Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, the other night we discovered a opossum in our backyard "playing possum". :lol: Sounds funny, eh?

I'm sure ya'll know but when a opossum feels threatened they play dead. It's their defense mechanism. They really do look dead too!! Didn't move a muscle the whole time we were staring!

As soon as we discovered him, we put the dogs in the house but it was Manto that caused him to play possum I'm sure. And you want to hear something gross?? Manto licked him all over! The opossum was soaked! I mean REALLY soaked from head to toe!!! Ewwwww! NO kisses for me from Manto that night!! LOL

It took him about 10 mins to *wake up* and slowly wander off. Hope it didn't take him too long to dry off. :goof:

Anyway, here are the pics we managed to get.....

·
PT's Troll Hunter
2,687 Posts
:roflmao: That is hilarious! I didn't know they actually did that, Jodi! Opossums make me think of the ROUS's (Rodents of Unusual Size) from the Princess Bride and therefore I DO NOT LIKE THEM! (Directed to crazy Jane! :lol: ) But yuck!! Manto really drenched the guy, didn't he!? I'm suprised he layed there like that for it, how's he know he wasn't about to get gobbled up??? Guess they'd rather die than get away I guess!! Good thing Manto just wanted to give kisses to his new buddy, and that he's not a wolf!

·
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome
2,224 Posts
How nasty. :lol:

And of course, Manto giving him a 'bath' just made the opossum look more dead! :roflmao:

I'm not too fond of opossums when they are adults, but they're cute as buttons as babies. :lovies:

·
Poo dont scare me!!!
3,758 Posts
Wow! Thats funny that Manto licked him...gross but funny! :lol: Harlie came head to head with one last year when she was staying with her grandma...but that opossum didnt back down or play dead...bout gave Linda a heart attack!! LOL!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Your lucky every opossum I have ever seen has been mean and nasty. The pictures are really neat I can't believe it just layed there!!

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
It looks scary.
And very soaked from the dog.
My dog always used to try and bite hedgehogs but the hedgies always won

·
Dinky Corsetkisser
4,020 Posts
we have a ton where I live, but they never play dead...we have to be very careful though because my dogs are small and they would get tore up...

I think they are funny little critters and they crack me up...one keeps getting in my garage and it scares the heck out of me...we nick named it godzilla, I thought it was a huge rat at first lol...we take it out and it finds a way back in...

Unfortunatly there are way way to many hit by cars out here, I live out in the country and its just so sad :( my dad had a pet one that hung from its tail in my dad fireplace where he placed a stick...yeah I come from a wierd family I know

1 - 14 of 14 Posts