Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Well Chelsea and Polo have "tug" all figured out already :p

They ARE trying to figure out who is going to be Alpha in the pack but they are doing so "correctly". We're just hoping they figure it out fast :)

He has totally ignored the birds and seems bored with the turtles. The cat "excites him" as if it's a toy he wants to own so she's still being separated for now. She got a good whack on his tongue and actually caused it to bleed a bit! Who knew a lil black tabby could kick a 95lb rotty butt...but she did :p

He seems VERY HAPPY to be HOME! He's perfectly content in a "home" environment and Chelsea is keeping him VERY BUSY lol. If anyone is the "most excited" it's her. She seems REALLY THRILLED to finally have a "Pal" back.

cont....

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The only problem we've found so far is that he is very Possessive Aggressive. Once he "owns" something he will not give it up without a fight. Here you see us using a claw to try and remove the toy..but he'd have nothing to do with that. On a good note, he is EASILY distracted so we are able to get things away from him. It's still something we are going to have to work on for a while until he can come to grips with "giving things up". Chelsea and Polo have been "ok" around the food bowl but they are still a bit nervous acting about it so we'll continue to monitor for any food aggression...

As long as he hasn't taken full ownership of something he's a PERFECT GENTLEMEN. He just likes to get lov'n and to hang out with the people...

There's the first three pages of pics located at:
http://www.picolio.com/Gallery/Polo

Going through those will show more of his "aggression", play time, etc... they don't do him justice... but I'm worn out and just THRILLED to have him home, especially since he had a bath lol

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
He's gorgeous! Congratulations! Polo is so lucky to have you, and you're so lucky to have found him. Good luck with his training, I'm sure everything will go great. :)

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
OMG! He's STUNNING!!! Chelsea seems VERY happy to have him and I'm so happy you got him!! As far as the "possessive-aggressiveness" goes, I'm sure the more you work with him and he learns that giving something up isn't necessarily a bad thing, he'll do just fine. Kali is doing the possessive-aggressive thing right now with Orion. He spent the day at work with me since he was due for his annuals, got a bath and spritzed with doggie cologne...she thinks he smells funny :lol: So far, nothing serious, but I'm sure they'll be past it by tomorrow.

·
Wacky Chimpnose
6,239 Posts
yah!!!!!!!!!!! :clap: i can't believe you finally got him home! he's so gorgeous! that's so great that he is getting along with chelsea, too. that's really important. ;) i'm sure the possesive aggression will pass once he learns that he is in his forever home and that no one will take his things forever. :D

i'm so happy for you, deb! i bet you feel so happy having yourself a 2nd dog! keep us updated!

those pics are great!! he's too cute!!!

·
Tarzan Mama of Two
7,329 Posts
he is just stunning Deb!!! you'll have the possessive aggression thing dealt with quickly I'm sure!!! It might have been the way things had to be in his last home...he'll learn it doesn't need to be that way in your house!!! I'm sure you are happy to have another rotti to dote on!!!

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks everyone :)

I'm really excited about it, as is the rest of the family, as is Polo.... I'm now just HOPING we can deal with the behavior issues. They do appear to be serious enough to make or break us so any and all advise is welcomed...

Believe it or not that silly looking face can get real violent in a heartbeat...especially if there is food involved (food can be as simple as a stray kibble on the floor).

This twisted and crazy guy can go from sweetheart to warewolf so fast and so viciously it's quite scary. On a good note he absolutely has NOT attempted to bite a human and appears to conciously avoid it, but he seems to have no problem laying into Chelsea.... to make the issue even more fun, she has no problem going back at him because neither of them will take any guff from the other. They are both very set on being the "Alpha Dog" and since neither are pups I can only pray one will give in.

With most paired dogs I've let them take the "fight" pretty far because they need to "figure it out" but with Polo being SO AGGRESSIVE when he decides it's time and him being soooo much heavier than Chelsea, I find myself breaking them up immediately for fear of her getting hurt.

If Polo isn't upset about a food/toy issue then they are PERFECT together...run, play, sleep together etc etc... like they've been best friends for life. But as soon as he decides something isn't just as he wants it... he gets grumpy.....

I am able to put my own hands in his food bowl and pet him etc.... his aggression appears to only be against Chelsea... she wouldn't think of going into his bowl if he's eating from it but if he walks away she'll try to go to it to sniff it out (making sure he didn't get something better than what she got) and if he sees her approach it he'll come darting after her and "punish her". I've switched from always having food and water available to only offering food during supervised eating times but even that's a bit difficult...

I NEED TO RESOLVE THIS so that everything can move along as it should. 99% of the time Polo fits right into this family and we're all thrilled to death with him... Chelsea is active again etc etc etc.... that 1% problem though is a doozy so we need to find the best approach in teaching this old dog a new trick.... thoughts?

... on a side note...I've also found that SIT!!!!!! causes Polo to sit immediately with a big grin... but "Sit" does nothing for him. If I play Sergeant and pull up the deepest loudest most aggressive voice I can muster up, Polo does respond to commands. If I use my normal "command voice" he ignores me completely

·
Tarzan Mama of Two
7,329 Posts
ok Deb here is the best advice I can give you right now. Get him into a training school. By doing this not only will he learn his basic commands but it was also help make him realise that you guys are the alpha. Try and get him into a school that has a few different choices, so you can start off with the basics and then move into something more fun for him. Taking Biscuit training improved her problems heaps...problems not associated to her not knowing how to drop etc.
Then the next thing I would do is keep them on their scheduled feeding times. As soon as he is finished be there and do a training session with him. I taught Biscuit 'focus' (she sits down and looks me straight in the eye...this is so when she used to be a bit aggressive towards other dogs she'd focus on me and ignore the dog. It took a little bit but this was part of the obedicence training that we had to do with her training school) and it seems like it would be a good one for polo cause he'll get pretty distracted at first. Put him on a lead when he is eating. Then as soon as he is done take him to the other side of the room and do a training session while Chelsea gets to check out his bowl. Then as he gets better with that (don't start any of this until he knows what focus means and is training with you guys) don't walk him as far away until eventually you have him sitting next to the bowl doing tricks for you while Chelsea is sniffing it and doing her thing. If he gets protective over a toy, take him away and train with him (clicker training will be great for him...Biscuit knows that as soon as the clicker is out she is to drop everything and come running....she LOVES training so make it fun) and even at first if it is to just get him away from the toy and get his mind off protecting...and slowly increase the distraction (chelsea...just being allowed to sniff or grab at the toy before you take it off her, then her having a little play etc.) and he will learn that sharing with Chelsea is not a bad thing!! If he is food motivated click him the second he is good and then treat him afterwards. You can teach them that a click means a treat (but sitting with them and clicking then treating...click,treat,click,treat,click.....treat,click,treat,click.........treat etc. so he learns the treat is coming it just isn't straight away always) it's what I did with biscuit and it works wonders! If he isn't too food motivated then just use the clicker but getting him into a school will be the best thing. They can also help you out in many ways. Biscuit is the first dog I actually took to a school...the others I taught at home. She improved in leaps and bounds, I'm all for them now! I even drive 45 minutes to get to my school of choice for her!

·
Miss New Booty
5,875 Posts
YAY! :cheer: I have been waiting for this thread with pics, Deb!!! He is gorgeous!!!!! :heart: I'm so glad he is home with you! I really hope everything works out with Polo and Chelsea, and they get along ok and continue to make progress. CONGRATS girl!!!! :hugg2:

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
Polo is very handsome. He must be so happy! ^_^ Congrats and I hope you get the behavior problems worked out!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts