better!

Bob

·
Registered
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mygala said:
What I DON'T like about this whole thing, is that PETA is taking credit for it.

PETA usually only does things that make PETA look good. If it actually helps animals ...so much the better!
:yes: I agree 100%.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I was at my local Petco a while back and one of the clerks mentioned they rotated their large parrots between stores since they did not sell well at all. How sad and how infuriating that PETA is taking credit. Peta has claimed responsibility for letting animals loose at a fur farm that were subsequently run over and killed on a highway. Peta claimed that being run over was preferable to being killed in a humane way to make a pelt. UGH. Both ways suck. Peta is so clueless.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts