Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Previously I have been feeding my Degus DeguMenu by Vitakraft. However recently I discovered that the levels of fibre and vitamins in the feed were quite low. I wanted to buy some of the XtraVital Degu by Beaphar but the only bags of it I could find were way too small. I decided to go to pets at home to look for some Gerty Guinea pig food as I have been told this is a very good feed for Degus. Whilst there I found out that pets at home did there own brand of Degu nuggets, the ingredients of which looked much better then Degu menu. I decided to buy the nuggets as a trial and so far all my degus seem to like them. However I am beginning to worry a little as the pets at home store also says that willow and other woods I have been told are unsafe are fine for degus. Should I trust that the food they sell is good? does anybody know whether it is a good diet?

any answers will be appreciated thanks :)

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
Previously I have been feeding my Degus DeguMenu by Vitakraft. However recently I discovered that the levels of fibre and vitamins in the feed were quite low. I wanted to buy some of the XtraVital Degu by Beaphar but the only bags of it I could find were way too small. I decided to go to pets at home to look for some Gerty Guinea pig food as I have been told this is a very good feed for Degus. Whilst there I found out that pets at home did there own brand of Degu nuggets, the ingredients of which looked much better then Degu menu. I decided to buy the nuggets as a trial and so far all my degus seem to like them. However I am beginning to worry a little as the pets at home store also says that willow and other woods I have been told are unsafe are fine for degus. Should I trust that the food they sell is good? does anybody know whether it is a good diet?

any answers will be appreciated thanks :)
What's the ingredient list?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the ingredients are:
wheat, grass meal, soya hulls, oat bran, wheat bran, soya, vegetable oil, mint, mono-calcium, phosphate, calcium carbonate,fructo-oligosaccharides(profeed min.0.25%0, vitamins, minerals.

it also shows the typical analysis
moisture 9%, protein 16%, oils and fats 3%, fibre 16%, ash 6.5%, calcium 0.8%, phosphorus 0.5%, vitamin A 20,000iu/kg, vitamin d 1,200iu/kg, vitamin c 800mg/kg

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
Oh, yeah, I think I remember this one. Looks fine to me, probably one of the better foods in the UK. Sun Seed brand isn't carried over there, right?

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
is it sun seed that makes the vitadegu stuff? i think ive heard of it but ive never seen it sold over here :)
It might be under a different name there but in the U.S. we have a degu food called Sunscription Degu Diet by Sun Seed. It's a great food.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts