Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone-
We just got a 16 wk old great pyreneese puppy. Potty training has been going well when we are at home but he is having multiple accidents at night and when are at work and he is in his cage. I have been waking up in the middle of the night to take him out and this is helping but he is still going pee and poop and then rolling all in it daily. Any tips?
Stacey

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey everyone-
We just got a 16 wk old great pyreneese puppy. Potty training has been going well when we are at home but he is having multiple accidents at night and when are at work and he is in his cage. I have been waking up in the middle of the night to take him out and this is helping but he is still going pee and poop and then rolling all in it daily. Any tips?
Stacey
Hi Stacey,

It's tough for a little puppy to hold it all day - their bladder is still small as a puppy and its difficult for them to hold anything longer than 4 hours. For overnight, I suggest taking away water about an hour before bedtime, and then going outside right before bed. Dogs in general do not enjoy relieving themselves where they sleep - so that's an indicator that he is unable to hold it at this time.

Is it possible to come home to check on him at lunchtime?

So here is what I suggest: Potty when get up, breakfast (should have water available all day), potty before you leave, come home at lunch - lunch, potty (if able to), potty when you get home, dinner & potty, remove water an hour before bedtime, potty right before bed.

I know it goes without saying - never push the pups nose in its mess, never hit it, and you cannot scold unless you catch it in the act of messing inside. From what I've seen, most pups who are aware that they are supposed to go potty on a pad or outside and get it wrong already feel ashamed about it - every dog I've trained has been like that.

Make sure you praise when the pup is able to go outside so he knows that's good. With time his bladder will hold longer.

i hope that helps!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Hey everyone-
Stacey

<3 <3 <3

I hope your Pyr brings the same amount of joy into your life as mine do. DOGtor makes a great suggestion on limiting the water. Scheduled meal times will help you figure out the timing of his movements too. If you can, I agree with checking in during your work hours or seeking out a pet sitter for the next month that can stop by. If you can't, just understand that he is going to make a mess from time to time and potty training will be slow going. I know how big that poop is. I certainly don't want it in my house.

How big is his cage? Did you purchase a crate for him to fit as an adult? If the sleeping quarters are the right size they will avoid going to the bathroom. Too big, they don't care. Pyr's grow before your eyes so it won't be long before he grows into or out of the crate.

Harley is 6 months and when he was between 3-4 I swear this little dude pooped more than he ate. However, I was part time and the most he ever spent in a crate was 5 hours. He always made it through ok. Noah was not crated but had the run of the backyard during the day. So long periods were never a concern.

I worry about your guy since you say it's happening daily. If it's not due to a random routine or excessive periods in the crate it could be a health concern. Depending where your pup came from be sure to have him checked. Mine came from working farm dogs so they had extra unwanted stuff in their gut.

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
a good quality food will make them poop less as well. if he is pooing several times a day it may be because of food.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We found out that he has a parasite so he is being treated for that. Hopefully that will help but he is still peeing. I bet he just can't hold it that long. Hopefully it will get better with time. Thanks for the advice!!!

·
Registered
167 Posts
well if you can catch him having the accident its best so he knows he isnt supposed to. but if you cant you should rub his nose in it say no and toss him outside so he knows he goes outside and not in the house. (thats what i did, he never goes in the house now)

you may also want to try those puppy pads or whatever they are? my aunt was told to try those but she never did so i dunno how well theyll work cause i never used them.

also is your crate to big for him? because my little dog goes pee and poop in his crate still because its to big. and i would suggest leaving him in it cause dogs dont like their poop or pee

·
Registered
374 Posts
I would not recommend rubbing the nose in the mess for a couple of reasons. In my opinion, it does nothing but associate an extremely negative interaction between owner and dog. There are methods that are effective and less damaging to the relationship these first few weeks should be building. The other, I want to kiss that nose.

·
Registered
69 Posts
You can buy him a specialized bowel and pee basin inside the crate or buy him a crate which has this functions. This will surely help you from those sleepless night you have with your dog.

·
Lovin' my pack!
774 Posts
You can buy him a specialized bowel and pee basin inside the crate or buy him a crate which has this functions. This will surely help you from those sleepless night you have with your dog.
Def NOT a good idea if you are trying to keep him from going in his cage!!!!!!!

You chose to get a pup, you HAVE to make sure you or someone is available to allow him to relieve himself every few hours, my pup is 14 weeks old now, totally crate trained since 10 weeks old, she gets out time in the house in increasing amounts of time to establish housebreaking as well.

A cage size where they are just able to lay comfortably and not much more room is best. They don't soil where they sleep unless they absolutely can't help it like said before. If you cant allow more potty breaks somehow, the crate training/housebreaking will take much longer than it should, if it does at all.

Sad as many dogs are rehomed because of housebreaking issues.

15 years and many dogs later,crate training has been the most effective way to housebreak.

I wish you luck, keep us posted on the progress :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts