Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Will It Ever Change?
7,346 Posts
indeedy you're right, the pictures, they do not work!

·
Guarded by Waffles
2,921 Posts
I would love to tell you but I don't know. Cute pictures though

·
Will It Ever Change?
7,346 Posts
it works now!! i know nothing but i'll guess netherland dwarf because im dutch lol

·
Registered
145 Posts
What adorable ones you have there! So gorgeous.

Im not sure on the breed either, is hard to tell sometimes as some rabbit breeds look similar.

How old are they?

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
How old are they and how much do they weigh? That would help a ton :). They are cuties!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi all,

I have them in India and was lucky enough to get them locally here in India. Unfortunatly the person whom I got them from doesnt know much abt the breed etc. The photos r of a few weeks ago,when I believe they were 2 months old.

by the size of their ears,I don't think they r of a dwarf breed.(srry Mulder!!)

I hope this helps all u knowledgeable people out there.

I wud also appreciate some help in how to train them,especially for when they go to the toilet.(BTW,their toilet is little balls of black.is that OK? What shud I expect when they grow up??)

·
Will It Ever Change?
7,346 Posts
lol it was just a guess! no need to apologise lol it's not like i have or know about rabbits (i'm sure i said that :p)

·
Registered
710 Posts
They're cute little ones...if it weren't for the ears I would say they look like holland lops because they look a lot like our baby but HL's ears don't go up like that....hmmm oh and yes they're poops sound fine.

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
I'm thinking they are probably mixes though it's hard to tell until they are older since their coloring could change.

They might be New Zealand Whites or a mix of those.

Oh, and as for litterbox training get a big cat litterbox and put it in the corner where they tend to go to the bathroom. Put some hay in the litterbox since bunnies like to eat and poop at the same time. If you see them use it you can give them a small treat.

But keep in mind that if they aren't spayed/neutered in a few months then littertraining might be pretty hard. Intact males are almost impossible to completely housetrain.

·
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes
2,934 Posts
As Ziggy and Smores mom (guinea pig section) says - is cute a breed? Because they are definitely CUTE!

Don't worry I have no idea what my two buns are. When I asked their vet she just laughed at me and said they were bunnies.

I agree with Sasami - if you want them litter trained get them spayed and/or neutered. Oliver did pretty well with his litter box before the neuter but Ophelia was awful! That is until she came home from the spay. From that day forward she was perfect with the litter box -of course that was before Penelope (newest bunny) came along. But that is beside the point.

Congratulations on your beautiful new babies. If you have any more questions I am sure that everyone will be more than happy to help you.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
More than cute,each of them has such different personalities. Betty is much less scared of noises than Barney. He jump vertically at oises(rather funnily!!)and then scarpers to some corner.He has found areas that havent been cleaned properly under sofas etc to squeeze into_Once his he returned with a reall dirty ehad full of dust.He has managed to crawl under the bed,to a point of no mans land.(ie: Cannot be reached with a broom from either side of the bed!)He returned looking like Laurel and hardy,after a comic construction escapade. Betty on the other hand is much calmer.She also has a varied appetitie.Whereas barney sticks to greens and rabbit feed,Betty likes apples,bread,rusks,indian chappati etc.I am trying to get Barney to improve his range of food also but it is proving difficult.
As for training, I sometimes think I have succeeded in getting them to litter on a folded piece of cloth.Infact,daily,I c more and more visits to teh place and remenants left behind.Bett seems to like a shag pile floor mat.But when I hide that, she goes on the correct place.I have tried to rabbit proof my rooms with netting,but have intentionally left under the bed etc.available so they feel safe and have a place to hide. The worst thing is getting them out of there at night,when it is time for them to go into their home for bed.The long time I have to bend and crouch under the bed to coax them out is playing havoc with my back.(But I must admit I love it!!)
I am finding it difficult to discipline them.At times I have found my self scolding them as one would a little child,before realising what I was doing.They just give me(especially Barney) those big Bunny eyes and I can no longer b angry at them?/I think they know that and use it whenever they can!!
I hope they grow up to be well brought up and socially responsible adults...(there I go again treating them like children...)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The more I research, the more they look like New Zealand Whites to me.BTW, how does one recognise their gender?? I hope I am not giving them an identit crises for later life by calling them the wrong gender all teh time!! lol....

BTW, Both of them have suddenly started finding the wall plaster tasty?? I don't know if there is something in the mix in wall plaster in India which appeals to them??Oh yes, and barney has developed a liking for licking my elbows as I lie on the floor next to him?
I know dogs did that but did not realise bunnies do also? Do they?
What is the growth rate of these fellows? Barney suddenly seems a lot larger today?

And also, any ideas when they start mating?? I read somewhere tht the does are able to conceive quite fast after their birth.is this true? Surely their organs aren't developed yet?(Even though their sexual appetites may have...))

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I forgot to ask, is there any harm in Betty eating wall plaster?(Apart from slowly ruining the look of my walls). I mean health wise for her?

1 - 20 of 89 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.