Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently my rats have a cage by Super Pet...the 2 level Habitat Defined. I'm thinking of moving them into a cage from Martin's Cages...but one thing: I'm worried about the fact his are all wire! Won't that hurt their little paws? All of my guys have their ramps, shelves, etc in smooth plastic at the moment. I know they will probably start to chew it, though, so I know a new cage is best. Will the galvanized wire mesh hurt their feet since they have been on plastic? I'm just being a worried mama who needs some help!

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
They should NEVER have mesh to walk on its bad for their feet they should always have a solid floor. Your best bet is a custom cage or critter nation something high quality and very big

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
i definetly like the martin cages, but if ur concerned about there feet u can put fabric over the shelves.

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
You could just as easily cover it with cardboard it also gives a more solid surface than fabric and if chewed its VERY easy to replace coroplast and a few other materials are also doable

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
My two boys were in a nice Super Pet Exotics cage with lots of plastic ramps and platforms and they never chewed on the plastic. We had lots of wood toys and carboard items for them to chew on and they didn't chew their plastic ramps or platforms. I felt the same way about mesh and wire. Not comfortable for little footies.
BUT, if your rats do start chewing on the plastic parts of their cage, do they have sufficient chew toys and things to chew on so they don't resort to the ramps and platforms? If you do decide for some reason that you really want to get another cage, you can try for a Martin's cage that has solid platforms like the other poster suggested. Have your boys started chewing on their platforms or were you just thinking they MIGHT start chewing on them for some reason?

·
Official Loofah Tester
1,365 Posts
My first cages were martin's cages. The wire platforms never gave them any problems.

Basically, the devil is in the details (which seems to be my favorite phrase lately).

If the floor surfaces are completely grill type configuration then that is more uncomfortable than the grid/mesh style flooring. I would also avoid galvanized cages because they absorb urine smells and deteriorate faster and are harder to clean. Instead, make sure you get powder coated. The cage will last 2 years longer easily.

If the wire is not cleaned regularly, the foot pad pressure combined with unsanitary conditions is a perfect breeding ground for bumble foot.

If the cage is completely wire, including the base pan, with no way for them to get on a more comfortable surface, then that is a complete no no.

For a solid plastic platform of the super exotic cage? They are pee and urine traps which causes your little rat to marinate in their own waste, also a perfect breeding ground for bumble foot...more so in some ways because their feet are always in it. Not to mention the occasional chewing. You also have a harder time attaching hammocks and such than you would with wire shelves.

Apples for apples, all of the cleaning and comfort concerns about both can be solved with adding felt liners pinned or clamped onto the ramps. The felt absorbs liquid waste and makes clean up simpler.

Even if did get a martin's and you don't choose to cover the mesh shelf levels, regular cleanings will prevent any health issues, and lots of hammocks will give them plenty of comfy surfaces on which to move. Don't forget that the floor level is solid as well, so they have that entire surface on which to walk.

A large number of rat owners have martin's cages and love them, and since your only concern is comfort, it really depends on how much money and time you want to invest in felt liners and/or cleaning.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My guys have never tried to chew much at all, but I'm just worried they will once they are adults from what I've heard- especially my boys who are now still babies. It sucks because I LOVE the cage by Super Pet. It's perfect for 2. None the less I like the bit of extra space from martins! Is plastic is comfier should I just stay there? I'd have to cover the mesh of this for sure? : http://www.martinscages.com/images/full/r-690.jpg

If so, I know they would mark on fabric or tear it town somehow for the bottom (they love making their own little caves) so it seems hopeless? Any ideas would rock!

One more thing...speaking of chewing: my babies aren't bad at all and my older mama just enjoys it, but they do have fun when I can actually find a chew treat they like. The only treat I have found so far is Ware's Rice Pop. I also use dry pasta-- the tri-colored spirals. Can I use "Prevue Cosmic Sticks" or other calcium chews of that kind or is that JUST for gerbils/hamsters? What are your favorite chews?

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
I am not a fan of plastic shelves myself and prefer the wire martin's ones, but I usually cover them in stickdown lino, which is sooo easy to wipe, doesn't wreck the cage and easy to replace. If a rat's environment is clean there's no issue with martin's wire shelves/levels. The base will be full of litter or bedding, and you should have hammocks so there's another surface they can go to.

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
You can buy linoleum squares with a peel off backing. I use those on my martin's shelves and levels. Make sure you get them in a pattern/colour that will work well with rats and their mess (lab block dust, etc) LOL.

I get mine by the box at a dollarstore but sometimes you can get singles as well for 50 cents or a dollar.

There is also Home Depot.

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
You guys are making me want a rat :( I'm allergic :(

Anyway the linoleum is a great idea :D my only complaint is I would really recommend adding a border so they can have bedding

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
You guys are making me want a rat :( I'm allergic :(

Anyway the linoleum is a great idea :D my only complaint is I would really recommend adding a border so they can have bedding
The bedding goes in the base of the cage. This is the Martin's R-695 and the bottom levels go down to a base with aspen.

·
Zoo Keeper
1,367 Posts
I meant to the top so they have some bedding on every level even if its just a little it helps with smell and makes them more comfy :)

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
I meant to the top so they have some bedding on every level even if its just a little it helps with smell and makes them more comfy :)
They have hammocks, and I usually have a litterpan in the corner with litter in it for them. They don't need more bedding on every level...you give them options and different surfaces because each rat has their own preference. Some prefer to push bedding out of the way so they can lie on the hard plastic base, others prefer to sleep on shelves while their friends all cuddle in hammocks.

·
canis lupus familiaris
552 Posts
I had metal bottoms on my cages and for the most part, I put down things like cardboard for them. They thought it was an awesome floor toy lol. I also had some chopped wood down (which also wears down the nails.) I had a couple of hammocks which helped them get off wire when they ate the floor.

Think of it this way though. Bumblefoot can be treated. Poison from plastic and choking doesn't always work.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You can buy linoleum squares with a peel off backing. I use those on my martin's shelves and levels. Make sure you get them in a pattern/colour that will work well with rats and their mess (lab block dust, etc) LOL.

I get mine by the box at a dollarstore but sometimes you can get singles as well for 50 cents or a dollar.

There is also Home Depot.

I love your cage from what I can see...what kind is it?! What are your favorite toys that you have included into it?!

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
It's an R-695 from Martin's Cages. It depends on how many rats you plan on having on what size to get. I like the R-680 for 2 or 3 small girls as well :)

That cage was setup on the fly for those babies...they were supposed to be killed so I didn't get a lot of time to decorate for them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts