Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
canis lupus familiaris
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys...someone explain this to me. What is behind all the litterbox/patch/pad taboo? I see a lot of bashing people for training their dogs this way. Some even say something as uneducated as "it teaches your dog to go everywhere in the house." Knowing that some people train their dog to one part of the yard and elderly people that cross pad/outdoor train, I'm not understanding where this came from?

I understand that some people are too lazy to take their dogs out which is unacceptable (quite frankly they're probably too lazy to clean the box too) but this makes it harder for apartment dwellers and elderly people to get easy info. I considered it because dearest Spyro is getting older and Loki has a bladder holding issue and all I get is "YOU'RE TOO LAZY TO TAKE YOUR DOGS OUT." Well not really...I work 8 hours a day most days and go to school. My dogs get long walks and dog park time...and I'm sure theres others out there like me. I just don't want to use pads due to them not being very eco friendly and quite expensive. My boyfriend's grandma is 68 years old and uses pads. While Beau is trained to go outside, sometimes she can't move fast enough to let him out. I brought that up to a group before and they had the nerve to say "well she shouldn't own a dog then."

So in short, anyone know why there is such a bad rep for indoor potty training?:confused:

·
It's all for them
603 Posts
Wow, that sounds like an awful forum, wherever you were posting! Hopefully someone will have some help for you here!

I know a little about dogs and training, but not enough to comment on this particular issue.

Some extra info might help people formulate answers such as how old are your dogs, and what size are they?

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
I think its a harsh issue similar to something like declawing (I don't want to re-fuel that fire here) and the whole holier than thou phrase, "you obviously don't love your pet" scheme. As much as the elderly need their pets (that I strongly believe in) many peta freaks advocate a stronger opinion that if you cannot care for the pet properly then they shouldn't have it. They never have a real foundation for what is considered proper either. I know this because when I was 14 and into peta I protested the thought myself... While hypocrisizing bc at the time I had no job and could not take my own pets to the vet. The people claiming that an elderly woman is too lazy to care for her dog are useless impractical fools. I would pay them no mind, they have a peta mentality which NEVER backs itself up with a strong ethical or moral argument with facts and stats. (*can you tell I was just studying for a couple hours? -_-)

While the needs of dogs are not met by people with disabilities and such, or cannot be fully met then yes, the pads indoors are probably only going to cause more problems. Little toy breeds like yorkies and pomeranians were bred solely as companions. They actually don't mind peeing indoors on paper bc some simply don't like the weather sometimes. I worked across from an old age complex for a few years and one man always brought in his Yorkie (it was like 13-16 while I worked there, then died). The dog's name was Barney and he outlived his brother Fred. Barney ran around the store for his exercise and his owner carried him in his coat for weather protection. The dog peed inside at all other times in its old age.

What I personally wouldn't agree with is a high energy dog like any terrier bigger than but including shih tzu's being enslaved inside.

My just about 14 yr old terrier stills gets his walks everyday, they're just shorter in duration than ever before. He also is left at home for extended periods of time while we work or at school. While we are gone he wears a diaper just in case he needs to pee (based on seperation anxiety, not the ability to hold it). When he does have an accident he puts on the full guilt face and gets mopey and emo while we clean it up. So I know I could never expect him to feel good about peeing inside. But if it was practical and I could place down a tray and papers in a room where I wouldn't have to smell it (or smell like it) I would totally train him. I find it's been more work having to physically life him all the time what with my back problems.

So I can see both sides of the spectrum on potty training pads.

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
I prefer to take dogs out side if at all possible. Many people with pee pads aren't taking them out on walks either. Also some dogs walk and go and there for start on the paper and then end up on the floor.

It doesn't teach them to go anywhere in the house unless they use newspaper as then it can teach them to go on ANY paper. Its all on how you train. If you train pee pads improperly and then scold the dog for going not on the pad or not fully on the pad you get an unhappy confused dog.

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
My boyfriend's grandma is 68 years old and uses pads.
I had to re-read this a couple times LOL, and I sure hope there is a dog involved in this. :lol:

I let my dog outside, but I've always thought pads would come in handy when it's -15*F outside or there's a thunderstorm. Poor Chuey is always really reluctant to go out in those conditions, and I don't blame him!

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
I think maybe they get a bad rep because people have bad experiences with them? I know a few people who have trained their dogs to go indoors successfully but I know far more people who tried it and had it cause problems.

I was very interested in the idea when we first got our dog. We live in an upper story apartment with no access to a yard, so getting ready then walking the dog downstairs and outside and to a nice grassy area where he can do his business can be quite the task sometimes, especially in bad weather, the middle of the night, or when the dog waits till the last minute to tell us he REALLY needs to go out.

However I pretty quickly found out that it doesn't work so well for all dogs. To be blunt, it worked horribly for our dog and I wished for a long time that I had never tried to train him to go indoors. I feel that it really set back his potty training (getting him to go outside) and he started confusing household objects like area rugs and blankets with potty pads. Having a confused puppy who thinks he's suppose to pee on anything remotely resembling a potty pad is not fun. It took me about 8 months after all that to finally retrain my dog not to go inside at all.

I do tell people my experiences, not meaning to bash. I don't feel that it's a good solution for every dog. Also, I always recommend potty patches or litter boxes over pads because for dogs who might get a little bit confused, like mine did, those items are a bit more distinctive than the pads are.

I don't know why you aren't finding info though? I was able to find plenty of info about training dogs to go indoors when my dog was a puppy.

·
canis lupus familiaris
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had to re-read this a couple times LOL, and I sure hope there is a dog involved in this. :lol:

I let my dog outside, but I've always thought pads would come in handy when it's -15*F outside or there's a thunderstorm. Poor Chuey is always really reluctant to go out in those conditions, and I don't blame him!
oopse yeah Beau uses the pads NOT her :giggle:

See the thing is she does take him for walks and does let him out. In fact everyone I know that trains to the pad does take their dogs out...its just a matter of when. I mean sure she walks slow but Beau doesn't mind. He is a yorkie x poodle and a terribly spoiled one at that. But when she is in pain (she has a nerve disorder) she can't always get to her back door in time. He tries to wait but we all know what its like when you really have to go. If he can't hold it anymore, he runs to the pad. Mind you she does taxes and all sorts of payroll junk and stuff for a living. She has paper ALL OVER her office and he has never went on them. Maybe a different feel?

·
Fluffy Gerbilshorts
4,378 Posts
So what you are saying that your grandma's dog does use the pads and doesn't go anywhere else in the house? I don't see any problem in that.

I do have some things to say (not directed at you whatsoever)

What gets me is people will use the potty pads like the end all solution. They won't bother to even try to house train their dogs and expect them to use the pads their entire lives. IMO that's just expensive, and well gross. Dogs can be trained if you just give them the chance. There are also people who like to crate train their dogs which I don't think is a bad thing, but when do you stop using the crate? Everyone I have encountered that have used crates have used them indefinitely and have even used them as punishment tools for their dogs. I think that is wrong because then the dog assumes the crate is for their punishment instead of their protection.

My dog came from a place where he had almost 24/7 access to the yard and he was pretty potty trained IF HE WAS LET OUT. When I got him, his owner left him locked in the house for hours at a time and he didn't get the chance to pee, so he did indoors. When I took him all she said was the he peed in the house..
When he came to live with me he did have his problems at first because he wasn't let out on a regular basis and he thought it was okay to go inside. The poor dog only went on linoleum floors and never on carpet which makes me think he knew the difference. After he started living here, I took him out, or made sure someone here took him out on a regular basis, like once every 2-3 hours (whether he ate or not). He has adapted well to the schedule and pretty much pees on command now.

I can see the potty pad thing being a taboo because of all the bad things you hear about it. I haven't searched it out but I do know people who do use pads and honestly they are just lazy. I know a lady who still uses pads and her yard is completely contained and HUGE and all she has to do is let her dogs out. She is constantly complaining that her dogs aren't potty trained yet. IMO she isn't even trying and she's using the pads because they are convenient to her.

Maybe if your grandma doesn't want to use the pads, she can get her dog on a 2 hour schedule and see if that works. But if the pads are working for her that's a good thing :)

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
As long as she takes him out I don't see the problem either. I mean, like I said before old people NEED the companionship. And dogs got the perception to sense the differences in their owners so I'm sure her dog is okay with her.

·
canis lupus familiaris
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I totally agree Pinkie. Just generalization makes me a very angry panda. Kinda like the generalization that ALL pit bulls are bad and that ALL greyhounds are speed demons, and...so on.

I mean I know people that potty train inside and yes are VERY clean about it. They just live in apartments and are away during school and work hours and live alone (unlike me) and like I said...when you gotta go....

Although I think what really opened my mind was my friend's family and their five cats. No litter box...they all asked to go outside. Of course they were on a schedule so they all asked around the same time. There are probably tons of cat people that would argue that shes too lazy for not using the box. Just like dog owners are too lazy and do use the box? I mean if you don't clean up after your pet, yeah you're lazy lol.

·
Registered
82 Posts
We had our two other dogs before we got Tucker three weeks ago. I have never had a dog that used pads, but with Tucker only being 2.8 pounds and unable to get up and down the stairs, and with the urgent diarrhea issue we have been dealing with, we picked up a box and they have been a God send. And this smarty pants knows exactly where to go and ONLY goes on the pads. We do take him outside as often as we can and of course all of our dogs get adequate walks/exercise. But at night when he's having a poop every 10 minutes or when it's pouring rain and he's so tiny and shivering his booty off, he does use the pads. The bigger he gets and when the diarrhea is in control, he does go outside more and in the next couple of weeks we will make the complete transition. But if he was never going to get any bigger I would not have a problem with him using puppy pads. I mean, at 10 weeks old this puppy hits those pads EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. How can I complain about that?

·
Registered
802 Posts
For smarter dog, there is patio door where dogs can pass through and have access outside to go potty but that takes lot of training and should have safe and enclosed yard.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think that if you still have your deg out, whether it be by you (or someone else if you are incapable of doing so), they are great to have as a back up. Better than cleaning the mess all over your floor or carpet!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think that if you still have your deg out, whether it be by you (or someone else if you are incapable of doing so), they are great to have as a back up. Better than cleaning the mess all over your floor or carpet!
I agree. It happens as you get older, whether you are a human or animal. Having extra options are always a positive in my opinion.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts