Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boyfriend found one of our degus, lulu, lying on the bottom of the cage, not moving. He took her straight over to the vet who did an x-ray but could not find anything broken. The vet said it could be a back injury because she is not moving her hind legs at all and has them out to one side lying down like a dog. She said there was nothing we could do onlly keep her warm, keep an eye on her and give her some food and water. The next day the vet gave us something to put through lulu's water because she's not really eating. She also told us to try and do some physio with her back legs. She leaves her legs straight most the time, esp one, but we have seen her move and bend them a few times, Has anyone else had anything similar with their degu? Any ideas on how long this could take to heal? Also how much of the mixture should she be taking a day? She's been having about 10ml a day. is this enough??

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
i personally think that you should see another vet, something definetly sounds wrong, but i dont own degus. i hope that your baby will be ok .

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
What's in the mixture? Is it Critical Care or something? The vet should be able to tell you how much to feed.

I'd consider getting a second opinion and make sure the vet is experienced with small mammals.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies! We are going to get a second opion tomorrow. There is a small animal clinic in our town but on the evening this happened that vet was away so we had to bring her to another vet. The vet gave us electrolytes to put in her water. Its not critical care but i think it's something similar. I hope she'll be ok! She's breaking my little heart. :(

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
Critical Care is really useful in situations where the animal can't feed properly, I'd recommend it if your vet has it :).

Good luck with her, I hope the other vet can help more.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My boyfriend brought her to the other vet today. She said its good news that lulu has survived this long! She gave her an anti-inflammatory and gave us an antibiotic to give to her. She also told us to put a hot water bottle in with her. She's not sure whats wrong with lulu either, she said it could be anything like a back injury, could be nerves, could be her brain or could even be an infection of some sort!! We showed her the sachets of stuff that the other vet gave to us to give her and she said that they will help. I'm away at the moment but my boyfriend was telling me that she wont feed for him at all today! He's even tried the syringe as vet said she might be too weak to take from her normal bottle. But he did say that she seems to be moving around her box a little more and the other night he came home late and lulu was out of her box lying on the cage floor! I really really hope she's gonna be ok. I'll keep ye up to date to help anyone who might have a similar experience.

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
Thanks for the update, I'm glad she seems to be improving :).

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
I'm very sorry for your loss :(.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
awww im so sorry :(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts