Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WELL, we finally took the plunge, after a year and a half without furry kids. Marc and I decided we really wanted to be parents again and I missed being a ratty mommy so much (as you all know) but we decided this time around that we wanted to get rescue/shelter rats to give some a good home (and knowing how many unwanted and abondoned kiddos there are out there), so we visited a terrific local rat rescue I found called Best Friends Rodent Rescue (BFRR.com) in Kenmore, Washington. This rescue place actually took in 80 of the famous rats from the Hoarders rat show with Glen the hoarder. Well, lo and behold, there were two unwanted "oops" litters that a woman brought combined to the BFRR shelter that morning.

Interestingly, the two boys we brought home actually came from the two different litters that were both sired by the same male (who has since been neutered!)

So, our boys are half brothers and they were born two days apart. One of them was born on Feb. 13th, and his half brother was born two days later on Feb. 15th, so, at the terrific suggestion by the woman who runs the rescue, we decided to combine their birthdays right in the middle and make their official birthday February 14th, Valentine's Day, which is so karmic and fitting as they were our instant loves. Today is their 5 week birthday.

Long story short, Marc and I held several babies, and we let the babies pick US. Two boys definitely picked us out from the word go. Out of all the babies, two of the boys immediately looked up at us, laid out on our arms, relaxed in our hands, and even bruxed and groomed themselves. It was like they were saying, "Okay, we really love you guys, so let's get out of here and go home!" That settled it. Love at first sight.

One looks like he is going to be a black ratty and he has a white berkshire type belly. The other seems to be a hooded but with only one black spot on his back (maybe a bareback or dalmation ratty in the genes? Any guesses from some forum ratty marking experts?)

They were so relaxed and completely unafraid from the get go. We just got them two days ago and they have already made themselves at home and love shoulder sitting, hair grooming and lap lazin' already. They go from zero to sixty miles per hour at the drop of a hat. :D

Now for the names. We went through about 14,000 different name ideas from every corner of the globe, trying to decide on what would really fit their larger than life personalities. We finally decided on two names that really work for them. Achilles and Maximus!

Our black and white hooded boy we named Achilles, after the brave hero of the Trojan War (yes, immortalized on film by Mr. Brad Pitt in "Troy" ha ha), and our black boy with the berkshire belly is Maximus, named after the fearless Roman general (of course immortalized on film by Russell Crowe in "Gladiator") I am a movie buff so I had to mention it. :rolleyes:

Maximus just fit our black boy to a T because we already noticed he eats, poops and plays to the MAX. And he is already a big boy...he has huge paddle feet and cajones already and we think he is going to grow into his name big time. A true daredevil, no fear, and with an attitude the size of New York! So there ya go. ;)

Achilles works so well for our black and white boy because not only is he brave and fearless but he also has that handsome lover boy side of him. It just seems to really work for him. While we were busy rolling a million different wonderful, florid names out over the weekend we suddenly realized we were already calling them Achilles and Max and it stuck like glue. Go figure! The names picked THEM. :crylaugh:

This post is already a mile long, so enough yapping and here are the photos. Hope they are not too big? Hope you all enjoy.

Presenting.... Achilles! Brave, handsome and full of adventure..also a big time lover boy and cuddle bug.

Presenting....Maximus! Feisty, no fear, a brave daredevil with a 'tude who is destined to be a very big boy. Also turning into a big time hair groomer and bruxer with Mom. :D

Achilles with Dad...showing off his sleek and handsome bod. :thumbsup:

Achilles, already deciding that Dad is his favorite...getting da love and quickly becoming a major lap rat.

Maximus, on the prowl, sniffing for new adventures, and generally getting into trouble!

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
congrads on your new kids!

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
:yipee: :clap: :raiseroof :jump: :hapdance:

YAAAAYYY!! I am so excited to see the photos and the names are absolutely PERFECT! This just made my day!! Oh, they are just too precious!! Achilles is definitely a hooded--he actually looks quite a bit like my rat Roger, who I had as a teenager (he and his brother Ralph were the first rats I ever had, Stanley and Russell being the second pair). And yes, Maximus is a berkshire. I just adore that white belly! :heart: :heart:

I am so happy you were able to get these photos of them, and of course I hope you'll post regularly about their adventures! (You should take videos, too!!) Oh, and Tony also says they are absolutely adorable! :D

Yay!! So happy for you guys, and happy for me, since I'll get to see them on the forum now! :D

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Aww, thanks Nibbler and Breyer!! The babies appreciate the welcome! Yay!

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Yays! CongRATS on your new babies. They are adorable. And yup you have a hooded (he would be considered a broken or mismatched hooded because he does not have a full stripe down his back) and a berkshire. Two very handsome babies.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Aww, thanks so much Vanilla! What rat mommy doesn't love to hear that other people think her rat kids are adorable?? :dream:

Yay! And yes, I guess I have a hoodie and berk, neat! Never had either of those before. They are little playful pups indeed...full of energy and kisses! :D

·
Official Loofah Tester
1,365 Posts
I am so tickled I could spit! :D I'm happy for you guys. Both of those boys are as pretty as they could be. Achilles' back spots look like two little shadow rats coming up to greet each other. And that pic of him snuggling in Marc's hand is so beautiful. Pure smiling contentment. Little Maxie looks has the pinkest, whitest little toes. He looks like he's been dancing his way through a paint puddle. Not to mention, you know how I feel about ickle 'creepy black rats'. :D <3

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Yay!! Story, you have such a way with words...so creative and you saw things in our babies that we had not even noticed before...so awesome! Marc and I just looked again and it does look like two little shadow rats greeting each other on Achilles' back! I have been calling him my little Jersey cow but now I see the shadow rats, neat! And yes, Maxie has very pink/white toes...and you know, speaking of dancing through a paint puddle...we DID notice the first day we got them, that Achilles has a wee little white spot, right under his nose, like he was drinking cream and got a spot on his lip. :) And Maxie's tail is very dark, almost all the way to the tip...except the verrrrry end of his tail tip is light...like he dipped his tail into cream. :D

So glad you like my new boys! We are tickled to death over them. We still cannot get over how very small they are...we keep thinking, "Wow, were Klausse and Wolfie ever this tiny?" We loves them soooo much. :sneakyhug

By the way, yes, as you could tell from that cuddle photo of Achilles and Marc...wow, Achilles just turns to melted butter the second he gets into Marc's lap. He will lay there bruxing with his eyes closed, completely sprawled out under Marc's massaging fingers for as long as Marc can possibly sit still. So far the record is an hour or so! Marc has been getting "numb butt" from sitting so much...afraid to move lest Achilles starts to gripe! He is a very vocal little guy...I was concerned about him squeaking all the time, and then we realized he squeaks at the drop of a hat...if his brother gets in his way, if Marc switches position during cuddle time, etc. I of course assumed, "Oh my god he is hurt, he has a broken ankle, he's blah blah blah!!!" But no. Just very opinionated Marc assures me. Have you or anyone else here ever had a very vocal squeaker baby? I still worry of course. But he runs around like a bullet, pins his brother, gets up to dickens and looks totally fit and fine, with no limping or anything. Does he just have a lot of opinions to voice to the world??

·
Official Loofah Tester
1,365 Posts
Hahaha. Yes! I had TWO. Both of my little ornery hairless. They both squeaked and squeaked. eeek! Ack! Ick! Eeeee! Eeeek! I say EEEEEK! My rats never calmed down until we gave them a surgical personality adjustment. . Of course, in our case, the squeaking was accompanied with 4 months of face offs, posturing, and general scruffy urchin behavior, punctuated in the end by increasing scuffles between the crew. That last was how I knew it was time to get them neutered. They were always worked up over the other boys and never relaxed. Then they were smooth as butter, and I swear I'm not making this up, they became EXCELLENT house keepers.

That's one thing I love about marked rats. You always find new dots on them. Skinner and Melon are genetically black berks. You can see it clearly in their younger pics back when they sported a little hair. Skinner also has one tiny little white spot on the tip of an otherwise black tail. It was how we told the two of them apart when they were younger.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ha ha!! Whew, thank ye ole rat gods....I was a bit concerned, so you just confirmed what Marc was already trying to tell me. :rolleyes: Yay! Worry wort mom here, as per usual. Sheesh!

Thanks a million Story, that is a relief! I would love to see photos of your two nekkies with their berkshire markings from when they were lil' tots. Do you have photos? Just curious!

(LOVE the eeeek! cartoon...I remember that from one of your other posts...too funny!)

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Doh! I totally missed that part of your post the first time, regarding how your boys became excellent housekeepers after they got neutered! :lol: Hee hee, I believe it actually!

Our boys seem to do a ton of tussling/squawking, rolling around all over their house doing their alpha/beta playfighting and I don't remember Klausse and Wolfie doing anywhere near that much, so I am not sure if that means anything, regarding Maximus and Achilles' future relationship. We did adopt our new boys about 2 weeks younger than Klausse and Wolfie were when we got them, but not sure if that makes any difference or not? Do younger babies tussle more?

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Baby rats are extremely playful and will wrestle and jump all over each other and play. They are like little hyper jumping beans.

·
Official Loofah Tester
1,365 Posts
Snicker "hyper jumping beans"

That's so true. Having little poingers is completely different from having slightly more mature kids. Sometimes it's a difference of a couple of weeks and it's huge. Maxie's an opinionated little monkey. I wouldn't sweat anything until they hit about 6 - 7 months and haven't settled down, then you can reevaluate.

And yah, I do have some younger shots of my hairless wonders.

One of Skinner at 2 weeks.

One of both at 6 weeks. Skinner's the one standing higher so you can see his markings more clearly.

And of course...

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow, great pics of your nekkies when they were wee ones! And yes, I totally see the berkshire markings...and LOVE those big dumbo ears! Those are gold medal winning dumbo ears, so huge! Adorable!

Thanks Story and Vanilla, regarding the playfighting. You may very well be right...we got Klausse and Wolfie at almost 7 weeks and our two new boys are not even 6 weeks yet. They were 5 weeks last Saturday. So maybe Marc and I missed some of the early playfighting and squabbling with Klausse and Wolfgang.

And yes, Achilles is definitely an opinionated lil monkey for sure! He lets everyone know too!

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Hehehe, love the cartoon and the photos of your nakeds, Storyseeker! And Vlad, Stan and Russ used to play fight/wrestle with each other all the time when they were younger. It was never malicious, although every now and then I did have to step in and tell them to behave themselves (usually when the squeaking got a bit louder and more urgent!). :lol: So, don't worry about it unless it seems malicious, and definitely not unless/until you see blood. My boys never fought like that, and most don't, so I'm sure yours will be fine. :)

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Breyer, it is good to hear other's reassuring stories about babies fighting! I do remember the rule of "no blood, no foul" when your kids are playfighting and tussling but I guess Marc and I just did not see our other boys doing much of that at all, and it could be like Story said...that we may have missed a lot of that since we got Klausse and Wolfie at 7 weeks and not 5 weeks. Story said they may have already gotten a lot of that out of their systems and that a week or two of growth can make a big difference! We can tell that they are not seriously trying to hurt each other, but it can still be hard to watch sometimes!

Vlad=Nervous and Overprotective Mother :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Hehehe, don't worry! They got used to me going up to them and in a very stern voice saying: "Boys! Behave yourselves! Be nice to your brother!" After they heard me say that, they usually looked at each other and then went off to their own space for a few minutes, then ended up cuddled up together in their blanket or box. :lol:

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yep, Marc or I will sometimes do that and say, "Babies! Be nice!" or something, and they will both stop tussling, look up at us with that look...like they are saying, "What? What's up? You need something?" ;)

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Awww Story! Cute! Love your nekkies.

My youngest rat now is Splinter and he is only about 8-9 weeks and he is always jumping all over the bigger boys and wrestling and pinning them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts