Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Poooooppp!
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently keeping my two bunnies in a custom built bunny condo, which is working great, yesterday (and I've noticed this in the past) I cleaned up their condo and cleaned their litter box and everything and this morning there were droppings all over the first floor of the condo and even some outside along the condo. they're not in piles, but more like spread around, which I know is a territorial marking, does this mean they don't have good litter habits? or is this normal behavoir? do rabbits ever stop doing this? They mostly keep their droppings in their litter box but this seems to be something that's happening often and it's such a mess, they never pee anywhere other than their litter box.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I am curious to know the answer to this pne myself. I just got my new Flemsish Giant andhe is pooping an peeing all sorts of places in his run. I figure he is marking his territory foir now. He is also rubbing his shin and face on the trees and logs that are in there. Hmmmm
I iwll wait to see how people answer this one.

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
How long have you had them and are they fixed?

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
I think a lot of it depends on the individual rabbit. Rabbits that are spayed/neutered are, in general, much better about using their litter boxes than one's who aren't fixed. Also young rabbits, like most babies, are very messy.

With that being said - I do have one 4 year old neutered male who is not amazing at using his litter box. He's not horrible - most of the time he pees in his box, but he poos a lot outside the liter box and occasionally pees outside the box and nothing I have ever tried has broken him of the habit.

Have they been in the condo for long? If it's new to them at all, the marking may die down after awhile.

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
Right after you clean thier cage, they might go on a re-marking frenzy. :rolleyes: It does (usually) get better with age though. And of course spaying/neutering.

·
Poooooppp!
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They're both fixed, and I've had them for about 3months, the condo is relatively new, they are kids though, possibly 4months or so. I guess that's what it is, it's annoying though...

·
Salamander Burgermuffin
2,612 Posts
It seems like mine does this too, whenever i do any major cleaning on her cage. I think she has pretty good litter habits, she always has a couple stay poos around the cage, and Shes very rarely pees outside the litter box, but after i do a major cleaning on her cage, i have to go around and sweep up all the presents the next morning lol. i think its kind of a -hey how dare you come in my house and touch all my stuff!- type thing

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
Individual bunnies, training time, whether they're fixed or not, what other types of animals come by close enough, etc. . All these things could be contributing to everyone's poo problems. Acacia NEVER poops outside her litter box anymore, she did when my minirex was close by in a separate pen bc they smelled each other. Those were territorial poops. My mini rex had terrible litter habits-especially as she got sicker- and poops were everywhere always.

Bunnies like to keep their cages clean and totally theirs. If any other animal comes by it might explain them marking the bottom shelf once its cleaned. Just scoop them and put them in the litter box, do it 30 times a day if necessary. Eventually they might learn that poop goes in the litter box with pee.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts