Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i had my rats for awhile now and we have been using the confetti stuff my rats like it alot i guess, but we tried the aspen bedding stuff cause it was alot cheaper for the bulk, but it was funny watching my rats walking on it, it was like watching cats with tape on their feet, now if i keep using this bedding since i got so much of it would they start getting used to it, or will it stress them out in some way cause they dont seem to like it at all?

·
canis lupus familiaris
552 Posts
Personally I HATE aspen lol. It doesn't absorb odor well and most cuts are sharp. As long as it doesn't move, its soft lol. It is probably hurting their feet.

Carefresh (i'm assuming you used carefresh confetti) is retardedly expensive. I used Cell Sorb which is MUCH cheaper, worked MUCH better, and my rats loved it....so much that they would carry it up to their hammock or rat house.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok thanks and yeah it was the carefresh and its not really the confetti one its the other one thats like the samething but not color full too expensive here, its like $25 for 60L and there isnt too much variety on bedding at the pet stores where i am at

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
I use aspen and it does absorb and doesn't harm the rats. Out of all of the beddings I have tried/used,I like it best. I have been using aspen for 10 yrs with no problems. I am the opposite because I find Carefresh is not very good. You can get shredded aspen and the chips and I usually have the shredded stuff. It is softer then the chips.

I usually mix shredded paper into the aspen as well though.

Safe alternatives are the Boxo bedding (similar to Carefresh,but a little cheaper and I find it slightly better then Carefresh),hemp (I used it once and loved it! But it is hard to find around here),Yesterdays News and shredded paper.

I am sure you know,pine and cedar are not good and I also don't recommend corncob bedding. I had a rat eat it and die from impaction, not to mention it doesn't absorb well and goes moldy fast.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I use Yesterday's News in their litter box and fleece blankets everywhere else. They love the fleece--it's super comfortable, and quite cheap because you can wash it in the washing machine and reuse it forever, or until they chew it up! :)

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Yes,my rats love fleece. I use it for their hammocks though. I buy the fleece baby blankets and fleece throws at the dollar store for their hammocks. :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i was going to try the aspen stuff that carefesh makes with the confetti like stuff and shredded aspen mixed in, and also the guy at the local pet store told me he makes his own bedding out of news paper a certain kind of biodegradble dishsoap(i guess to clean the ink or something), and lets it soak and then mixes in baking soda and lets it dry for a few days

1 - 7 of 7 Posts