Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
3K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  mulder 
#1 ·
i am in the process of getting a house ready for 3 degus and i would love to see all of your homes you have bought or made or whatever and also what you are feeding them and toys for them and any recomendatiuons you may have. thanks-melony

#6 ·
As for food, you can feed them a high quality guinea pig pellet, with no molasses in the ingredients, and no special seeds or nuts in the mix. Just strictly plain pellets. Or, if you can find it in your area, Sunseed brand makes a Sunscription Degu Formula that is good.

The other main staple of their diet should be good quality hay. Timothy hay is the very best, but you can give them a variety of hays in addition to the timothy. Hays like brome, bermuda and orchard are nice to give them a variety of textures and flavors. Timothy is the most important though. You can give a little alfalfa, but not a lot because it has too much calcium to be a staple hay.

Those should be available 24 hours a day, along with a water bottle.

They also enjoy a variety of veggies, so you can give them some veggies everyday. They like all kinds, tomatoes, green beans, various greens (like collard greens, turnip greens or dandelion), red leaf or green leaf lettuce, parsley, and other veggies.

There are certain veggies you should only give occasionally, because of the high sugar content - like sweet potato and carrots. Degus are prone to developing diabetes, so you should stay away from anything with sugar in it.

You can give other things as treats like plain shredded wheat, oats, dry pasta, a small piece of melba toast, peanuts or sunflower seeds. The last three on this list should not be given regularly, because of high salt and fat content. It's important not to let Degus get over weight, because that can also precipitate diabetes.

That's just some general diet info. I hope it helps! And congrats on the Goos!

#7 ·
mulder, that's impressive!

jacko's website also shows a nice cage!

I wish I could make something like that! Skippy's current cage is not big enough - it's not small but it only has one level. I did however put some branches there and a hammock when he feels like being "up". I'm going to move in a few months so I'm planning on getting him a cage with levels so that he can climb up and explore :).

#9 ·
Wow! :) nice cage mulder! That must've been like heaven for your goo girls!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.