Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Banned
2,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a little rant.

If you have to re-home a pet for financial reasons, fine. But if at the same time you are looking to buy a different type of pet, that is not okay. Basically you are bored with your existing pet and are wanting to replace him with something new. What happens six months down the road when you are bored with that new pet? You cry that you can't afford it, yet you will most likely trade it in for something new. People like this should not be allowed to have the privilege of having an animal.

It really pisses me off when I see people doing this.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
That would be sad for the pet and it does happen alot.
Its sad how some treat their pets like toys they love for a while and then get tired of after a short while then decide to get others to replace them.
They usually didnt really know or care to find out beforehand what would be involved having that pet and want to get rid of them for something easier.

Imagine if parents did that with their kids after a while cuz they got to be too much work. Of course they wouldnt just trade the kids in for others. That would be heartbreaking ....but people do it to pets viewing them as just...animals. Animals have feelings too and would feel stress. I think they can feel when they arent wanted. Sad.

I just hope that any pets that go thru that are rehomed and that they at least take the time to really look for a good family for it..one who wants a pet to Love and be responsable for, one who knows about what the pet needs...not just to own for its cuteness.

Eek i typed a lot.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
Ugh like "trend" pets? :mad:
"I want this pet because everyone else has it..."
Or like bunnies (live) being given out @ Easter etc :mad:

Pets shouldn't be traded in when you want something new.

I can understand completely about financial reasons :yes:
Sometimes it really can't be helped :(
& The owner means well by putting the pet up for adoption since they really don't want them to be neglected. <- that can be a hard decision to make too.

·
Poo dont scare me!!!
3,758 Posts
What you are saying is correct...but you cant REALLY know someone elses situation unless you are in it...so I wouldnt just assume its because they are bored with their pet, unless this has happened numerous times with the same person...Just my opinion...Sometimes life gets hard and you have to make very difficult decisions...I wouldnt judge anyone who has/had to go through this because I personally know what it feels like.

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
You can usually tell someone who's giving up their pet because they have to, and someone who's giving it up because they're bored of it. It a way, I think it's good that they get rid of it. It's better they do that then keep it and neglect it. It's sad though, I feel bad for the animals.

When I adopt a pet, I consider it a life long commitment. They're part of the family. If something ever came up where the animal would be better off not in my care, then I would find it a new home. But I'll try very hard to make sure that is never the case.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
Dragonrain said:
You can usually tell someone who's giving up their pet because they have to, and someone who's giving it up because they're bored of it. It a way, I think it's good that they get rid of it. It's better they do that then keep it and neglect it. It's sad though, I feel bad for the animals.

When I adopt a pet, I consider it a life long commitment. They're part of the family. If something ever came up where the animal would be better off not in my care, then I would find it a new home. But I'll try very hard to make sure that is never the case.
^^^Good post ;)

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
:( ...very bad that they discard animals' lives so easy! but...also would not want the neglect thing to happen either....

·
Curmudgeon
1,843 Posts
jmb9101 said:
What you are saying is correct...but you cant REALLY know someone elses situation unless you are in it...so I wouldnt just assume its because they are bored with their pet, unless this has happened numerous times with the same person...Just my opinion...Sometimes life gets hard and you have to make very difficult decisions...I wouldnt judge anyone who has/had to go through this because I personally know what it feels like.
So true.

However, we've all seen posts here on this site of people thinking about or wanting to rehome animals for (what I would consider) stupid or frivolous reasons. Things like the "animal doesn't like me", or some such drivel. Most of the time it's due to unrealistic expectations of what the animal is really like.

As someone with four rehomed birds in my house, I can speak from experience that most people don't do enough research before they acquire an animal. It always torques me off to see posts by people like "Tell me all you know about XX animal, I'm getting one tomorrow."

Buy a book, search the web, do some research on your own, ...don't expect people to hand feed you what you need to know to be a good owner. JMO

bob

·
Banned
2,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jmb9101 said:

I'm not talking about just rehoming a pet. Sometimes **** does happen and you have to rehome. Believe me, I understand things like that. But that is not what I'm talking about.

I'm talking about getting a pet because "it's so cute", 2 months later the cute wears of because they didn't do any research, so you dump the pet and get something different. Its a never ending cycle. People like this shouldn't be allowed to get another pet. There is no situation when this is okay.

·
Poo dont scare me!!!
3,758 Posts
Bob and Amber, I agree with both of your statements.

Amber, your last post was a lot more clear than your first about the situation of the person...

·
Registered
410 Posts
I might of gotten my first rat on the spur of the moment desion, but afterwards I was on every rat website I could find. I thought she would be just like the mice I had at the time(of course she was totally different). I highly recomend people do the research before so they know what they are getting into. I think that might also reduce the pet dumpings.

·
Salamander Buffalokisser
1,727 Posts
When I got my cat Kramer I rescued him from a cat shelter, I more refer to it as kitty jail. There were so many cats there I felt bad for all of them and wanted to take them home but knew I couldn't. Kramer was dropped off out in the valley and brought into Anchorage to help him find a home. They dropped him off cause he was a long haired cat and has a bit of an attitude. I HAVE a feeling that he was abused as a kitten but can't prove it. He hates men for the most part.

I wish people would think about what they are getting into when getting a pet. Kramer was to be the family cat when we got him in 2002 but he got attached to me and when I got married and left him with my mom he meowed at her then would walk to the door like go get her and bring her back to me :lol: so I got a phone call saying come get your cat cause your breaking his poor kitty heart leaving him with us. I came and got him the next day, he follows me around like my little furry shadow :lol:

he is mine and will be mine till he dies I just wish more people felt that way about pets.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I know what you mean about people buying animals and getting bored with them and rehoming them. I have in the past had to rehome a couple of my dogs. We had adopted and AST from a rescue and she was great with most of us.. she had a problem with my son though. We tried training.. and everything we could... but when she attacked my son because he brushed against her in his sleep and cut his face so he had to get stitches she had to go back. We had her for about 6 months at the time and it broke our hearts to let her go but our human kids come first.

Then we had a Husky that was a sweet dog. She was really good with all of us. We had her and our other dog together for a couple of years and then all of a sudden one day she snapped. She attacked Buddy (shih tzu) and his eye popped out and he needed to have 2 surgeries within 3 days to repair it and he still has no sight in that eye. After that he was scared to death to go near her, and she growled at him everytime he walked by. I to this day have no clue why she snapped or changed but I did know that we couldn't have her in the house with the kids and other animals if she was acting this way. So once again we had to rehome another dog. It was really hard to do we had her since she was 3 months old and she was almost 3 years old at this point. She went into Husky rescue and they found a good home for her.

Sometimes people have to make the hard decision to rehome animals and there is nothing you can do about it. But I do agree that people that just tire of their animals should not have them.

~Jenn

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
Mygala said:
So true.

However, we've all seen posts here on this site of people thinking about or wanting to rehome animals for (what I would consider) stupid or frivolous reasons. Things like the "animal doesn't like me", or some such drivel. Most of the time it's due to unrealistic expectations of what the animal is really like.

As someone with four rehomed birds in my house, I can speak from experience that most people don't do enough research before they acquire an animal. It always torques me off to see posts by people like "Tell me all you know about XX animal, I'm getting one tomorrow."

Buy a book, search the web, do some research on your own, ...don't expect people to hand feed you what you need to know to be a good owner. JMO

bob
Now that is well said.
That alone makes me want to slap people.
It's lives they are dealing with.
When people just say "i'm getting such& such.." research should be done.

As mentioned,sometimes things come up& for certain reasons people can no longer care for the pet.
Re-homing animals can be a sad experience,especially if you really cared for that pet :( . So I do feel really bad when I know it's such a circumstance.

But those who want pets just for looks,or for "trend" reasons.
Grow up.Research.Thats a living being your going to be
responsible for.
Sometimes you can tell if that's the situation.
Especially if that person has an history of neglect
or re-homing pets they recently just got.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I see posts on craigslist all the time where people are literally trying to trade their pets, either for other pets, or for services. Someone a few months ago was trading two yorkie pups, one male, one female, to get someone to do repairs on their house. Seriously, thats just wrong. Other times I see posts where people are trying to trade one breed of dog for another. Pets have personalities, I don't see how you can just trade like that. Crazy.
And don't get me started on the easter bunny issue... A month ago, there were two rabbits in our shelter. I looked at their website today, and its filled with buns. about a month after easter. Is that really how quickly people get bored with pets?

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
With easter bunnies I think a lot of relatives just get the bunny to give to kids..who probably never even showed interest in a bunny before.
:(

Its heartbreaking isn't it?

·
Registered
501 Posts
I'm in the process of rehoming 5 goldfish....i am certainly not doing it for my sake but for theirs! The tank certainly isnt going to sit there empty, so more fish will be bought to replace them. If i trade the large goldies for smaller ones, i see nothing wrong with that, providing they go to a good home. Now if i dumped them, then bought smaller goldies to replace them, that would be VERY wrong.

The goldies are getting close to outgrowing the tank, i'd hoped to have moved to where i could house a larger tank, but that isnt happening it seems, so for the sake of the goldies they are being rehomed....certainly NOT dumped

There is a big difference between someone rehoming, and someone dumping an animal. If someone rehomes to a better place i do not need to know the details as to why they are doing it, and placing judgement on them, in my eyes, is just wrong. If they are dumping an animal, well thats a totally different kettle of fish!

·
Will It Ever Change?
7,346 Posts
personally i've been down this road, and i pride myself in the decisions i had to make. my spiny mice girls, 2 of them, acted like htey cared but once touching me, wanted to eat me (i swear). after having them 2 years, i decided it was very hard on my mental disposition, to want to give affection and attention and just keep getting bitten for it. so i contacted my lady friend here, lives outside the city. she had 5 very inbred spinies, male adn female. they were many generations of inbred, so they would not breed with each other. i researched long and hard about psinie's social preferences, and made the choice of giving my girls to my friend, in hopes they would enjoy her 5, maybe breed and have babies to share. from what i understand now, they are happy, a few of the inbreds passed, but my two and two of hers are still well. i'm unaware of any litters, but either way i made the (hard) choice of passing them on to be happier. then i got a hamster to fill the tank. now, there was no ho-hum bored and trading of pets involved. also i was LACKING THE EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE to further handle the girls and give them what they needed. the hardest decision ever is to concluce that YOUR abilities aren't what the pet needs. it's tough to accept your own limitations. however, i do have a friend that's miss-trendy-pet 2007, so i have experience on both ends of the spectrum

·
The Title Fairy Was Here
1,901 Posts
i see alot of them kinda ad's in the adtrader newspaper and the ppl at the sorting office let them do this it's so wrong the kinda things you see is im looking for a snake (of some kind) i'll swap for 2 rabbits, something along the lines of that its soo wrong i feel for these poor animals.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I agree. I saw on a craigslist the other day a woman wanting to trade in her hamster because her daughter didn't want it anymore and was going to look for a guinea pig for her. The adults need to be take responsibility for these pets. Not treat them like something that can be thrown away. These are living caring beings and should be treated as such. One of the hardest things I ever had to do was find a home for our cat "Ruby". Ruby had a great home but becausewe were moving to a place that would not allow cats and we had to move immediately. We had Ruby for five years and she was relocated and still living with a loving family today. I since have adopted a hamster from a shelter and had her for almost four years when she passed away almost a year ago. Parents who pick a pet for their children should also do it for themselves and hold themselves responsible for caring for that pet.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts